The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

ah i see, sorry i cant help its not happened to anyone i know
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Is it easier to use a notebook or a laptop during lectures? For psychology, if that helps.
Original post by Jess Holly
Is it easier to use a notebook or a laptop during lectures? For psychology, if that helps.

Well, do you prefer writing or typing? Would you rather have your notes on your laptop or in folders? When I was at uni last year, I didn't notice many people using laptop's really, bar one or two, so it might be best to just wait until you get there and see what other people do.
Original post by AverageExcellence
I dont mean to pose an awkward question, but ive got a predictament with choosing universities.

Should i choose UEA which i really liked

Or york? a russel group and good history department

and why?

thank you

I'd definitely go with the one you feel happiest at, you have to live there for three years and if you're unhappy with a university then that will have a huge impact on your grades. There's not even really that much difference between UEA and York, and there's no point going to a 'good' university if you're going to come out unhappy and with a low class degree. Plus, York only become a Russell Group this year anyway - along with Durham, Exeter and Queen Mary - and imo I can see UEA becoming an RG uni in the next few years too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 404
Which stores would you recommend for purchases such as:
1) A printer, hairdryer and an alarm clock
2) Bedding, towels, toiletries
3) Kitchen needs (pots and pans, cooking utensils, etc.)
My daughter has firmed UEA and since we are coming from abroad, we will probably buy most of her things once we get there. Also, do the dorm room closets come with hangers? If not, where would be purchase them?
Original post by avignon
Which stores would you recommend for purchases such as:
1) A printer, hairdryer and an alarm clock
2) Bedding, towels, toiletries
3) Kitchen needs (pots and pans, cooking utensils, etc.)
My daughter has firmed UEA and since we are coming from abroad, we will probably buy most of her things once we get there. Also, do the dorm room closets come with hangers? If not, where would be purchase them?

The wardrobes don't come with hangers no. UEA offers a bedding pack for around £20 which you can apply for nearer the time, although if your daughter would like something more personal then I would thoroughly reccomend either Wilkinsons which is one the main high street and stocks most household things and is very good value for money, there is also a Dunelm Mill further out of town if you will have a car, slightly more upmarket but also has a good range of stuff. Don't know if Wilkinsons do towels, Dunelm Mill definitley do.

As far as toiletries go, Boots or Superdrug are the no1 places for these.
Reply 406
Thank you very much, jelly1000. Where would we get a printer?
We will not have a car. Is it difficult to get to these stores on public transportation? I'm sure after shopping though, we'll be taking a taxi back to the school!
Original post by avignon
Thank you very much, jelly1000. Where would we get a printer?
We will not have a car. Is it difficult to get to these stores on public transportation? I'm sure after shopping though, we'll be taking a taxi back to the school!

Wilkinsons isnt- you can get the 25 or 35 bus - its right in town. Dunelm Mill probally isnt but Wilkinsons should have everything you need. Wilkinsons do printers
Reply 408
Thank you!
Original post by avignon
Thank you!

I'd add that John Lewis or Marks and spencers in the city centre might be good for the towels and bedding. Both do quite high quality stuff, and John Lewis' basic range is cheap but still good (it's what I have on my bed at the moment)
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone studied the course here? What do you think? Also what are the graduate prospects? How many people get into the Big 4 afterwards?
Thanks
Reply 411
Forgive me if this has been asked before:
Which bank is better? Natwest or Barclay's? I realize that everyone might have a different opinion/experience, but is it easier to open an account in one than the other? Also, do most students have what they call a 'Student account'?
Original post by avignon
Which bank is better? Natwest or Barclay's? I realize that everyone might have a different opinion/experience, but is it easier to open an account in one than the other? Also, do most students have what they call a 'Student account'?

I believe most students have a student account because of the interest free overdraft you get that you don't have to pay back til you've graduated. I'm with Natwest and I've not had any problems with them- the account was easy to open and I got a £500 overdraft the day I opened it, plus compared with my Santander account which required me to memorise ridiculously long codes to do online banking, I can actually remember what Natwest wants me to. Plus you can opt for a card reader so that even if someone did get into your account online they couldn't do anything with your money unless they had your card (or a clone) and a card reader. I've no experience of Barclays though I'm afraid so no idea if its better.
Reply 413
Original post by chrisawhitmore
I'd add that John Lewis or Marks and spencers in the city centre might be good for the towels and bedding. Both do quite high quality stuff, and John Lewis' basic range is cheap but still good (it's what I have on my bed at the moment)

Thank you for this info!
Reply 414
Original post by jelly1000
I believe most students have a student account because of the interest free overdraft you get that you don't have to pay back til you've graduated. I'm with Natwest and I've not had any problems with them- the account was easy to open and I got a £500 overdraft the day I opened it, plus compared with my Santander account which required me to memorise ridiculously long codes to do online banking, I can actually remember what Natwest wants me to. Plus you can opt for a card reader so that even if someone did get into your account online they couldn't do anything with your money unless they had your card (or a clone) and a card reader. I've no experience of Barclays though I'm afraid so no idea if its better.

Thank you, jelly1000. You've been very helpful!
Original post by avignon

You can get a card reader for Barclays as well. You'd be good with either bank really, there's not too much difference.
Reply 416
Do Natwest still do a free student railcard? That's why I went with them, it was a great deal.
Original post by BethanW
Do Natwest still do a free student railcard? That's why I went with them, it was a great deal.

only for people who already have an account with them
Quick question about the sports center.. I hear there is some sort of special pass for students? Can someone tell me more about it, price, what it gets etc or direct me to some information about it? Thanks!

Also to the person that was asking about good shops to buy things, QD next door to Wilkinsons, sell bedding/towels etc I'm pretty sure and also other cheap things, Wilkinsons is probably better quality but as the two are right next to each other it's worth checking them both out whilst you're there. Wilkinsons sell toiletries as well if I remember correctly - as does the pound shop opposite :P

EDIT: another question I just thought of, does anyone have an iPhone 4s on Three network, what is the signal like, for both calls/texts but also internet connection (not wifi.. the other one, 3g or something..) around Norwich, the hospital and the accommodation?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fabbykadabra
Quick question about the sports center.. I hear there is some sort of special pass for students? Can someone tell me more about it, price, what it gets etc or direct me to some information about it? Thanks!

Also to the person that was asking about good shops to buy things, QD next door to Wilkinsons, sell bedding/towels etc I'm pretty sure and also other cheap things, Wilkinsons is probably better quality but as the two are right next to each other it's worth checking them both out whilst you're there. Wilkinsons sell toiletries as well if I remember correctly - as does the pound shop opposite :P

EDIT: another question I just thought of, does anyone have an iPhone 4s on Three network, what is the signal like, for both calls/texts but also internet connection (not wifi.. the other one, 3g or something..) around Norwich, the hospital and the accommodation?

A quick google search brought up this website and from that website, this pdf, which as far as I can see has plenty of information on the sports park and the prices. Well worth having a read through if you're interested.

I can't answer your question about the iPhone issue on Three, but I'm interested to know too as my contract runs out next month and that's what I was planning to get myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending