The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Question A)b) on Gatsby was my least favourite however I was absolutely made up with the fact chapter 2 came up. Also I only wrote about 1 Keats poem (as well as Coleridge and Kite Runner) in section B do you think I'll be penilised for it? It seemed like enough.
I chose to write about names personally, are genres even on the syllabus?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 141
Hi all :smile:
I re-took this exam today, wrote on Hardy for section A and The Kite Runner, Curious Incident and Rossetti poems for section B...
Well the section B questions were a bit odd, weren't they? :/ Think I did alright, but I said that in June and got a D, so who knows? :P
For the Hardy questions, I don't normally like The Voice but I'd revised it :smile: and the other question was quite good, I thought :smile:
Reply 142
Original post by Vikasi
Aaaah when I read the first section B question, it had me so confused that I didn't bother re-reading and just switched onto the second one (as did most of my class, as I found out, which did seem like a godsend, especially compared to the first one!) But now that you mention book titles, I see that I took 'names' literally and didn't bother to explore it further than the characters' names (or lack of such, i.e. the Mariner or a lot of Browning's stuff).
I was very confident with how I've performed when walking out of the exam, and now you've planted some doubts in me! Still hoping for an A, though.

The Gatsby question was pretty darn sweet and easy, though.
Can anyone remember precisely what the first question in section B was?

I don't remember precisely but it was something to do with generic conventions. Needless to say I chose the second question :tongue:
Reply 143
Original post by Vikasi
Did the question focus specifically on character names? Or did it give 'names' in an ambiguous way? I forgot.

it said 'character names or how characters are referred to', i meant to mention something about amir's name meaning 'prince' in the kite runner and going off on a bit of rant about how deserving he is of that name, but i mostly focused on the titles, and for hardy's poetry, how he referred to emma
Did anyone do about generic conventions? And what kind of stuff did you write? I think I messed up in retrospect
Reply 145
Section B was absolutely dreadful! Don't know if anyone else was studying The Curious Incident but there's only so much you can write about "Christopher" "Mother" and "Father"...

Section A(i) was fantastic, only because I had predicted Tennyson's Lady of Shalott to come up, and was hoping it would be part 3.
I think I did the Section A(ii) bit wrong though after looking at all these comments :frown: Because AQA added that earlier statement about Victorian painters I thought they were helping us out a bit, suggesting we should back up our points that visual images are most memorable, as evident by the painters??
So I just wrote about bloomin Pre-Raphaelite paintings of Godiva and stuff...

Man, i think I failed... Again :frown:
Reply 146
Original post by paigums
Section B was absolutely dreadful! Don't know if anyone else was studying The Curious Incident but there's only so much you can write about "Christopher" "Mother" and "Father"...

Section A(i) was fantastic, only because I had predicted Tennyson's Lady of Shalott to come up, and was hoping it would be part 3.
I think I did the Section A(ii) bit wrong though after looking at all these comments :frown: Because AQA added that earlier statement about Victorian painters I thought they were helping us out a bit, suggesting we should back up our points that visual images are most memorable, as evident by the painters??
So I just wrote about bloomin Pre-Raphaelite paintings of Godiva and stuff...

Man, i think I failed... Again :frown:

I thought section B was okay :smile: what did you say for Curious Incident? I talked about Christopher's name being a metaphor, meaning I could talk about how much he hates metaphors :biggrin: and mother and father showing that they had no role outside of caring for Christopher.
I also wrote about other characters referring to Christopher as 'mad' and 'little sh*t', showing a lack of understanding about his condition - basically a way to get context in about Asperger's!
Original post by jahmet

Original post by jahmet
gahh i was so ready for jessie cameron to come up for Rossetti which didnt come!

Yes, I was so ready for Jessie Cameron too! Heart sank when it didn't come up, but The Browning question was a saviour! Did you do the generic conventions question for section B?
Did anybody do the generic conventions question for part B? Also, in section B when you write about a poet, do you have to write about two of their poems or is it okay to just write about one? Post-panicking a bit! :s-smilie:
Reply 149
Original post by codle
I thought section B was okay :smile: what did you say for Curious Incident? I talked about Christopher's name being a metaphor, meaning I could talk about how much he hates metaphors :biggrin: and mother and father showing that they had no role outside of caring for Christopher.
I also wrote about other characters referring to Christopher as 'mad' and 'little sh*t', showing a lack of understanding about his condition - basically a way to get context in about Asperger's!

I wrote about Christopher's name meaning a metaphor too! But I wrote about it in the way of 'judging people'. When he talks about "I want my name to mean me" or whatever, I talked about how his asperger's shouldn't define the way people act around him etc. I wanted to talk about the lack of emotion he expressed towards his mum and dad, evident by the way he refers to them as Mother and Father, but ran out of time :frown:

That last point you made is good!
Reply 150
Original post by coffeebean
Did anybody do the generic conventions question for part B? Also, in section B when you write about a poet, do you have to write about two of their poems or is it okay to just write about one? Post-panicking a bit! :s-smilie:

I only wrote about one poem and then the 2 texts. It's fine, as long as you wrote a fair bit for each text :smile:
Reply 151
Original post by mohsi
REVISION NOTES FOR:

GATSBY - CHAPTER 2
GATSBY A)b) QUESTION
TENNYSON A)b) QUESTION

Hope they help :smile:

Oh I wish I had seen these before the exam!!
Reply 152
Original post by Notorious.
Did anyone do Kite Runner for section A? Chapter 7 was a gift but the question on brotherhood was tough. What did you think?

I was made up when chapter 7 came up, but i do agree on the second question. I just wrote about Afghan culture and the respect that's bestowed in them to be hospitable to fellow 'brothers' then i spoke about how it contrasts to the mistreatment of women.. Hope i did okay.
Original post by Sarahalwan
Did anyone do about generic conventions? And what kind of stuff did you write? I think I messed up in retrospect

I did, but I think I messed it up (again) I was confused about what they wanted but I wrote about the murder mytsery and comedy as genres for Curious, the gothic for Rime of the Ancient Mariner and the bildungsroman for Kite runner. I don't think its right because I didn't know if we were supposed to write about letters, monologues, intertexuality.
Did you put anything similar? (I really hope so)
Original post by thatssoraven
did anyone do Hardy for section a? what did you take 'disappointed love' to mean?

I wrote about At an Inn that he was disappointed because they didn't have sex and he thought that the love he and Emma shared could conquer anything. Neutral Tones, the disppointment over the relationship breaking down, to argue against I wrote the trigger of disappointed love was interesting too. Not sure if its right, hate this bloody exam. What did you put?
Original post by AuroraSurfer
Generic conventions and references to characters...anyone else feeling like AQA are out to get us? :P

Absolutely!!
Reply 156
Original post by coffeebean
Yes, I was so ready for Jessie Cameron too! Heart sank when it didn't come up, but The Browning question was a saviour! Did you do the generic conventions question for section B?

no i did the names one. i took one look at the first question and was like no way am i gunna try and answer that one lol. i definitely would have started to waffle with that question
Reply 157
Original post by partickler
Saw your notes too late :frown:.

They intimidate me. I didn't revise to THIS extent! How did it go for you?

I got an A in the end. So unexpected!
Could anyone tell me what came up in the January 2012 exam?
For Tennyson, Gatsby, The rime of the ancient mariner and Enduring love.
Second A and B.
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Could anyone tell me what came up in the January 2012 exam please?
I'm studying Pride and Prejudice for Section A
The The Kite Runner, WH Auden, Browning for Section B
Would help a lot! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending