The Student Room Group

English literature in europe

I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN GOING ABROAD TO STUDY ENGLISH LITERATURE, SEEMS SILLY TO MOVE OUT OF ENGLAND :redface: BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE.

I HAVE SEARCHED FOR COURSES TAUGHT IN ENGLISH BUT THERE ISNT MUCH AVAILABLE.

AS I SPEAK SPANISH I WAS CONSIDERING DOING IT THERE. :confused:

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR OF ANY INFO ON EXPERIENCE YOU GUYS MAY HAVE :biggrin:

Reply 1
why would you study english literature in another language?
Reply 2
Well if the course is english literature then i guess it would be mostly english? I just want the experience of going to uni abroad but there doesnt seem to be much choice of english speaking courses :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jayjamine
Well if the course is english literature then i guess it would be mostly english? I just want the experience of going to uni abroad but there doesnt seem to be much choice of english speaking courses :smile:

I don't know how much research you've done but even though the literature will be in english, exams etc might be in Spanish. And there might be modules taught entirely in spanish, like theory of literature etc.
I know what you mean when you say you want to study abroad; english literature doesn't have many options compared with other degrees (obviously language ones but also business and stuff).

I'm doing my MA at Newcastle Uni now but I actually started an MA in Paris. The University of London have an institute there; it's not english literature obviously but it is taught in english. The programme is called MA: Paris Studies and it covers a wide range of areas: literature, history, politics, film etc. but the focus is mainly literature. And anyway, most MA courses cover the exact same disciplines. Also, you can do your dissertation in anything! My plan was to do the core modules (which are mainly literature based), pick literature modules, then do a literature based dissertation. Everything is taught and marked in English, however, they do encourage you to take French classes in your own time (but that's the fun of being in a different country- and you'll pick it up super fast living there).

The university is a really lovely building in a great location (you can see the Eiffel tower in full view standing on the school's front step), all the staff were fantastic and I was actually really excited about everything. It was financial matters forced me to return to the UK- Paris is ridiculously expensive and renting an apartment is notoriously difficult. Not impossible- just not within my budget.

You should look into it:
http://ulip.london.ac.uk/ma_paris
Reply 5
Original post by *Corinna*
I don't know how much research you've done but even though the literature will be in english, exams etc might be in Spanish. And there might be modules taught entirely in spanish, like theory of literature etc.

No i suppose I didn't think of this, Thank you :smile: , I'm not sure I would be confident enough to complete a course in spanish
Reply 6
Original post by abba<3814
I know what you mean when you say you want to study abroad; english literature doesn't have many options compared with other degrees (obviously language ones but also business and stuff).

I'm doing my MA at Newcastle Uni now but I actually started an MA in Paris. The University of London have an institute there; it's not english literature obviously but it is taught in english. The programme is called MA: Paris Studies and it covers a wide range of areas: literature, history, politics, film etc. but the focus is mainly literature. And anyway, most MA courses cover the exact same disciplines. Also, you can do your dissertation in anything! My plan was to do the core modules (which are mainly literature based), pick literature modules, then do a literature based dissertation. Everything is taught and marked in English, however, they do encourage you to take French classes in your own time (but that's the fun of being in a different country- and you'll pick it up super fast living there).

The university is a really lovely building in a great location (you can see the Eiffel tower in full view standing on the school's front step), all the staff were fantastic and I was actually really excited about everything. It was financial matters forced me to return to the UK- Paris is ridiculously expensive and renting an apartment is notoriously difficult. Not impossible- just not within my budget.

You should look into it:
http://ulip.london.ac.uk/ma_paris

This is really interesting Thanks for sharing your experience, Ive had a look its not exactly what I'm looking for but it has made me think more about where I would be able to study also due to finances! Thanks and good luck with your course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending