The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazy1234
I got an offer from KPMG for a gap year scheme, so am taking a gap year. I then wanted to defer Durham, but they have some sort of internal deadline for deferring, so probably reapplying next year :smile:

Are you going Durham or Nottingham then?

gut getan mann.

Do you know how long it takes to get a reply back once you've accepted the contract and sent the references?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
I'm still not sure :/ so erm... :cry: *has mental breakdown*

There's no denying that gap years are for losers (including medic rejects, econ top 5 rejects, people who missed their grades, and people who were so ****e they couldn't apply in the first time (including me))

However, there are a lot of positives to take as well (though these aren't just limited to a single gap year).

Six words: Arsenal matches, skydiving, berlin, paris, chilling

Edit: It was a joke -.-
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tomatochuckers
There's no denying that gap years are for losers (including medic rejects, econ top 5 rejects, people who missed their grades, and people who were so ****e they couldn't apply in the first time (including me))

However, there are a lot of positives to take as well (though these aren't just limited to a single gap year).

Six words: ArsenalChelsea/Fulham/City/Liverpool D: matches, skydiving, berlin, paris, chilling

but... those six things only take like a month excluding matches!

Quite a few people just take gap years to holiday :P aswell and/or work

So what did you do this year?
but... those six things only take like a month excluding matches!

Quite a few people just take gap years to holiday :P aswell and/or work

So what did you do this year?

You're from Timbuktu? I always thought you were Korean for some reason. You're probs a Korean living in Timbuktu.
In that case you can always work in a farm during your gap year or contribute to their thriving salt trade :cool:

Tbh I might as well have started yr 13 in feb cos I'm redoing all my Jan exams in June :colondollar: as my attempt of doing the whole FM A level in a year backfired.
Did get into the navy though so its all good.
You're from Timbuktu? I always thought you were Korean for some reason. You're probs a Korean living in Timbuktu.
In that case you can always work in a farm during your gap year or contribute to their thriving salt trade :cool:

Tbh I might as well have started yr 13 in feb cos I'm redoing all my Jan exams in June :colondollar: as my attempt of doing the whole FM A level in a year backfired.
Did get into the navy though so its all good.

:lol: I'm not on both counts. Timbuktu is just such a great place ya see. Who wouldn't want to live there :wink:

ahh so wait... are you actually joining the navy? Not sure if you're serious there.

On a side note, I just saw this and cried with laughter http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/04/fun-place-names oh economist <3 you do make my day. Hmm that makes me sound rather nerdy but its only been 2 hours so erm... yeah
I got an offer from KPMG for a gap year scheme, so am taking a gap year. I then wanted to defer Durham, but they have some sort of internal deadline for deferring, so probably reapplying next year :smile:

Are you going Durham or Nottingham then?

Congrats on the gap year scheme! Hopefully you get into your top choices again next year :smile:

Yep I've decided to firm Durham, because I feel that it suits me more while researching about the course info and the uni as a whole, I prefer its beautiful location too compared to Nottingham (as shallow that might seem :P). I just wanted to make sure I'm not giving up greater opportunities by not choosing Nottingham, so thanks for your opinion!
Reply 9746
Firmed Cambridge and Insured LSE (Maths and Econ) just now. I was quite tempted to insure UCL but I caved in and went for LSE. But of course, fingers crossed my insurance will be a moot point come August.
For everyone headed to UCL

At 45 per cent female, the faculty also has one of the highest female to male ratios for economics in the country
:lol: this amuses me

From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8741813/Top-10-economics-degree-courses-favoured-by-employers.html?image=8

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/9005911/The-best-and-worst-paid-graduate-jobs-in-pictures.html?image=1
Reply 9748
Original post by zxh800
Firmed Cambridge and Insured LSE (Maths and Econ) just now. I was quite tempted to insure UCL but I caved in and went for LSE. But of course, fingers crossed my insurance will be a moot point come August.

Good luck! I'm sure you will get into Cambridge :biggrin:
Reply 9749

Those rankings are so pointless, comparing which is most attractive to employers by comparing employment % figures for one year (not even those in grad jobs, just employment) when they all differ by like 1% :facepalm:
Original post by Tateco
Those rankings are so pointless, comparing which is most attractive to employers by comparing employment % figures for one year (not even those in grad jobs, just employment) when they all differ by like 1% :facepalm:

Haha I've never seen such a pointless ranking. LSE behind Nottingham? I'm wondering where they've got those numbers :tongue:
Reply 9751
Original post by nightmare91
Haha I've never seen such a pointless ranking. LSE behind Nottingham? I'm wondering where they've got those numbers :tongue:

It may be that Nottingham has a higher employment % but that is besides the point, it doesn't even distinguish between graduate and non-graduate jobs :tongue:
gut getan mann.

Do you know how long it takes to get a reply back once you've accepted the contract and sent the references?

No idea, i haven't sent the references off yet...

Which offices are you at?
Original post by Tateco
You're risking your top offer for that scheme?

Well even if Durham had deferred, and I had got the grades i wanted, I would have replied so it's not really a risk as long as I get the grades...
Original post by paperstars123
Congrats on the gap year scheme! Hopefully you get into your top choices again next year :smile:

Yep I've decided to firm Durham, because I feel that it suits me more while researching about the course info and the uni as a whole, I prefer its beautiful location too compared to Nottingham (as shallow that might seem :P). I just wanted to make sure I'm not giving up greater opportunities by not choosing Nottingham, so thanks for your opinion!

Dw i agree with you about the location thing, Durham was so much nicer then Nottingham. Even the people at Durham were a lot of fun to be around (probably skewed by getting to stay the night at the college but still).
Original post by Tateco

Still interesting. It is just an overall picture... that's what all the league tables show!

Bath has a list of where all their graduates end up at :colone:
Dw i agree with you about the location thing, Durham was so much nicer then Nottingham. Even the people at Durham were a lot of fun to be around (probably skewed by getting to stay the night at the college but still).

which college are you heading to?
Reply 9757
Well even if Durham had deferred, and I had got the grades i wanted, I would have replied so it's not really a risk as long as I get the grades...

Ah I see that's no big deal then!

Still interesting. It is just an overall picture... that's what all the league tables show!

Bath has a list of where all their graduates end up at :colone:

I suppose so! It seems like a pretty decent list but seems silly to order them when they are all so close to each other with the data they are using.

Top 10 economics grads seem to all do amazingly employment-wise, especially those leaving with 1sts! Bath is particularly good because of the placement year.
which college are you heading to?

Got an offer from Trevelyan college, but decided to take a gap year so reapplying next year :smile:

What about you? Did you apply Durham?
Got an offer from Trevelyan college, but decided to take a gap year so reapplying next year :smile:

What about you? Did you apply Durham?

Ah I just saw your KPMG post, thought you'd firmed Durham or something

Van Mildert :tongue:

Original post by Tateco

I suppose so! It seems like a pretty decent list but seems silly to order them when they are all so close to each other with the data they are using.

Top 10 economics grads seem to all do amazingly employment-wise, especially those leaving with 1sts! Bath is particularly good because of the placement year.

:lol: I don't think employers favour firsts over 2:1s when recruiting, or so they say it seems to be just a requirement but I know! 85-90% for most of them with the exception of Cambridge which had a good year.

:/ hmm cant find that spreadsheet from ages ago which listed the average starting salary of econ grads by university.... oh well

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1765/econsal.png :eek: I forgot about this