The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sockpirate
and when it comes down to it, yeah I'd say there's not that much difference in terms of how much you'll enjoy being at any particular college. OK, there's differences in architecture, differences in things like distance from centre of town, quality of accommodation etc. but if you're trying to choose a college based on things other than these quantitative differences, i.e. perceived difference in atmosphere, you have to remember that those things are purely subjective. There almost certainly are small differences, but everyone I know loves their college, even if it wasn't one they originally chose (i.e. they got pooled), so yeah, once you've narrowed down your college choice based on quantitative differences, I'd say just go with your instinct, because you'll love wherever you end up.

I would second the importance of instinct.

In fact, I was also choosing between Emma and Pembroke, with Emma perhaps having a slight edge before I went to the relevant open days. But on a (surprisingly) sunny day in April, sitting in the Fellows' Garden with the then-DoS for Economics, I knew it was going to be Pembroke. :h:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 581
Original post by alex_hk90
I would second the importance of instinct.

In fact, I was also choosing between Emma and Pembroke, with Emma perhaps having a slight edge before I went to the relevant open days. But on a (surprisingly) sunny day in April, sitting in the Fellows' Garden with the then-DoS for Economics, I knew it was going to be Pembroke. :h:

Oh, we have 2 little ponds, just no ducks on them, and they're quite small :smile:

and when it comes down to it, yeah I'd say there's not that much difference in terms of how much you'll enjoy being at any particular college. OK, there's differences in architecture, differences in things like distance from centre of town, quality of accommodation etc. but if you're trying to choose a college based on things other than these quantitative differences, i.e. perceived difference in atmosphere, you have to remember that those things are purely subjective. There almost certainly are small differences, but everyone I know loves their college, even if it wasn't one they originally chose (i.e. they got pooled), so yeah, once you've narrowed down your college choice based on quantitative differences, I'd say just go with your instinct, because you'll love wherever you end up.

I'm an international applicant- can't really just fly to the UK and back on my say-so. :frown: Hence the over-analysing.

At Pembroke, are you guys allowed to walk on ALL the grass?
Original post by Anhedonia

No, but I'm pretty sure that's the same for all colleges. During the summer you can walk/eat on the outer edges (and of course people gradually move inwards) of some of the grounds and use the bowling green to play croquet (yes, really - people actually do that!). :smile:
I'm an international applicant- can't really just fly to the UK and back on my say-so. :frown: Hence the over-analysing.

Ahh, I see your dilemma then - I wouldn't worry about it too much though! :smile: If you wanted to have a look at the Pembroke grounds, there's a virtual tour online: http://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/about/virtual-tour/

In regards to the grass, technically no until the summer, when new court lawn is open - you're allowed to both sit on it and play croquet. People also sit on the bowling green whenever it's sunny - don't know what the technical rule on it is, but everyone does it!
Reply 584
Ahh, I see your dilemma then - I wouldn't worry about it too much though! :smile: If you wanted to have a look at the Pembroke grounds, there's a virtual tour online: http://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/about/virtual-tour/

In regards to the grass, technically no until the summer, when new court lawn is open - you're allowed to both sit on it and play croquet. People also sit on the bowling green whenever it's sunny - don't know what the technical rule on it is, but everyone does it!

Thanks for the link! :biggrin: Stupendous grounds, I must say. Doesn't do much justice to the greenery though, heh.

Are there many rah/athletic people at Pembroke?

No, but I'm pretty sure that's the same for all colleges. During the summer you can walk/eat on the outer edges (and of course people gradually move inwards) of some of the grounds and use the bowling green to play croquet (yes, really - people actually do that!). :smile:

How about during winter when it's snowy? Of course, by then the grass probably can't be seen...

I'm not sure I understand the question - do you mean are there many rahs (not that many), many athletic people (quite a few), or many rah athletic people (less than not that many)?

How about during winter when it's snowy? Of course, by then the grass probably can't be seen...

It's very rarely actually 'snowy' in Cambridge, in my 3 years there I think we only had enough 3 times where there was enough for playing in the snow (snowfights, snowmen, etc.). But no, you're not meant to walk on the grass in the winter.
Reply 586
I'm not sure I understand the question - do you mean are there many rahs (not that many), many athletic people (quite a few), or many rah athletic people (less than not that many)?

It's very rarely actually 'snowy' in Cambridge, in my 3 years there I think we only had enough 3 times where there was enough for playing in the snow (snowfights, snowmen, etc.). But no, you're not meant to walk on the grass in the winter.

:embarrassed:Sorry for the confusion. The slash was supposed to be an 'or' but the 2 adjectives combined also works.

What I'd really like to know is whether Pembroke is the sort of place people tend to make the best friends of their lives? Do people hang out a lot or party a lot? Do they stick in cliques? Is it difficult to find like-minded associates?
What I'd really like to know is whether Pembroke is the sort of place people tend to make the best friends of their lives? Do people hang out a lot or party a lot? Do they stick in cliques? Is it difficult to find like-minded associates?

Hmm, I think quick answers will do: Yes. Yes. To some extent. No. :h:
Thanks for the link! :biggrin: Stupendous grounds, I must say. Doesn't do much justice to the greenery though, heh.

Yeah, a lot of those pictures are quite old, but it gives you the gist of things - there's way more flowers and stuff than those pics show :smile:

Types of people - there really aren't very many people who I'd refer to as 'rah'. There're quite a few 'athletic' people - a lot of members of the college are involved with sports, on both a college and uni level. I wouldn't say that it tends to be any particular type of person though! College sport is generally pretty relaxed - anyone and everyone can join in, even if you're rubbish. I can't play hockey to save my life, but I'm on the hockey team :p: (when I'm not rowing anyway!)

Snow-wise, Alex missed the crazy snow earlier this year - there was so much! Yeah, you weren't MEANT to walk on the grass, but obvs people made snowmen - a group of the freshers made a 10 foot tall one in old court! It was so awesome :biggrin:

I'd say there are people for everyone - I know people who go out every night, and I know people who wouldn't go near a club if you paid them. You'll always find people who want to do what you want to do, but the best thing is that (in my opinion anyway), there aren't really 'cliques' - ok, you'll get groups of friends who tend to hang out together, but everyone talks to everyone, which is very different from my experience at school for example, where there were '2 halfs' of the year, and you would never even contemplate talking to someone from 'the other half'. I can walk into hall by myself, and always find someone to sit and have dinner with. The people here are really great :smile:
Reply 589
Thank you so so much for the help guys! :biggrin:
Reply 590
Just firmed my Pembroke offer, so it's official now...:biggrin:

I am having a hard time deciding on the accommodation though. I like the idea of living in the historic old buildings, but I get the impression that it might be a little bit easier to get to know people in Foundress Court (because all the freshers are there, it's big, it has its own common rooms, etc). Also, bathrooms are close & it's well heated; I stayed there during interviews and it was pretty good, but I just have very little idea of what the older buildings are like.

Anyone able to give a better idea of the pros and cons of the accommodation in the different courts? :tongue: It would be much appreciated.

Edit: No worries, I've been PM'd by the wonderfully helpful Tortious. Decided on the older part :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi
Anyone know how competitive entry to the chapel choir is? I know that the friendly choir takes all sorts.

Chapel Choir is generally quite competitive, but the standard will obviously vary a bit from year to year. Definitely give it a try though, and whether or not you get in you should still join Lovely Choir (as well). :yep:
Reply 592
I really wouldn't worry about where you choose for accommodation.
All bar like 3 rooms are perfectly comfortable, heated and close to a bathroom/toilet/kitchen.

The majority of places in the college itself are reserved for freshers, so wherever you are it'll be easy to meet people etc.

Foundress has bigger kitchens, yes, but the same facilities are available in the other kitchens too. The Common Room in Foundress is barely used though.

I'd just go with a preference for either - everyone likes their room, and no one I know complains that they went for old but should have chosen new. Or vice versa of course.

Either way -you'll have a great time here - I am :smile:
Me again. So who are the TSR pembroke people? It'd be nice to know a few before october to make the awkward first week less awkward

I am! :h:

The only other people I know of are Sockpirate (second year Natsci) and "Got the tshirt" (first year engineer). :yep:
Reply 594
Me again. So who are the TSR pembroke people? It'd be nice to know a few before october to make the awkward first week less awkward

I'm hopefully starting first year NatSci at Pembroke in October :smile:
Reply 595

I'm starting first year Mathematics at Pembroke this October (so long as I make the grades!) :smile:
Does anyone know when graduation is on Thursday? I'm thinking of making a trip down. :h:
I'm also hopefully starting in October - Law for me (oh god the workload)

Wonder how many of you I inadvertently bumped into at open days/interview?
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I'm also hopefully starting in October - Law for me (oh god the workload)

Wonder how many of you I inadvertently bumped into at open days/interview?

Wow, never seen a Pembroke lawyer on here before! :five: I'm a third year. :h:

Have you applied for accommodation yet? :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Wow, never seen a Pembroke lawyer on here before! :five: I'm a third year. :h:

:eek: I still remember when you were a (pre-)Fresher!

PS: Your new avatar is a bit - uh - distracting. :colondollar: :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending