The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lohoj
That's for YOUR device, not my Desire S.

Once the ICS source code gets released which was a few weeks after the Nexus prime release all the devs can port it over to their phones and that's how most phones already have ICS. I mean my Desire HD has the 4.0.4 whereas Nexus S users still have 4.0.3 :biggrin:.

Anyway if you're talking officially then yes, most phones don't have it yet. Bit of a shame how long it takes.

I HATE that network providers decide when to release the latest software updates. All phones should be unbranded and updates should come straight from the manufacturer. Absolute joke. The network provider then fills it with their own rubbish that can't be uninstalled unless you root.
Original post by El Torres
Once the ICS source code gets released which was a few weeks after the Nexus prime release all the devs can port it over to their phones and that's how most phones already have ICS. I mean my Desire HD has the 4.0.4 whereas Nexus S users still have 4.0.3 :biggrin:.

Anyway if you're talking officially then yes, most phones don't have it yet. Bit of a shame how long it takes.

I HATE that network providers decide when to release the latest software updates. All phones should be unbranded and updates should come straight from the manufacturer. Absolute joke. The network provider then fills it with their own rubbish that can't be uninstalled unless you root.

Nexus S will have 4.0.4 ROMs with Kernel 3.x. Your phone is running a highly modified 2.x kernel. This means the code behind all the software you run is messy and filled with bad work a rounds. Without a 3.x kernel, you're essentially running a boosted version of gingerbread to support ICS software.

Either way, Nexx is a monster and he's porting the One V kernel to Desire S / HD, so soon all will be fine.
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I have a S2 with an orange sim, although I believe the phone is unlocked to all networks (was an upgarde from Samsung following the repeated failure of the orginal S). When will I be able to upgrade to ICS?

Will I need to back everything up, and how do I do this?

I believe unbranded phones get it last but I'll answer your question

You can back everything up but not saved app data to that you need to root your phone and once you've done that why put on a official rom?
But if you just want to back up the normal stuff then

Connect to my PC in "Mass Storage"

Then copy my entire internal SD card to a folder on the Desktop. This will include everything Photos, Game Saves Music etc.

There are lots of message backup apps on Play Store.

All your apps are available when you log into Play Store

After the Update copy your SD card back to the phone, then install the apps from Play Store.

You can Factory Reset and Format the SDcard using this code in the phones dialer *2767*3855#
Backup first, this wipes everything!

Factory reset before AND after
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I have a S2 with an orange sim, although I believe the phone is unlocked to all networks (was an upgarde from Samsung following the repeated failure of the orginal S). When will I be able to upgrade to ICS?

Original post by F_shakeey
I believe unbranded phones get it last

In response to F_shakeey, unbranded ICS is available now
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/04/got-a-sim-free-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-time-to-finally-grab-your-ice-cream-sandwich-update/

Try going through Kies and see if it shows an update. If not, then its still showing as an Orange SII and you can go ahead and follow his guide or wait till the 22nd when the official update is released.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s2-ics-upgrade-date-confirmed-for-t-mobile-and-orange-1076740

Ah so it's out, to be honest I stopped looking after vodafone got theirs out but I'm still not going to update it though. The roms will be better
Gotta love that the SIII has leaked out haha. Engadget got a legal notice to take the video down after it was posted up so there's high chances that it's real.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/galaxy-s-iii-leak/

Someone is going to have to explain this to me though, it says the dpi is 320 but THE resolution is 720x1280. How does that work then?
It's massive. :eek3:

Are you sure it's real? I'm not convinced. Maybe they got the legal notice to take it down so those that have been looking forward to it for so long don't top themselves. :mmm:

The physical design of it isn't so great - looks clunky.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah I was thinking the same. The specs don't look great and the look of it. I think they used plastic to make the S2 really thin so I bet they do the same again which I'm not liking. Maybe this is just a test version because I hope it's better.

On the legal notice, I think didn't happen because both theverge.com and Engaget still have images and videos up.

This was the same site that got leaked the Samsung Tab and the iPad.
I think it said on Engadget that there might be a layer of plastic around the edges to prevent the dimensions from being revealed. It could be thinner when its officially revealed.

But what does it mean? Is it simply screen size vs dpi? So it doesn't have a HD screen because the dpi is only 300 something? I thought 720 meant HD. I know it doesn't say 720p but yeah.
But what does it mean? Is it simply screen size vs dpi? So it doesn't have a HD screen because the dpi is only 300 something? I thought 720 meant HD. I know it doesn't say 720p but yeah.

It uses the resolution (e.g. 1280 x 720) and Pythagoras' to find the number of dots (which I think is synonymous with pixels here) along the diagonal of the screen (which is in inches), which gives you the dpi.
Original post by + polarity -
It uses the resolution (e.g. 1280 x 720) and Pythagoras' to find the number of dots (which I think is synonymous with pixels here) along the diagonal of the screen (which is in inches), which gives you the dpi.

Well I googled the resolution and it is HD. So I presume the higher the DPI also makes for a better screen quality, or does it not matter? Just another way of measuring it?

I noticed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density all the 720x1280 resolution screens have a ppi in the 300's. It does differ though.
Well I googled the resolution and it is HD. So I presume the higher the DPI also makes for a better screen quality, or does it not matter? Just another way of measuring it?

I noticed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density all the 720x1280 resolution screens have a ppi in the 300's. It does differ though.

Well, I'd say a higher DPI looks nicer (but after 330 ppi or something you can't tell), but there are many other factors affecting the 'quality' of a screen :wink2:

Yes, the resolution is HD, and yes, a PPI of over 300 will look very nice.
Fair enough, I guess that's all I need to know to understand the phone specs. Cheers
Best/most favourite apps?
ColorNote, very useful
So 1080p is simply 1080 pixels per inch? I presume all display stuff is the same.

Anyway I get what you're saying so thanks for that bit!
Original post by G8D
1080p is not PPI. Big HD TVs are arguably **** quality.

The resolution for 1080p is 1920x1080 which on a 42" screen would be... just over 50 PPI apparently.

EDIT: obviously you aren't spending time as close to a TV as you will a phone/tablet/laptop so it's not that big of a deal.

Bloody heck around 50.. but yeah as you say. I guess slowly everything will move HD so most screen sizes get a solid picture quality.

You see I knew that too haha, guess I forgot. Progressive and interlaced. Progressive being the better one.
Original post by G8D
GF got a Desire S :angry:

Why you mad bro? Tech envy?

Latest

Trending

Trending