The Student Room Group

Opinions on my singing? Video included!!

Hey hey,

Haven't posted here in a while - I hope you don't mind me posting some of my videos for feedback! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXN2uCnvtdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCHvfFbgmNg

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I would appreciate some constructive feedback! :smile:

Cheers,
AJ
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Honest opinion? You're very average.
Reply 2
Original post by Vintage <3
Honest opinion? You're very average.

Fair enough :wink: How do you think I could improve?
Thanks for an honest opinion
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I think the Olly Murs song didn't suit your voice at all, but you sounded good in the second one. Your voice is good it just doesn't seem particularly powerful.
Reply 4
Original post by ~Kat~
I think the Olly Murs song didn't suit your voice at all, but you sounded good in the second one. Your voice is good it just doesn't seem particularly powerful.

Ok thank you :smile:
As long as I get feedback I will keep on working at it, thank you!!
Reply 5
Your "Heart skips a beat" cover is good to listen to, although I am not familiar with the original.

I would say your singing is good, certainly good enough for open mic nights and YouTube. I can't see you making it big as a professional singer though, as it's a bit average (average in terms of people who can actually sing).

I did enjoy the top one though - guitar, in tune vocals, violin - what's not to like?
Reply 6
Original post by Aack
Your "Heart skips a beat" cover is good to listen to, although I am not familiar with the original.

I would say your singing is good, certainly good enough for open mic nights and YouTube. I can't see you making it big as a professional singer though, as it's a bit average (average in terms of people who can actually sing).

I did enjoy the top one though - guitar, in tune vocals, violin - what's not to like?

Alright, I see what you're getting at - thanks for the kind words though :wink:
I do this as a hobby, so if anything comes of it, it's a nice bonus

Thanks again!
Reply 7
Yeah, you are pretty average. I just don't really like your timbre. (:
Reply 8
Original post by Car0llle
Yeah, you are pretty average. I just don't really like your timbre. (:

What can I say, TSR, hard to impress :P But I do appreciate all of the feedback!
I thought Patience was great.

Didn't like the first one much tbh. I think that was just the song choice though, I like your voice.
I thought you were pretty good - I preferred your version of 'Heart Skips A Beat' to the original, anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by ~Kat~

Nail on the head IMO, second song sounded good, first one was decent but not best suited to your voice.

You're hitting the pitches well and you've got the right idea - I'm sure you're a great singer in a choral setting, for example - but if there's any way you could add a bit of grit (a bit more Tom Waits and a bit less Tay Zonday :tongue:) then that'd be a big improvement.

I should add that I'm actually a terrible singer and you did a way better job than I could do, but that's just my two pence from hearing a lot of different singers. good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ritchie888
I thought Patience was great.

Didn't like the first one much tbh. I think that was just the song choice though, I like your voice.

Thank you very much! I'll try harder on song choice next time, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :smile:

Original post by whatsername2009
I thought you were pretty good - I preferred your version of 'Heart Skips A Beat' to the original, anyway.

That's a big compliment, thank you :biggrin: I was a bit unsure about 'Heart Skips A Beat', but it's reassuring to know that you liked it :smile:

Original post by Tech
Nail on the head IMO, second song sounded good, first one was decent but not best suited to your voice.

You're hitting the pitches well and you've got the right idea - I'm sure you're a great singer in a choral setting, for example - but if there's any way you could add a bit of grit (a bit more Tom Waits and a bit less Tay Zonday :tongue:) then that'd be a big improvement.

I should add that I'm actually a terrible singer and you did a way better job than I could do, but that's just my two pence from hearing a lot of different singers. good luck :smile:

Best piece of advice I've had yet - less Tay Zonday :wink: haha, but seriously, I would love to add a bit of grit on my voice. I'll work on it, cheers for some great feedback :smile:
I thought they were good. But yes, practice practice practice.
Reply 14
the second song suited your voice much better! for a moment I thought you were miming! The first one - really did not do you justice!
Gulf of difference between the two songs - Patience was much better. I think this was due to the fact that (as probably pointed out before) it gave you the opportunity to 'belt it out' a bit more, and add more power.

Still, I enjoyed both songs. Good luck :smile:
I think you have a good voice and a lot of potential but you probably need a voice coach or someone to direct you. I like your cover of Patience a lot.
I think your good, I don't like either of the orignal versions of the songs, but the second one sounds great with your voice, good luck with singing if thats what you want to do!
Reply 18
Original post by ankthebank
Hey hey,

Haven't posted here in a while - I hope you don't mind me posting some of my videos for feedback! :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXN2uCnvtdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCHvfFbgmNg

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I would appreciate some constructive feedback! :smile:

Cheers,
AJ

woah...your good .... i mean your great..... no criticism from me....just keep doing what your doing and i got no doubt in my mind your gonna hit it BIG one day.....

btw...dont listen to the people saying your average....there just jealous that you got an amazing voice
boring and zero flare.

Quick Reply

Latest