The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy without Biology at A2

Hey guys, I am really interested in studying physiotherapy at University, and having done some research I am aware there are some Uni's that don't require you to have Biology to apply (however they ask for something similar, such as Physical Education). However, I am doing AS Biology, although I am considering dropping it at the end of Year 12 as I find it quite difficult. My other 3 subjects are Physical Education, Psychology, and ICT. I am aware that PE may help instead of Biology when applying. So my questions are:

How integral is A2 Biology to a Physiotherapy Course, with it in mind that I have studied PE?
I am predicted a C/D for Biology at AS, is this something I should really aim to try and improve and take Biology A2?
Also does Psychology count as a science? As some Uni's ask for a science.

Thanks in anticipation people!

Harry
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
In response to your first point, i'm just wondering which universities you've looked at that said they don't require A Level Biology? Biology is fundamental to allow you to understand the foundations of physiotherapy. I understand they might have meant A Level Bio, but many universities also accept some BTEC courses and definitely Access courses, but only scientifically or healthcare orientated courses. There must be some biological elements in any course you do, whether that be A Levels, Scottish Highers, BTECs or an Access course to be accepted on to study physio.

I know many unis accept PE and Psychology as second sciences, but that is different for each university, so it is best to ask the particular uni themselves :smile: I am not sure that they'll accept PE as your 'first science' without Biology though.
Reply 2
Original post by emilym94
In response to your first point, i'm just wondering which universities you've looked at that said they don't require A Level Biology? Biology is fundamental to allow you to understand the foundations of physiotherapy. I understand they might have meant A Level Bio, but many universities also accept some BTEC courses and definitely Access courses, but only scientifically or healthcare orientated courses. There must be some biological elements in any course you do, whether that be A Levels, Scottish Highers, BTECs or an Access course to be accepted on to study physio.

I know many unis accept PE and Psychology as second sciences, but that is different for each university, so it is best to ask the particular uni themselves :smile: I am not sure that they'll accept PE as your 'first science' without Biology though.

Sorry, I should have said they do not require A Level Biology, but require something like PE instead. For example, Nottingham has the entry requirement of B in Biology or PE, so this would apply to me. Also I am not expecting PE to be counted as a science, I was just wondering whether Psychology is counted as a science as I've been told contrasting things by several people! :tongue: I've edited my first post now too :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey :smile: My boyfriend was in almost the same position as you last year, but instead of Psychology he took Geography. He also dropped biology at AS because he found it very difficult. He got offers from 4 places, one being Nottingham, and didn't bother waiting for his 5th to reply.

I don't think not doing biology would be a disadvantage to you at all, I'd worry more about your personal statement and interviews. I wouldn't suggest carrying it on, as PE is just as acceptable for Physiotherapy, and you would probably struggle at A2, so just concentrate on getting the grades in your other subjects and making sure your interview technique is good.

As for the whether Psychology is a science or not, you'd have to ask each individual Uni. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Caatttiiiieeeee
Hey :smile: My boyfriend was in almost the same position as you last year, but instead of Psychology he took Geography. He also dropped biology at AS because he found it very difficult. He got offers from 4 places, one being Nottingham, and didn't bother waiting for his 5th to reply.

I don't think not doing biology would be a disadvantage to you at all, I'd worry more about your personal statement and interviews. I wouldn't suggest carrying it on, as PE is just as acceptable for Physiotherapy, and you would probably struggle at A2, so just concentrate on getting the grades in your other subjects and making sure your interview technique is good.

As for the whether Psychology is a science or not, you'd have to ask each individual Uni. :smile:

Ah thanks a lot! This really helps! :smile:
Original post by harrrrryyy06
Ah thanks a lot! This really helps! :smile:

No problem. :smile: That was his situation as best as I know, just obviously don't apply to any that require biology/check that PE is accepted as a first science. (Just making sure you can't come back and blame me if something goes wrong. :wink:)

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Biology isn't essential from a knowledge point of view on physio - where I study you don't spend much time at all doing all that, and the knowledge you do know, I managed to learn in a couple of weeks. My only science was physics at GCSE about 20 years ago, and I got a D for that, so it's not like I am a talented scientist :-)

If you don't need it for the entrance requirements for where you want to go, and don't get on with it, then drop it I say. It won't be a problem not having it from a knowledge point of view.
Reply 7
hello emilym94, I know your post was made quite a while ago but I have recently started sixthform and I am hoping to study Physiotherapy when I reach university. I noticed you said that you know many unis that accept P.E and Psychology as second sciences, which ones were they? I am moving on to studying P.E and Psychology as two of courses so I am pretty curious..
(edited 9 years ago)
Well hello everyone, this post was made a long time ago but I want to see if anyone is still active haha.

I'm at a situation where I'm gonna go to clearing and planning to study physiotherapy. I do not take Biology, but I take PE and I have good knowledge on the biology and msk side of PE. Do you think I will be fine during my years studying physiotherapy?

Quick Reply

Latest