The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
yeah just make another application online and it voids your previous application and replaces it.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by he3
You should click no. As soon as you have an unconditional offer you will be offered a place. Their system will update automatically once you send your PVG form.

You, sir, are a legend. Thanks a lot!
I am entering 2nd year and trying to find a flat to share with my boyfriend, but all the flats seem to be available in the next month. I won't be here in summer and would rather rent from September. When is the best time to search for one bedroom/studio flats?
Reply 303
Hi! I am 20 years old, and I will be coming to Edinburgh from the US as a second year in fall. I am really not sure what my best move is when it comes to accommodation. I think I would be a bit older than others who are in self catered, and I am not even sure if I qualify for University Housing.... Are studios or one bedroom apartments really pricey?
Reply 304
Original post by oxymoronic
Please read the other posts in this thread. We're here to help you but we've got better things to do than repeat things that have been discussed multiple times already, particularly when your exact question has already been answered on this page. If you then have questions then go ahead and ask them.

I have gone through the posts in this thread, but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think anyone has actually suggested which catered accommodation is the one to be at. I'm sorry if it has already been answered, I must have missed it, but I'm solely relying on this thread to make my decision as at least where I live, the accommodation website doesn't work. I understand you all have better things to do, but I'd appreciate it if you could please help me out a bit :smile:
Reply 305
Well, they are all in the same location, and you get given the same food, and the social scene will be the same. Some of them have nicer rooms that have been refurbished more recently, and some have en-suites or bigger rooms. That's the only difference.
Looking at the floor plans of some self-catered flats I noticed some have quite shared spaces (eg. Nicholson Street) with such a small kitchen where does one go to play ring of fire?
Reply 307
Original post by itssdj
Hi! I am 20 years old, and I will be coming to Edinburgh from the US as a second year in fall. I think I would be a bit older than others who are in self catered,

You probably won't be. In my flat, I was the youngest being 19 at the start of the year & turning 20. My flatmates were 19, 20 and 21.
Original post by ñajñaj
I have gone through the posts in this thread, but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think anyone has actually suggested which catered accommodation is the one to be at. I'm sorry if it has already been answered, I must have missed it, but I'm solely relying on this thread to make my decision as at least where I live, the accommodation website doesn't work. I understand you all have better things to do, but I'd appreciate it if you could please help me out a bit :smile:

nearlyheadlessian posted this about ten posts before you made your post. It was on the exact same page of the thread that your post was on. There are multiple discussions about which is "better" throughout this thread but as I said, the most recent one was quite literally a couple of posts above the one that you made.
Original post by signalnoise
Looking at the floor plans of some self-catered flats I noticed some have quite shared spaces (eg. Nicholson Street) with such a small kitchen where does one go to play ring of fire?

Where there's a will there's a way.
Corridors come into their own when you're a student :smile:
Reply 310
Original post by daeonica
You probably won't be. In my flat, I was the youngest being 19 at the start of the year & turning 20. My flatmates were 19, 20 and 21.

I'll be 20 turning 21.
was wondering if anyone else was going to put Beaverbank as their first choice? I'm so, so tempted. It looks so lovely and comfortable. The ONLY thing that puts me off is the distance from the accomodation to the main university buildings, and was wondering whether this will put other people off too. First year undergrad so obviously I want to try and meet as many people as possible, not sure if staying at Beaverbank would put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by FreyaAmy:)
was wondering if anyone else was going to put Beaverbank as their first choice? I'm so, so tempted. It looks so lovely and comfortable. The ONLY thing that puts me off is the distance from the accomodation to the main university buildings, and was wondering whether this will put other people off too. First year undergrad so obviously I want to try and meet as many people as possible, not sure if staying at Beaverbank would put me at a disadvantage?

:hi:
I'm definitely putting it as my first choice! I had a look round when I was in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago, and it's just like it looks on the website :biggrin: My family who live around Edinburgh were really worried about the distance, but after visiting it doesn't seem like such a problem; it's not the closest but not so far out that you're away from everything - like some people have said on here it's about half hour away. Could always get a bus pass for the year anyway which I think works out at about £400 so it's not adding too much extra expense. Also, the lady there said there will be 7 resident student type people there from September who will organise stuff :biggrin: what are you going to study? :smile:
Original post by kayleigh.jean
:hi:
I'm definitely putting it as my first choice! I had a look round when I was in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago, and it's just like it looks on the website :biggrin: My family who live around Edinburgh were really worried about the distance, but after visiting it doesn't seem like such a problem; it's not the closest but not so far out that you're away from everything - like some people have said on here it's about half hour away. Could always get a bus pass for the year anyway which I think works out at about £400 so it's not adding too much extra expense. Also, the lady there said there will be 7 resident student type people there from September who will organise stuff :biggrin: what are you going to study? :smile:

:borat:
was worried barely any freshers would put it down and it'd be harder to meet people, but then as someone's said in this post before, they've leased the whole building out this year (and it has something like 270 rooms); half postgrad, half undergrad :biggrin: so there should be plenty, hopefully :smile: it's being put as my first choice me thinks! it looks so lovely! I still haven't had a chance to go up to Edinburgh to look around :frown: so the distance isn't so bad then? would you say it's walkable/cyclable? the bus pass sounds decent though, I just literally have no idea how far away from the uni it is/which bus to get etc :biggrin: ooooh, I've heard about those resident student people! sounds super helpful, nice to talk to someone who's applying there too tbh, we may be in the same flat, you never know! :biggrin: I'm going to study English Language and Literature, what about you? :mmm:
Original post by FreyaAmy:)
:borat:
was worried barely any freshers would put it down and it'd be harder to meet people, but then as someone's said in this post before, they've leased the whole building out this year (and it has something like 270 rooms); half postgrad, half undergrad :biggrin: so there should be plenty, hopefully :smile: it's being put as my first choice me thinks! it looks so lovely! I still haven't had a chance to go up to Edinburgh to look around :frown: so the distance isn't so bad then? would you say it's walkable/cyclable? the bus pass sounds decent though, I just literally have no idea how far away from the uni it is/which bus to get etc :biggrin: ooooh, I've heard about those resident student people! sounds super helpful, nice to talk to someone who's applying there too tbh, we may be in the same flat, you never know! :biggrin: I'm going to study English Language and Literature, what about you? :mmm:

yeah, that's why they have more RAs who will organise gatherings :biggrin: the common room was pretty nice too; sky tv :biggrin: and you don't even have to go down to the laundry room to see if there're available machines; you can check online! :tongue: I didn't think so; it still felt like you were right in the middle of the city which was nice - Tesco literally a 2 minute walk away :woo: definitely walkable - seemed about how far I walk to school everyday anyway!
haha never know xD would be nice to know someone there! ah wow sounds good! French Spanish and European Union Studies :biggrin:
Reply 315
I applied for accommodation, but did it without my ID. Is that ok?
Original post by kayleigh.jean
yeah, that's why they have more RAs who will organise gatherings :biggrin: the common room was pretty nice too; sky tv :biggrin: and you don't even have to go down to the laundry room to see if there're available machines; you can check online! :tongue: I didn't think so; it still felt like you were right in the middle of the city which was nice - Tesco literally a 2 minute walk away :woo: definitely walkable - seemed about how far I walk to school everyday anyway!
haha never know xD would be nice to know someone there! ah wow sounds good! French Spanish and European Union Studies :biggrin:

sounds logical :P did they say if they've had much interest there so far? wondering what kind of people will stay there, I know it's more expensive accomodation, i'm not "well off" in the slightest, just like the idea of something more updated and comfortable and en-suite :') 've you seen the rooms in person then? :P and I know! it all looks so amazing! Online Laundry Room status? haha! that's mint! ahaha, midnight Tesco runs ftw :biggrin: haha, imagine the flat parties... ;p and ah, that seems okay :P nervous of going on a strange bus service in the first few days :redface: My offer was so high though! :frown: AAA, even with all my contextuals T-T nervous I might not get in, hope so though! have my heart set on Edinburgh :biggrin: think it might be because I'm doing English though, haven't seen anyone doing it with a BBB/ABB offer yet. Would be so good to know someone there! and ooooh, European Studies? sounds funky! :tongue:
Original post by Gales
I applied for accommodation, but did it without my ID. Is that ok?

I missed mine out on the first application I did! didn't know what ID they meant, then realised they meant the UCAS number.... couldn't for the life of me think of a 10 digit number when I was doing it though :L I just restarted my application, which voids the old one, and put it in, just to be on the safe side. Not sure if it makes a huge difference, if it's bugging you, either contact them and ask, or just redo the application form - you can do it as many times as you want, and it voids the other one(s) :smile:
Reply 318
Original post by oxymoronic
same page of the thread

Yes, I read it before asking the question. I only asked because in Spain, your student life is completely dependent on the accommodation you choose and this can make the difference between loving or hating your university experience. But having read what a few of you have said, I'm guessing your friends are divided between the different halls and the halls themselves don't have specific stereotypes, it's just the room sizes that are different. So thank you for your patience and I hope I didn't bother you too much :smile:
Is applying for accommodation on a first come, first serve basis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending