The Student Room Group

MPharm Pharmacy at Liverpool John Moores Uni. Help!!!!!!!!!!

I got an offer of BBB for MPharm Pharmacy from LJMU and i think i might get in so i need more info about the course there. Is it any good? What are the job chances and salary of someone who graduated with that degree from this uni?
Reply 1
Original post by windo
I got an offer of BBB for MPharm Pharmacy from LJMU and i think i might get in so i need more info about the course there. Is it any good? What are the job chances and salary of someone who graduated with that degree from this uni?

Just saw your other thread :rolleyes:

With a pharmacy degree comes many opportunities and good pay!
Reply 2
Original post by windo

It's a vocational degree, just like medicine the university you graduate from is nothing, the degree classification is the important bit (1st, 2:1 and 2:2).

Maybe you should do some research as they do have an entrance aptitude test!
Reply 3
Original post by windo

The course is very good at LJMU. I have met students from nearly every school of pharmacy and I can tell you that LJMU is one of the most forward thinking courses out there. Many of the supposed 'better' schools are stuck in the past and still teach too much science out of context. However, at LJMU you do fundamental pharmacy practice from the first year which moves up to advanced community services and detailed clinical pharmacy in the fourth year.

All I can say is I knew more clinical pharmacy and therapeutics than those who went to the 'best' schools.

The job chances are nort reduced or hampered by going to LJMU. the MPharm is accredited by the regulator (General Pharmaceutical Council) so has a level standing amongst all the other pharmacy schools. LJMU has one of the highest pass rates for the final registration exam (also set by the regulator) so your employment chances will be good.

Salary is determined by the job you do, not by the uni or classification of degree.
Reply 4
Original post by TigerSwift
The course is very good at LJMU. I have met students from nearly every school of pharmacy and I can tell you that LJMU is one of the most forward thinking courses out there. Many of the supposed 'better' schools are stuck in the past and still teach too much science out of context. However, at LJMU you do fundamental pharmacy practice from the first year which moves up to advanced community services and detailed clinical pharmacy in the fourth year.

All I can say is I knew more clinical pharmacy and therapeutics than those who went to the 'best' schools.

The job chances are nort reduced or hampered by going to LJMU. the MPharm is accredited by the regulator (General Pharmaceutical Council) so has a level standing amongst all the other pharmacy schools. LJMU has one of the highest pass rates for the final registration exam (also set by the regulator) so your employment chances will be good.

Salary is determined by the job you do, not by the uni or classification of degree.

OMG are you at LJMU?!

I went to Bath for the open day (mandatory) so I could be considered further. My god, what an awful place. They are actually the worst university I have ever been.

When talking with the students, they were like -"It's a prestigious university, good course, but everyone is on their own. You work and there isn't much play".
Reply 5
Original post by Doctor.
OMG are you at LJMU?!

I went to Bath for the open day (mandatory) so I could be considered further. My god, what an awful place. They are actually the worst university I have ever been.

When talking with the students, they were like -"It's a prestigious university, good course, but everyone is on their own. You work and there isn't much play".

I studied at LJMU for my MPharm - went to King's College Hospital for my prereg so ignore everyone else saying you have to go to "better unis" to get into "competitive hospitals".

I am back at LJMU doing my PhD now.
Reply 6
I studied at LJMU for my MPharm - went to King's College Hospital for my prereg so ignore everyone else saying you have to go to "better unis" to get into "competitive hospitals".

I am back at LJMU doing my PhD now.

Woah that's awesome!

LJMU is pretty good in general, the support they were talking about was practically non existent at Bath. For me LJMU won is pretty much every category -Thanks for clearing the 'competitive prereg' up btw :h:

How intensive would you say the course is? In first, second third and forth years? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
It's pretty intense to be fair - but so is any pharmacy course. Its quite hard to put a figure or value on it, mainly because a few things have changed since I graduted and I haven't experienced it myself.

1st yr: Generally 9-5 Monday-Friday (an odd few hours off here and there)
2nd yr: 9-5 semester one. Then a bit quieter in semester 2. Still a lot to do but sometimes get a whole afternoon or morning off.
3rd year: 9-5 with a few mornings or afternoons off - fairly stable over the course of both semesters.
4th year: Semester 1 is fairly quiet; in for a few hours each day. First 5 weeks of semester 2 is MPharm projects so you'll be working 9-5 if not more on that. Then it dies down again. Whilst the contact time during the 4th year is a lot less you actually have more work to do that in the other years. There aren't as many assessments but there is a lot more self directed reading to be doing. In essence, it is very much treated as a Masters year.
Reply 8
It's pretty intense to be fair - but so is any pharmacy course. Its quite hard to put a figure or value on it, mainly because a few things have changed since I graduted and I haven't experienced it myself.

