The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chancellorroberts

I see your rep hunting as per usual mate.

**** you, he'd already given me rep yesterday. :pierre:
I second the suggestions for Midnight in Paris and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I'll throw 50/50 in there too. It's about cancer but is actually quite light hearted and pretty good.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
**** you, he'd already given me rep yesterday. :pierre:

I know, I read the comment. Hope you enjoy the cookie.
"Look up 'idiot' in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word idiot, which you ****ing are!"

This has to be a joke? :facepalm2:

^
I think I just died a little :puke:
Also, my respect for Douglas Booth has fallen grievously. Why, Pip, whyyyy!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sheep_go_baa
"Look up 'idiot' in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word idiot, which you ****ing are!"

I really want to go and watch it now.

Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon

This has to be a joke? :facepalm2:

Suburban American high school setting, check. ****ty soundtrack, check. Douche former boyfriend, check. Bitchy female rival, check. Concerned parental figure struggling with teen's academics or interests, check. New love interest who the protagonist will fall in love with, have a misunderstanding with and then make up at the end after some cheesy speech/redemption, check. And it's Miley Cyrus and the film is called LOL, collective sigh.

The only films which I've liked from this 'genre/type' have been Mean Girls and Easy A.
I really want to go and watch it now.

Suburban American high school setting, check. ****ty soundtrack, check. Douche former boyfriend, check. Bitchy female rival, check. Concerned parental figure struggling with teen's academics or interests, check. New love interest who the protagonist will fall in love with, have a misunderstanding with and then make up at the end after some cheesy speech/redemption, check. And it's Miley Cyrus and the film is called LOL, collective sigh.

The only films which I've liked from this 'genre/type' have been Mean Girls and Easy A.
You're forgetting Not Another Teen Movie. :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)

You should watch Clueless, it's the grandmother of those films.

I came here to find this. :adore:
Think I might give Midnight in Paris a watch considering both chancellorroberts and JessicaW brought it up. Watched the trailer, not sure if comedy or serious drama.
Reply 6091
Think I might give Midnight in Paris a watch considering both chancellorroberts and JessicaW brought it up. Watched the trailer, not sure if comedy or serious drama.

Dramedy
^ Yup, definitely dramedy.
Midnight in Paris was a wonderful flm. I wouldn't mind living in 1920s Paris. :moon:
Anthony Hopkins as Alfred Hitchcock. Damn that makeup looks good.

Oh jeez, Francis Lawrence is going to fail do to justice to another great book. After I am Legend I've never wanted to see his name attached to anything I like. It gave me chills when he was in charge of the option to Palahniuk's Survivor for a while. Now he's been given Catching Fire.

I really wish Alfonso Cuaron was directing instead.
Original post by Phalanges
Oh jeez, Francis Lawrence is going to fail do to justice to another great book. After I am Legend I've never wanted to see his name attached to anything I like. It gave me chills when he was in charge of the option to Palahniuk's Survivor for a while. Now he's been given Catching Fire.

I really wish Alfonso Cuaron was directing instead.

I would hesitate before calling Catching Fire 'great'.
I would hesitate before calling Catching Fire 'great'.

I think it's better than the first, and much bolder in terms of scope. I absolutely loved the reveal at the end, I thought it used the first person perspective brilliantly. So yeah, from a first read (albeit very recently, so it's difficult to judge such things) I'd definitely describe it as great. I couldn't say if it's a classic or a book that will stick with me forever, but I really enjoyed it.

I'd also say it's a much, much more challenging proposition to film. There was a lot of disbelief when Gary Ross left, but I think he made a pretty shrewd decision to go out on a relative high.
Reply 6099
Finally got round to watching the Iron Lady the other day and my god was that film bad. It was a nonsense and it didn't even go as deep as 'skimming the surface' it was so horribly shallow. I really don't understand the Meryl Streep love-in for the film as well. She played the character one note, with no subtlety and in all honesty seemed to be channeling the woman she played in the Devil Wears Prada.

It was that bad I enjoyed the Immortals far more :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest