The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do british soldiers pay tax?

I believe the shouldn't have to. They are out fighting and risking their lives for our country, they shouldn't have to pay for tax especially because they spend most of their time working overseas, and the country benefits more from the army than soldiers benefit from being in the army. Does anyone think they should have to pay taxes?

Scroll to see replies

I think they should, yes, as I think everyone that can afford to should be made to contribute a little bit. In saying that I think they should be very well paid.
Original post by CraigFrew
I believe the shouldn't have to. They are out fighting and risking their lives for our country, they shouldn't have to pay for tax especially because they spend most of their time working overseas, and the country benefits more from the army than soldiers benefit from being in the army. Does anyone think they should have to pay taxes?

It's just a job, just like any other. 99% do what they do because they can't do anything else - not because of their commitment to their country or whatever other bullcrap. How far will this go? Should doctors pay tax? Politicians? It's a job so they should pay tax, end of. That's my opinion anyway.
Reply 3

The soldiers are not risking their lives for our country. They are risking their lives for the big business interests which promote the fake and corrupt tax system as a small fragment of the fake and corrupt monetary system. Welcome to the matrix.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I think they should, yes, as I think everyone that can afford to should be made to contribute a little bit. In saying that I think they should be very well paid.

If they were very well paid that would make up for the tax, but most aren't very well paid.

And I think if they are risking their life for the country they shouldn't have to pay tax. They are contributing to the country enough by protecting us and risking their life which is worth more than tax, they shouldn't have to pay tax on top of this.
They pay income tax but if living in forces accommodation, don't pay council tax.

As an ex reserve, I think they should pay tax however they should be paid more. The jobs that some of these lads do for such little money is appalling.

If the armed forces were to not pay tax, it would be unfair and administratively a nightmare. It's a job, a dangerous one, but still a job.
They don't pay tax when on duty, but do pay when they aren't serving.
If they were very well paid that would make up for the tax, but most aren't very well paid.

And I think if they are risking their life for the country they shouldn't have to pay tax. They are contributing to the country enough by protecting us and risking their life which is worth more than tax, they shouldn't have to pay tax on top of this.

It's easily arguable that teachers, let alone nurses, are as valuable to the country as soldiers. Should they also not pay tax? No, of course not.
Reply 8
Original post by hassi94
It's just a job, just like any other. 99% do what they do because they can't do anything else - not because of their commitment to their country or whatever other bullcrap. How far will this go? Should doctors pay tax? Politicians? It's a job so they should pay tax, end of. That's my opinion anyway.

Please, if you're going to spout utter bilge, at least make it vaguely realistic.

Yes, servicemen pay tax. On everything except pay during overseas operations - although they still get taxed on this and then have to apply for a rebate.
The argument is, if they're being paid from the public purse, why tax them too? But things would never work that simply.
Original post by Marlo Stanfield
It's easily arguable that teachers, let alone nurses, are as valuable to the country as soldiers. Should they also not pay tax? No, of course not.

teachers and nurses aren't risking their lives on a daily basis. They do not have to stay awake for days in a row, sleep in the freezing cold at night, train extremely hard.
I agree with the conclusion but what you are saying is a bit, ungrateful...
Original post by Drewski
Please, if you're going to spout utter bilge, at least make it vaguely realistic.

I think it's clear to anyone with a brain that I was exaggerating but it definitely is the majority. You'd be naive to think otherwise.
Reply 11
If soldiers shouldn't pay tax, should police officers? What about fire fighters? Prison officers? They all risk their lives - not paying tax for those professions just isn't practical.
Reply 12
Original post by hassi94
I think it's clear to anyone with a brain that I was exaggerating but it definitely is the majority. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

Would I?

You have no idea what motivation I had to join the Forces, or what the motivation of the 149 others who started IOT alongside me was. There are some 200,000 people in the Armed Forces, are you really prepared to make a fool of yourself and make sweeping generalisations about such a large group of people - the vast majority of whom you'll never meet?
Reply 13
Original post by hassi94
It's just a job, just like any other. 99% do what they do because they can't do anything else

The **** is this?

Don't talk such bull****, seriously.
Original post by Drewski
Would I?

You have no idea what motivation I had to join the Forces, or what the motivation of the 149 others who started IOT alongside me was. There are some 200,000 people in the Armed Forces, are you really prepared to make a fool of yourself and make sweeping generalisations about such a large group of people - the vast majority of whom you'll never meet?

I never said everyone, but the vast majority (from my experience) try to do something else first, fail - and so join the army. It is just a job, most of the people whom have that job are certainly not 'heroes'.
Reply 15
Original post by hassi94
I never said everyone, but the vast majority (from my experience) try to do something else first, fail - and so join the army. It is just a job, most of the people whom have that job are certainly not 'heroes'.

Lol.

I'd shut up now, before I actually have to start making a rational argument to explain your stupidity.
Reply 16
Original post by hassi94

1 - we're talking the whole Armed Forces - there are 3 others after the Army - and as I've said, numbering some 200,000. Your 'vast majority' would therefore need to be over 150,000. Have you met that many people?
2 - who the hell mentioned anything about heroes?
3 - I don't know anyone who stumbled across a career in the forces as a last resort. Sure, it happens to some, but that number is smaller than you think. You don't make it through the many hurdles of selection without a bit of desire, the right attitude and, in a lot of cases, a greater than average level of [certain types of] intelligence and motivation. They are degree holders, in some cases doctors and dentists, well educated people who've been aiming towards the career since their youth. I had wanted to be in the RAF since. According to your rules I must have failed when I was 9, then.

The normal addage is "quit while you're ahead". You're not ahead, but you should quit nonetheless.
Original post by Ocassus
Lol.

I'd shut up now, before I actually have to start making a rational argument to explain your stupidity.

That's my opinion, people can pretend they're heroes or whatever but I disagree (for the majority, anyway). You can make any sort of argument you want but it won't work; there's no way you can convince me that people have certain motivations or attributes.
Original post by Drewski
1 - we're talking the whole Armed Forces - there are 3 others after the Army - and as I've said, numbering some 200,000. Your 'vast majority' would therefore need to be over 150,000. Have you met that many people?
2 - who the hell mentioned anything about heroes?
3 - I don't know anyone who stumbled across a career in the forces as a last resort. Sure, it happens to some, but that number is smaller than you think. You don't make it through the many hurdles of selection without a bit of desire, the right attitude and, in a lot of cases, a greater than average level of [certain types of] intelligence and motivation. They are degree holders, in some cases doctors and dentists, well educated people who've been aiming towards the career since their youth. I had wanted to be in the RAF since. According to your rules I must have failed when I was 9, then.

The normal addage is "quit while you're ahead". You're not ahead, but you should quit nonetheless.

To be honest I just had army in mind (I don't know anyone who's joined any other forces).
Well that was targetted at the OP's 'soldiers do more for our country than vice versa' and 'fighting and risking their lives for our country' - most of them aren't doing us any favours; they're doing a job to get money like anyone else.
And again you're twisting my words as if I said all soldiers were ex-failures of something. My point is very few people (comparatively to the whole number who do) want to go to the army because of patriotism, especially in this country. This discussion is completely pointless because you're both just twisting my words - my point was that they're not working as some massive favour to us, they're just making money (and for the vast majority, that is the only way they can make that much money).
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't see why they shouldn't pay tax tbh. They should however be paid more, some of the job's I've seen are pitiful compared to what they do.

Latest

Trending

Trending