The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8100
Anyone who knows horses would have known that Synchronised would not have been 100% after dumping his rider and running down the course. He should have been retired before the start of the race (better safe than sorry?). The vet if he had made that decision would probably have been *******ed by the owner and trainer! Should he have been entered in the national at all? Different debate.
The reason we are having this discussion is that millions around the world watch and bet on the National, apart from Cheltenham (where horses have again died this year) there are not many high profile NH races. The fact is that 550kg of TB falling on the ground is very likely to result in some kind of injury even if its only bruising. Look at Kauto Star in the Gold Cup. He was still feeling the bruising from a fall in training, he shouldn't have been put in the race. If the ground is firm more severe injuries and fatalities are likely to result.
More horses die in NH racing than on the flat for obvious reasons. Somewhere in Australia they have banned NH racing because of this.
Horses believe it or not are NOT natural jumpers, wild horses do not jump around the place like gazelles. Fallen horses if they can, will immediately get up and follow the "herd" this is fight or flight and a survival instinct. They will carry on following the herd including the jumps, where they commonly fall again as there is no jockey on board to help them.
This is a massive industry, equine casualties are part of the industry. Paul Nichols saying horses are as likely to be injured in the field..... absolute rubbish, he is not helping the sport with silly comments like that.
The question is do you support the sport and if you do can you cope with the fact that horses will suffer catastrophic injuries as a result. Its a very difficult question.
Original post by ElizabethAngela
I just want to add a few points to this debate, this is just stuff that I have heard/learnt from working at a racing yard for the past year...
First, the change in whip rules- many jockeys regard that as an unsafe change- WHen you are riding a race horse, with your short stirrups, your whip is a major tool for steering- I haven't ridden in a race, but I ride the horses out on exercise, you use your whip as a method of steering, especially going to a jump.
Also, remember these animals get the best, and swiftest veterinary attention, in the event of an injury.

Are there not bigger, more important issues in the veterinary world too? Perhaps it would be interesting to consider the many MANY equine deaths that are utterly preventable, such as obesity resulting in laminitis? Crippling, and often fatal? Why are we not angry about this? In terms of numbers of cases, and the agonizing suffering of the animals, to me, this is far worse.

I work in racing, and I now have a place at vet school, does this mean I don't love animals? I have to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just thought I would share mine.

i don't think anyone is arguing that racing horses to death in the national is THE worst thing that happens, but just because there are worse crimes doesn't mean it isn't an awful thing to do. i personally think that there are equally awful atrocities committed in the name of dressage.

race horses are extremely valuable animals and usually cared for exceptionally well, which is why i don't disapprove of racing in general. i understand that it is a dangerous sport and the occasional death may be unavoidable - accidents happen. however, the grand national consistently kills and injures horses. it is a very high profile race with a huge prize fund and the welfare of the horses seems to become unimportant as a result.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8102
Original post by schizopear
i don't think anyone is arguing that racing horses to death in the national is THE worst thing that happens, but just because there are worse crimes doesn't mean it isn't an awful thing to do. i personally think that there are equally awful atrocities committed in the name of dressage.

race horses are extremely valuable animals and usually cared for exceptionally well, which is why i don't disapprove of racing in general. i understand that it is a dangerous sport and the occasional death may be unavoidable - accidents happen. however, the grand national consistently kills and injures horses. it is a very high profile race with a huge prize fund and the welfare of the horses seems to become unimportant as a result.

Bingo! I am not saying that I am anti racing, just don't agree with the national at all.

And I agree with jacko too

Just because there are worse things out there doesn't make this acceptable. It's kind of like saying.. We shouldn't pay attention to burglars because there are murderers out there. This is a very extreme example but the same thing is being applied.

I know race horses are very well looked after but that makes me question the gn even more. I fail to understand why they would risk entering an expensive horse that the grooms and riders will have their interests in, when it is practically inevitable that one will have to be killed

As for the whip rule.. Only a certain amount of hits are allowed. So they can use it for steering etc but just hit the horse less at the end surely

Thank you for the rep :colondollar: just find the grand national very hard to justify
Reply 8103
Also for you all to think about if you don't agree with the national either. My mum said to me what would I do if I was asked to be a vet at the race. Would you go because your interest is in the horses and you want to d what you can. Or would you not because you dont want part of it. Hmm
Reply 8104
The problem is that the real issue isn't being dealt with by the appropriate regulating bodies. The number of horses running, as opposed to the height of the fences or the number of strokes of the whips allowed, is the major cause of falls and therefore deaths. Just look how many horses in the Grand National were brought down by other horses! The larger the number of competing jockeys the more likely an accident will happen which compounds the problem of more horses tripping over other horses (due to less space available to avoid the fallen horse and jockey, and the more horses racing increases the chances of one falling due to Jockey error). 15 horses finished the race! 15! These are professional jockeys riding well-trained, experienced horses! In 1928 only 2 jockeys finished the course, and that was after one remounted and then came in second. If a race has only 2 people finishing you know that something has to be changed, 40 horses is just too many. There were about 5 horses running with odds of 100-1, why were they in the race? With those odds all they're doing is increasing the risks to themselves and the other horses and jockeys participating in the race! I don't think 40 riders in one race can be justified, not with the level of horse fatalities we're seeing. I'm actually for horse racing and the Grand National, I enjoyed watching it (when I wasn't worrying every time a horse fell) but the number of entrees need to be reduced to a reasonable number filled with horses who have a decent chance of placing let alone finishing the race!
(edited 12 years ago)
I think I shall dip out of this, although it is interesting to hear other peoples ethical standings on this matter.
Just one more thing, re the whip rule- and this is just what I have heard jockeys say, you can only use the whip 8 times in a NH race, which in the opinion of the people I have spoken with, is a revision that brings increased risks (also, the whips are v padded and are not allowed to leave any mark on the horse)
Just a piece of info for interest, it is not intended as more than that.
Oh and , well done guys on your offers etc, I don;t want there to be any bad blood, despite different stances on issues such as the national.
Reply 8107
Oh and , well done guys on your offers etc, I don;t want there to be any bad blood, despite different stances on issues such as the national.