1st yr: Generally 9-5 Monday-Friday (an odd few hours off here and there)
2nd yr: 9-5 semester one. Then a bit quieter in semester 2. Still a lot to do but sometimes get a whole afternoon or morning off.
3rd year: 9-5 with a few mornings or afternoons off - fairly stable over the course of both semesters.
4th year: Semester 1 is fairly quiet; in for a few hours each day. First 5 weeks of semester 2 is MPharm projects so you'll be working 9-5 if not more on that. Then it dies down again. Whilst the contact time during the 4th year is a lot less you actually have more work to do that in the other years. There aren't as many assessments but there is a lot more self directed reading to be doing. In essence, it is very much treated as a Masters year.

Ah fair enough, just wondering...I am guessing you got a 1st/2:1? :smile: How many hours would you say you put into it? -in terms of extra work outside of the lectures etc :biggrin:

I am afraid of being really swamped with work 100% of the time and not being able to enjoy myself a little lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I got a first. I didn't put in as much time as some other people but I always did extra reading so was able to use material in the exams that wasn't in the lectures. This generally increases marks.

The amount of time you'll put in will differ throughout the degree. In first year I didn't really do much extra work. I did more extra work in third year, such as reading books and journals. A typical example of how different the time commitments are: you can go weeks without doing any 'extra' work - so just going to lectures and doing coursework. However, during projects you can find yourself spending 3 hours a night reading research articles and writing up parts of your work. It all depends what is going on.

There is definitely enough time to go out and enjoy yourself! The Liverpool Pharmacy Students' Association is very social and hosts 3-4 parties a year along with a massive ball. Liverpool is a great city for social life as well.
Reply 10
I got a first. I didn't put in as much time as some other people but I always did extra reading so was able to use material in the exams that wasn't in the lectures. This generally increases marks.

The amount of time you'll put in will differ throughout the degree. In first year I didn't really do much extra work. I did more extra work in third year, such as reading books and journals. A typical example of how different the time commitments are: you can go weeks without doing any 'extra' work - so just going to lectures and doing coursework. However, during projects you can find yourself spending 3 hours a night reading research articles and writing up parts of your work. It all depends what is going on.

There is definitely enough time to go out and enjoy yourself! The Liverpool Pharmacy Students' Association is very social and hosts 3-4 parties a year along with a massive ball. Liverpool is a great city for social life as well.

Oh well done on that :biggrin:. I do enjoy reading around stuff so hopefully I will do well :smile:.

That's a relief to hear :h: thanks a bunch :smile:

Cant wait to get started lol :tongue:

does the uni help you wen it comes to exams like do thy gve u hints on wats coming up or do they jus say revise everything?
Original post by amazon123456789
does the uni help you wen it comes to exams like do thy gve u hints on wats coming up or do they jus say revise everything?

There will be workshops at the end of the year that cover topics of importance but you will be advised to revise everything. Unfortunately as a pharmacy student you will not have the luxury to be selective with your revision.

You will be given sample exam questions but do not expect to get past papers.
Reply 13
There will be workshops at the end of the year that cover topics of importance but you will be advised to revise everything. Unfortunately as a pharmacy student you will not have the luxury to be selective with your revision.

You will be given sample exam questions but do not expect to get past papers.

Hey Tigerswift is their a huge difference between a levels and the pharmacy degree??
Are the exams quite straight forward if you learn know the material inside and out??
Do you mind if I ask you what you got in your A levels??

It's just that my friends are doing medicine and they have been telling me lots of scary things like the exams are quite random, theres a lot to learn, pbl cases etc.

Btw congratulations on getting a 1st.
Original post by shuaib786
Hey Tigerswift is their a huge difference between a levels and the pharmacy degree??
Are the exams quite straight forward if you learn know the material inside and out??
Do you mind if I ask you what you got in your A levels??

It's just that my friends are doing medicine and they have been telling me lots of scary things like the exams are quite random, theres a lot to learn, pbl cases etc.

Btw congratulations on getting a 1st.

There is quite a big difference yes:
- more complicated timetables
- the lectures are not always compulsory
- you will have to do extra, self directed, reading later on in the course

The exams will vary between subjects and universities. You will be expected to know the majority if not all the material and build on your knowledge year on year. You will be expected to deal with a range of different multiple choice systems and also longer answer questions. Many longer questions require you to apply your knowledge and not simply regurgitate information like A-levels. The questions and answers become more complex throughout the years and this is shown through increasingly detailed learning outcomes and the way you are expected to learn.

For my A-levels I got: ABBBBC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending