The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

God, you're right that's a lovely scarf... Do you have an offer? I'm sitting on A*AA for Theology - not religious at all, but great subject. What's your subject?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1081
Original post by geoffrz450
God, you're right that's a lovely scarf... Do you have an offer? I'm sitting on A*AA for Theology - not religious at all, but great subject. What's your subject?

Ya I have an offer for Economics :smile: My offer is A*AA, but I already have an A* in Maths so this year I only need AA this year. I can't wait for next year - Caius seems so nice!
Original post by Nadine10
Ya I have an offer for Economics :smile: My offer is A*AA, but I already have an A* in Maths so this year I only need AA this year. I can't wait for next year - Caius seems so nice!

No fair :eek: I thought they wanted the A* in UVI?
Reply 1083
Original post by Chazzer66
No fair :eek: I thought they wanted the A* in UVI?

Well this is what I think - I called the college and they were a bit fuzzy on the details. Either way, even if I have to get A*AA this year, it isn't that bad tbh. What is UVI?
Well this is what I think - I called the college and they were a bit fuzzy on the details. Either way, even if I have to get A*AA this year, it isn't that bad tbh. What is UVI?

Yeah A*AA for anyone to get this far should be pretty straightforward. UVI is an abbreviation of Upper Sixth (VI being 6 in latin), last year of school/college
Hi All! I've been accepted for CompSci with a 40 / 776 HL in Maths, Physics and English [?] offer at IB.
Reply 1086
Hi, I've got an unconditional (post a-level) offer to read English at Caius from October :smile: One of my biggest concerns about starting uni is that eating disorders run in my family, and although I personally (unlike my sister) haven't been officially diagnosed, I am underweight and extrememly fussy about what I eat. This is exacerbated when I am in difficult, stressful situations, hence my concerns about going to Cambridge; I do not wish to become sick(er). I know that at Caius we are expected to eat in Hall several times a week and personal self-catering facilities are very limited, and this will definitely be something that I find difficult to cope with as I am used to cooking for myself every day. I have heard that the disabled rooms in the SHB have much better kitchen facilities, and I was wondering whether, although I am not physically disabled, I might be allowed to apply for one of these rooms as it may go along way to helping me to maintain my weight and would ease alot of the anxieties I have about being a student. Obviously with such an intense workload and so many extra-curricular activities, I don't want my food worries to be an added pressure that prevents me from making the most of my time at Cambridge. Opinions/advice? Thank you :smile:
Original post by j_a_z_z
Hi, I've got an unconditional (post a-level) offer to read English at Caius from October :smile: One of my biggest concerns about starting uni is that eating disorders run in my family, and although I personally (unlike my sister) haven't been officially diagnosed, I am underweight and extrememly fussy about what I eat. This is exacerbated when I am in difficult, stressful situations, hence my concerns about going to Cambridge; I do not wish to become sick(er). I know that at Caius we are expected to eat in Hall several times a week and personal self-catering facilities are very limited, and this will definitely be something that I find difficult to cope with as I am used to cooking for myself every day. I have heard that the disabled rooms in the SHB have much better kitchen facilities, and I was wondering whether, although I am not physically disabled, I might be allowed to apply for one of these rooms as it may go along way to helping me to maintain my weight and would ease alot of the anxieties I have about being a student. Obviously with such an intense workload and so many extra-curricular activities, I don't want my food worries to be an added pressure that prevents me from making the most of my time at Cambridge. Opinions/advice? Thank you :smile:

They may wonder why you applied to the only college that still has such a high number of dining tickets if you already knew this. They may wonder if you just fancy a newer room. And they may not let you have a refund of the tickets so it may work out very expensive. Most people don't want to pay for tickets they don't use. So by all means email them and ask but don't hold your breath!
Reply 1088
Original post by Colmans
They may wonder why you applied to the only college that still has such a high number of dining tickets if you already knew this. They may wonder if you just fancy a newer room. And they may not let you have a refund of the tickets so it may work out very expensive. Most people don't want to pay for tickets they don't use. So by all means email them and ask but don't hold your breath!

I was pooled to Caius...
Original post by j_a_z_z
I was pooled to Caius...

I'm at Caius, and I'd advise you to get in touch with them to discuss what your options would be. I'd imagine that they probably wouldn't have a problem giving you a disabled room (there are several in SHB). In my first year, a Muslim guy who ate halal food had one of the disabled rooms, but I think he still had to buy dinner tickets. I don't think giving you a disabled room itself would be a problem (in my first year, before Harvey Court had ensuite rooms, they didn't have a problem with giving me a room in SHB because I had health problems which meant that I needed an ensuite if at all possible) but they are generally keen to erm "encourage" people to eat in hall. And getting an official diagnosis would probably be a good idea as they may be reluctant to do anything without one.
Original post by j_a_z_z
I was pooled to Caius...

They've disconnected the hobs in the disabled rooms, so the facilities you get there are no better than the communal kitchens.

You'll likely get a microwave oven and a george foreman. Lack of hobs is a pretty serious issue, you can always bring in a hob plate, but if college catch it they'll confiscate it.

Having said that, the only ones who are likely to report you would be the bedders, and they're all nice people so as long as you're polite to them, you shouldn't have an issue.

It's something I would ask college about though if I were you - they're normally quite understanding when it comes to health issues etc
Original post by ArchedEdge
They've disconnected the hobs in the disabled rooms, so the facilities you get there are no better than the communal kitchens.

Wow, really? Was this a fire safety issue or just another random decision? Caius college, you never fail to surprise me...
Original post by Crazy_emz
Wow, really? Was this a fire safety issue or just another random decision? Caius college, you never fail to surprise me...

"Health and safety" was cited as the main reason I believe. They cut off all hobs on Morty/St Paul's too.... :frown:
Reply 1093
Hey all. To those holding offers for 2012 entry, or in fact anyone who could help me out here: what's the address to which we're supposed to post our form about fees?
Reply 1094
Original post by Pensive
Hey all. To those holding offers for 2012 entry, or in fact anyone who could help me out here: what's the address to which we're supposed to post our form about fees?

the same one thats written on all the letters we got so far, like the offer letter. Did you check their website? if you are not sure, just call them :smile:
Reply 1095
the same one thats written on all the letters we got so far, like the offer letter. Did you check their website? if you are not sure, just call them :smile:

In hindsight, it would probably have been a good idea to look there. :tongue:
Original post by Pensive
In hindsight, it would probably have been a good idea to look there. :tongue:

The whole malarky with proving Im a UK applicant for college fees was all a bit silly imo, I had to apply to Student Finance and send their paperwork to Caius then decline the loan just to prove I live here! :confused:
Reply 1097
Has anyone got any pictures of SHB rooms? I can't seem to find any (aside from a double room and a shot of a corner). Also, do SHB rooms get a shared kitchen area and if so, how many rooms is it shared between? :smile:
Reply 1098
Original post by Chazzer66
The whole malarky with proving Im a UK applicant for college fees was all a bit silly imo, I had to apply to Student Finance and send their paperwork to Caius then decline the loan just to prove I live here! :confused:

Did they ask you for proof, or is this another part of the offer letter that I didn't read?
Original post by MrMorris
Has anyone got any pictures of SHB rooms? I can't seem to find any (aside from a double room and a shot of a corner). Also, do SHB rooms get a shared kitchen area and if so, how many rooms is it shared between? :smile:

I can't find any photos of just my room from first year...but I've seen what's presumably the same pic of a double room, so just imagine it with a single bed instead, they haven't changed much.

And yes, you will have a kitchen (although minus most of the features you might expect of a kitchen, such as hobs and ovens...), shared between 6 or 7.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending