The Student Room Group

MA in Publishing at UCL - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by melissa38
Thanks for the tip! My interview is next Thursday :smile:

I hope that it went well! If you choose to go there, I will most likely see you there! Please let me know what the programme director is like. I haven't really had any contact with him yet.
Reply 761
Original post by npub123
I hope that it went well! If you choose to go there, I will most likely see you there! Please let me know what the programme director is like. I haven't really had any contact with him yet.

The interview went very well. In fact I received an email this morning telling me they would send me an offer letter in the next few days :smile: I was interviewed by Professor Stevenson (programme director) and Mr Canty. They were both extremely kind. They told me a LOT (the interview lasted 40 minutes) about the course and all the opportunities it gives to its students, which made me even more enthused about it!

I've got offers from LCC and Kingston but I'm definitely accepting UCL's offer. Did you accept their offer or are you still hesitating between UCL and City?
Reply 762
Hey, Anyone currently studying The MSc Management Programme? Or planning to join !! It would be great if I could get some personal experiences on the course and the international life in general.
Reply 763
Original post by melissa38
The interview went very well. In fact I received an email this morning telling me they would send me an offer letter in the next few days :smile: I was interviewed by Professor Stevenson (programme director) and Mr Canty. They were both extremely kind. They told me a LOT (the interview lasted 40 minutes) about the course and all the opportunities it gives to its students, which made me even more enthused about it!

I've got offers from LCC and Kingston but I'm definitely accepting UCL's offer. Did you accept their offer or are you still hesitating between UCL and City?

I think that UCL is definitely the better choice out of those. I'm pretty much decided on UCL, except I would like them to answer some questions before I accept, so I'm probably going to send out an email tonight. This is exciting then! I really need a summer job, and to confirm some Canadian government loans, etc, but hopefully it all works out! It's great to be in contact with someone else who is going on the programme. What is your undergraduate degree in?
Reply 764
Original post by npub123
I think that UCL is definitely the better choice out of those. I'm pretty much decided on UCL, except I would like them to answer some questions before I accept, so I'm probably going to send out an email tonight. This is exciting then! I really need a summer job, and to confirm some Canadian government loans, etc, but hopefully it all works out! It's great to be in contact with someone else who is going on the programme. What is your undergraduate degree in?

I'm graduating in English and American Studies. What about you? What part of Canada are you from? It must be exciting for you to come to Europe I imagine! I'm pretty much in the same situation as you: looking for a summer job, maybe getting a loan in case I don't get the scholarship I'm applying for, etc.
Reply 765
I'm off to UCL in September to study at the Institute of Archaeology - would be great to hear from anyone doing archaeology/museum studies/the like!
Original post by Pherenike
I'm off to UCL in September to study at the Institute of Archaeology - would be great to hear from anyone doing archaeology/museum studies/the like!

Hey Pherenike! I have an offer for Egyptian arch. for next September. I still don't know if I will accept it because of financial reasons (London is so expansive - plus the Institute of Archaeology are higher than anywhere else) but it's definitely in my top three options right now!

What stream of archaeology do you study? Where are you from?
Reply 767
I was offered a EPSRC scholarship, however I had to decline the offer :/

Hi, I've got an offer to do museum studies at IoA, UCL!
But I am still struggling to choose between Leicester and UCL.
Will make up my mind soon...
Reply 769
Original post by GabrielleT
Hey Pherenike! I have an offer for Egyptian arch. for next September. I still don't know if I will accept it because of financial reasons (London is so expansive - plus the Institute of Archaeology are higher than anywhere else) but it's definitely in my top three options right now!

What stream of archaeology do you study? Where are you from?

Hello GabrielleT and queridaCLY - glad to know there's some archaeologists out there.