Yeah it's quite controversial, just like badger culling is too! Thank you, are you off anywhere?
Its hard to believe the application process is over again, flew in :smile:
Just bought myself a set of these babies :

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=41307

Its gonna be like Christmas time when they arrive :biggrin:

Heres an amazing choooon from my fav band :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOMjqoaT0&feature=related
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lucy_x
Yeah it's quite controversial, just like badger culling is too! Thank you, are you off anywhere?

Indeed it is very divisive! I am off to Bristol! and yourself? You heading anywhere?
I'm sure these debates will pop up again at vet school!
xxx
Reply 8110
Indeed it is very divisive! I am off to Bristol! and yourself? You heading anywhere?
I'm sure these debates will pop up again at vet school!
xxx

Enjoy!! I'm going to rvc, still can't quite believe it :smile: xx
Reply 8111
Current vet students, how many lab coats do you own? I read on Edinburgh's website that they recommend buying two, one for clean and one for dirty practicals. My mother on the other hand suggests I buy at least four.. Also, I'm assuming I won't be requiring scrubs this early on in the course? Or would it be worthwhile buying them while I have the money to hand? Thanks. :smile:
Still heard nothing from rvc since accepting my offer. Has anyone else heard anything or been able to apply for accomodation?
Reply 8113
Original post by I failed badly
Still heard nothing from rvc since accepting my offer. Has anyone else heard anything or been able to apply for accomodation?

At least you've heard from them! Vet nursing applicants are still waiting for offers. Guessing you had to apply before they did though!
Nothing at all from RVC. I just want some kind of acknowledgement like "YAY, you're going to vet school!"
Original post by Marley13
Current vet students, how many lab coats do you own? I read on Edinburgh's website that they recommend buying two, one for clean and one for dirty practicals. My mother on the other hand suggests I buy at least four.. Also, I'm assuming I won't be requiring scrubs this early on in the course? Or would it be worthwhile buying them while I have the money to hand? Thanks. :smile:

Hey :smile:

Yep you definitely need at least two. Most people manage on two, I have three by accident and it makes life easy, but two is fine.

When you start dissections, you have to put aside a lab coat for that, as you do get covered in dog juice, but you also have to wear something for histology, labs and for clinical skills and the dog juice can be a little off putting. Plus they say you should where a clean lab coat for labs :P

So two works, as you can just wear the "clean" one in labs until the dissecting one needs a wash, then wear the "clean" one in dissecting and wash the really dirty one - kind of juggle them. Or I think some people manage to wear the same dissecting lab coat all the way through and just wash it at Christmas ready for continuing the new semesters dissections. But they do smell quite a lot if you do that... and then your locker smells...

Oh yeah, and I don't know if you know, but you can buy most of the things you need from what's called the Final Year Comittee(/club?) for a reasonable price :smile:

And no you don't need scrubs, you can wear them if you want in the clinical skills classes, but most people don't and lab coats are the norm
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Its hard to believe the application process is over again, flew in :smile:
Just bought myself a set of these babies :

Its gonna be like Christmas time when they arrive :biggrin:

Heres an amazing choooon from my fav band :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQOMjqoaT0&feature=related

Not only is that Wheel set amazingly expensive, your taste in music is excellent :biggrin:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Not only is that Wheel set amazingly expensive, your taste in music is excellent :biggrin:

Haha but they are a sexy pair of wheels rite ? :biggrin:
Thanks mate, Daft Punk ftw :biggrin:
Reply 8118
Guys could anyone please help on the accommodation front for edinburgh,
Like which is the best one to go to for a vet student undergraduate!
I'd prefer to be around vet students!
Any help would be great:smile:
Original post by Soph754
Guys could anyone please help on the accommodation front for edinburgh,
Like which is the best one to go to for a vet student undergraduate!
I'd prefer to be around vet students!
Any help would be great:smile:

^
i've spoken to a few edinburgh students (general students rather than vet) and it seems that edinburgh just randomly distribute students according to preference so there's no 'sciencey' building or english student dominated building, etc D: tho having said that, the only vet students i've spoken to about accommodation all live at home so maybe we should ask a couple who live in uni accom?

i personally have applied for new arthur place, sciennes and collge wynd because of the locations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending