The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Original post by hassi94
Nope "Insured Warwick for Maths & Physics" so A*AA insurance. I'm not insane :wink:

By that definition I am insane :tongue:
Reply 5101
Original post by hassi94
Nope "Insured Warwick for Maths & Physics" so A*AA insurance. I'm not insane :wink:

Hahahahahaha...yeah :tongue: ...you'd have to be totally insane to do that :smile:....

:colonhash:
Original post by Thrug
By that definition I am insane :tongue:

Original post by SParm
Hahahahahaha...yeah :tongue: ...you'd have to be totally insane to do that :smile:....

:colonhash:

Maybe not insane for you guys; but with my confidence of STEP it would be insane :tongue:
Reply 5103
Original post by hassi94
Maybe not insane for you guys; but with my confidence of STEP it would be insane :tongue:

I'm not that confident with STEP it's just I need a 2 in either I/II/III so I figure it's worth the risk but I decided if worst comes to worst I'd probably be happier taking a gap year and trying once more anyway.
Reply 5104
Original post by hassi94
Firmed Cambridge for Maths, Insured Warwick for Maths & Physics.

So scary clicking confirm; had to check I'd selected everything properly 100 times.

I remember when I replied to my offers, UCAS sent me a letter along the lines of 'you just picked these unis - are you sure? you can change your mind by calling this number'
Firmed Durham (AAA) and insured St Andrews (Unconditional) so I'm definitely off to uni this autumn to do Maths woooooohhh!!!
I've just firmed G101 at Leeds uni and insured GR12 at Lancaster....bring on 16th August!
Didn't like Warwick as much as Durham anyway so Cambridge firm, Durham insured. :smile:
Cannot decide between bath and bristol!!i think bristol would be so much more fun but i would get a better degree from bath. anyone firmed ether and want to share their views on why they firmed?!
Original post by jardine_199
Cannot decide between bath and bristol!!i think bristol would be so much more fun but i would get a better degree from bath. anyone firmed ether and want to share their views on why they firmed?!

Well both are really good for maths. However, if I recall correctly it all depends if you want to have a city feel or not. If you do, I would recommend Bristol as opposed to Bath. If you like the idea of a tight-knitted campus, then Bath all the way :smile:
I am resitting C3 in the summer and during my revision have come across a few questions if people would be able to help...they're very basic!

1. Is using the short version of the chain rule acceptable or is it preferred to use the long version? It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work!

2. Do we need to know the proofs for product/quoitent rule and addition formaulae ie cos(A+B)?

3. Is Sin/Cos3A needed for the exam?

4. What is needed to be learnt from chapter 7 - the proof chapter ie deduction, contradiction and counter example? It all seems a bit basic.....

Thank you :biggrin:
I am doing further maths AS this year (year 13) and realise some of the modules from that can be put into my Maths A level if they are better.
So if I got a higher mark in D1 than S2 would D1 be in my Maths A level and S2 transfer to the FM AS?
Is the best combination worked out automatically?
Reply 5112
Original post by BeccaCath94
I am doing further maths AS this year (year 13) and realise some of the modules from that can be put into my Maths A level if they are better.
So if I got a higher mark in D1 than S2 would D1 be in my Maths A level and S2 transfer to the FM AS?
Is the best combination worked out automatically?

Yes, there's a set procedure for doing all this. Have a look at http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1047/GCE%20Maths%20rules%20guidance%20for%20centres%20Sept%202010.pdf for all the details.
I am resitting C3 in the summer and during my revision have come across a few questions if people would be able to help...they're very basic!

1. Is using the short version of the chain rule acceptable or is it preferred to use the long version? It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work!

2. Do we need to know the proofs for product/quoitent rule and addition formaulae ie cos(A+B)?

4. What is needed to be learnt from chapter 7 - the proof chapter ie deduction, contradiction and counter example? It all seems a bit basic.....

1. I'm not sure what you mean by short/long versions- if what you produce is correct then you get the marks.
2. No you don't.
3. What do you mean by this? If you mean in terms of being able to expand sin3a as sin(2a+a)=sin2acosa+cos2asina then sure and not just up until "3", they can ask anything they want involving these compound angle formulae.
Reply 5114

1. You don't have to write out all the 'u=...', 'du/dx=...' stuff (although you may find it helpful for complicated questions). You can just jump straight from e.g. (d/dx) sin(3x)=3cos(3x)

2. No

3. It's not one of the standard formulas to memorise, but they could ask you that, or another similar question to test that you can derive it using the formulas you already know.

4. I'm not really sure but the type of questions you see on past papers would be the sort of thing you should learn.
Original post by ttoby
Yes, there's a set procedure for doing all this. Have a look at http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1047/GCE%20Maths%20rules%20guidance%20for%20centres%20Sept%202010.pdf for all the details.

That is all fairly complex but I think I understand! haha
Is it done automatically or does the school need to do something? If I just leave it will it work out ok?
Original post by In One Ear
1. I'm not sure what you mean by short/long versions- if what you produce is correct then you get the marks.
2. No you don't.
3. What do you mean by this? If you mean in terms of being able to expand sin3a as sin(2a+a)=sin2acosa+cos2asina then sure and not just up until "3", they can ask anything they want involving these compound angle formulae.

1. Well we were taught two versions: one involving substition with t and differentiating parts seperately...then a short cut where you basically do it by eye...
2. Thanks
3. Ahh ok.
Original post by ttoby
1. You don't have to write out all the 'u=...', 'du/dx=...' stuff (although you may find it helpful for complicated questions). You can just jump straight from e.g. (d/dx) sin(3x)=3cos(3x)

2. No

3. It's not one of the standard formulas to memorise, but they could ask you that, or another similar question to test that you can derive it using the formulas you already know.

4. I'm not really sure but the type of questions you see on past papers would be the sort of thing you should learn.

1. Ahh great. Thats what I meant thanks :smile: It saves a lot of time!
2. :smile:
3. Ahh. They're simple enough I guess...just use the orginial A+B version then use identities to get the final answer
4. Right. I'll have a look :smile:
Reply 5118
Is it done automatically or does the school need to do something? If I just leave it will it work out ok?

If your maths a-level has already been certificated and you have your final grade then it may already be fixed where it is. If not then then that process should happen automatically.

If you're not sure then it's worth checking with your exams officer although in most cases this process should happen automatically anyway if they're doing the paperwork correctly.
Reply 5119

Just adding to ttoby above, I imagine you're probably entered for re-certification anyway for maths A-Level (seeing as you're resitting C3). So having your modules 'fixed' to single maths won't be an issue.

Latest