I'm going to be studying MA in Principles of Conservation and I'm really really excited! I'm from North West England originally (though I've been living and working in Oxford for the past 5 years). My aim is to carry on with the MSc in Conservation for Archaeology and Museums and become a practicing conservator. However I am a HUGE fan of Egyptian archaeology - I did a paper in it during my undergrad and loved it! The Petrie museum in UCL is absolutely fab - I visited it before my interview. I sympathise with your financial woes - UCL is expensive but worth it. Have you considered studying part time and working whilst you study?

queridaCLY - Choosing between UCL and Leicester is hard work for Museum Studies as they both have amazing departments. Congrats on getting an offer for both! And if you do come to London, I look forward to meeting you!
I received a conditional offer from UCL, with the condition to pass IELTS with an overal mark of 6.5 and not below 6 in the four subtests. So i took the exam and took an overal mark of 7, with 8 in listening 7,5 in speaking , 7 writing and 5,5 reading. Is there any chance that they will accept this mark and not re take the test? I sent my results and asked them if my score is accceptable. What do you think?
Hello GabrielleT and queridaCLY - glad to know there's some archaeologists out there.

I'm going to be studying MA in Principles of Conservation and I'm really really excited! I'm from North West England originally (though I've been living and working in Oxford for the past 5 years). My aim is to carry on with the MSc in Conservation for Archaeology and Museums and become a practicing conservator. However I am a HUGE fan of Egyptian archaeology - I did a paper in it during my undergrad and loved it! The Petrie museum in UCL is absolutely fab - I visited it before my interview. I sympathise with your financial woes - UCL is expensive but worth it. Have you considered studying part time and working whilst you study?

queridaCLY - Choosing between UCL and Leicester is hard work for Museum Studies as they both have amazing departments. Congrats on getting an offer for both! And if you do come to London, I look forward to meeting you!

I have always been fascinated by conservation studies, I almost applied to a similar program! Good job on getting in, I hear that it's pretty competitive! :smile: And yes, the Petrie Museum is amazing, when I went last year they were very welcoming and I could have a nice chat with a few people working there, plus attend a lecture in the evening.
Did you go to Oxford? I just got an offer moments ago for the Mediterranean archaeology MPhil, so suddenly my choice of going to UCL isn't so clear anymore...

Hey Pherenike, I got accepted to MA in Principles of Conservation as well! If you don't mind my asking, did you look into any of the North American conservation programs and what background are you coming from? I've been curious as to hear of the previous experiences of other accepted conservation students since the prerequisites were so vague compared to some of the North American programs! And just trying to learn more because I'm not as familiar with UCL's conservation program. Although as an international student, the fees are quite steep and so I am contemplating deferring for a year...but I'm seriously tempted by UCL's program.

Good to know there are other budding conservators out there though as well! :smile:
Reply 773
I have always been fascinated by conservation studies, I almost applied to a similar program! Good job on getting in, I hear that it's pretty competitive! :smile: And yes, the Petrie Museum is amazing, when I went last year they were very welcoming and I could have a nice chat with a few people working there, plus attend a lecture in the evening.
Did you go to Oxford? I just got an offer moments ago for the Mediterranean archaeology MPhil, so suddenly my choice of going to UCL isn't so clear anymore...

I did my undergrad at Oxford (BA in Classical Archaeology and Ancient History), and it was a mixed experience. Academically excellent of course, but I did not enjoy the college atmosphere I suppose! I did apply for postgrad too and got offered a place on the MPhil Egyptology, but I've turned that down in favour of UCL. I'm really keen on the course at UCL and Oxford is really VERY small (but lovely). I'd recommend Oxford to anyone for postgrad students - but a financial warning - remember you need to pay tuition fees + college fees (equaling around £9,000-£10,000 in total) and housing/living costs are scarcely cheaper than London. It is a lovely place, but more expensive than you'd think, so be prepared for that - I think you'd need about £20,000 per year to be able to manage there (that's for tuition + basic living). But yes - beautiful historical city with lots of interesting things to do, FAB libraries and really high academic standards...
Reply 774
Original post by chan_chowder
Hey Pherenike, I got accepted to MA in Principles of Conservation as well! If you don't mind my asking, did you look into any of the North American conservation programs and what background are you coming from? I've been curious as to hear of the previous experiences of other accepted conservation students since the prerequisites were so vague compared to some of the North American programs! And just trying to learn more because I'm not as familiar with UCL's conservation program. Although as an international student, the fees are quite steep and so I am contemplating deferring for a year...but I'm seriously tempted by UCL's program.

Good to know there are other budding conservators out there though as well! :smile:

Sorry for two posts in a row but thought replying separately was easier. I believe we may have spoken briefly on a facebook group - so I will just reply here.

I did not look into North American conservation programmes, mostly because I lived in the US for 3 months and enjoyed it but found some aspects quite difficult (mostly just politics and the fact that I was living in California straight after living in Oxford which has loads of historical things and this was pretty culture shocky - I'm addicted to running about the countryside visiting ruins). Also I was kinda desperate to study in London, particularly at UCL and when I saw they did the course I wanted I thought it was a match made in heaven :biggrin:. As I said above I have a BA in Classical Archaeology at University of Oxford (2.1) and studied Chemistry to A level. That's pretty much most of the requirements I think. I'm also currently employed in the Museum sector, which I suppose was on my side!

Have you looked into applying for funding from the Anna Plowden Trust? http://www.annaplowdentrust.org.uk/grants/conservation-training-bursaries

I'm presuming that Anna Plowden gives money to international students as it doesn't say that it doesn't. Also, you might look into applying to charities for funding.

If deferring still looks like the best option, I've heard UCL are very understanding about that. It might be worth emailing admissions at IoA to see if there are any other scholarships/bursaries that you'll be eligible for?

Anyway, best of luck - I hope to see you there if the money tree blows in the right direction!

It was indeed a hard choice, but I think I am going to UCL for the compatibility of the supervisor. And of course, for the amazing access to great museums and galleries in London! Though the fees for overseas students are crazy (even with funding in my case), I am doing it! And I hope the money's well spent... :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing you too!
I did my undergrad at Oxford (BA in Classical Archaeology and Ancient History), and it was a mixed experience. Academically excellent of course, but I did not enjoy the college atmosphere I suppose! I did apply for postgrad too and got offered a place on the MPhil Egyptology, but I've turned that down in favour of UCL. I'm really keen on the course at UCL and Oxford is really VERY small (but lovely). I'd recommend Oxford to anyone for postgrad students - but a financial warning - remember you need to pay tuition fees + college fees (equaling around £9,000-£10,000 in total) and housing/living costs are scarcely cheaper than London. It is a lovely place, but more expensive than you'd think, so be prepared for that - I think you'd need about £20,000 per year to be able to manage there (that's for tuition + basic living). But yes - beautiful historical city with lots of interesting things to do, FAB libraries and really high academic standards...

Thanks for your advice!
I am an international student (French-Canadian) so the fees will be incredibly high wherever I go. (Still less than the US though!)
I have not received the academic conditions from the archaeology department at Oxford yet, so I don't even know if I'll be able to meet them, whereas UCL gave me an offer that is much lower than my actual grades. If you don't mind me asking, what college did you go to?
Reply 777
Thanks for your advice!
I am an international student (French-Canadian) so the fees will be incredibly high wherever I go. (Still less than the US though!)
I have not received the academic conditions from the archaeology department at Oxford yet, so I don't even know if I'll be able to meet them, whereas UCL gave me an offer that is much lower than my actual grades. If you don't mind me asking, what college did you go to?

I suppose I was just trying to warn you that Oxford is likely to be as expensive as London (don't know if that's an issue for you). I went to Keble College - red brick Victorian Gothic place. I imagine Oxford will ask for a 2.1 (or equivalent), though that's just a guess really.
Hi guys/gals,

I finally have my application complete. My 2nd reference submitted on the day (today) of the deadline. That was a close one. My referee (2nd) has a habit of holding onto my reference requests till the final moment...I'm sure I'm being tortured.

Now the wait starts to see if I get shortlisted and an interview...this will probably take another few weeks :frown:
Reply 779
Got my unofficial offer today!!!! Msc Neuroscience, Language and Communication!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending