The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
Original post by Facticity
I'm championing a 3 episode minimum trial for every show, unless I absolutely detest it, because last season taught me to give things a chance and they may surprise you i.e. PapaKiki.

Yeah, this is what I do (usually 3 to 5 episodes). :smile:

Oh you know, nothing particularly poignant, just the usual stereotypes and eccentricities of any group of people you visit. Nothing really in mind, nor was I particularly expecting anything. But everyday I learn something new about the group of people I thought I had some idea about - only reinforcing my obvious lack of genuine knowledge about the place aha. As you said, its normal to have preconceived notions, and whilst I try not to learn anything from anime, all sorts of silly ideas run in your head before arriving :redface:

Aha, that's understandable, especially if your only primary reference is anime and manga. :giggle:

I did go to Akihabara but it was only one evening for a couple hours. I didn't have a huge shop or time to look around in particular but towards the end of my trip I fly out from Tokyo so I'll be there for a week or so probably to explore the city and shops. :smile:

To be honest, a few hours is probably enough to get the gist of what the area is like. I would definitely recommend going to a maid cafe, if only for the experience. :tongue:

Aha, well it is pretty good seeing anime on TV. I guess the only thing is that its also odd not seeing subtitles :tongue:

Sure, I bet. :tongue:

Original post by The_Pudding_Earl
Everyone needs to go watch Chihayafuru right now. I just finished watching the show and it made me cry buckets of shojo tears.

Definitely one of the best of its broadcast season. :yes:

Nice to see that you're posting again, Charlotte. Hope all is well. :smile:

Original post by vin
Mirai Nikki is over:sad:

but there were some things that didnt seem quite right or maybe i missed something:hmmmm:

Spoiler

there were some other things but they slipped my mind:hmmmm:

:huff: already did

Yeah, Mirai Nikki was great, especially Yuno who has easily become one of my favourite characters to grace anime in recent years, and not just because she was an obsessive psychopath.

Spoiler

Why did they change the ending of Mirrai Nikki from the manga by putting a cliffhanger? There's no need to since you just have to check the manga to see that...

Manga spoiler (just in case no one wants to see the manga ending)

Spoiler

Nazo X was very good this week, still keeping its odd premise but also with its fantastic sense of theming and presentation. Also, you can't help but be impressed by her scissor skills :giggle:

Amnesia was kind of better than the first episode, though it makes you wonder why they opened with that slapstick stuff when they had this episode. Not to say I was blown away, because its obvious Amnesia isn't going to go far out beyond fan service and comedy (not very strong either). Very nicely presented but this is a case of all flare and no substance really. Hmm, I'll give it 1 more ep, if it doesn't pick up I think I'll drop it next week. :sadnod:

Sankarea is being very SHAFT without being SHAFT oddly enough but I'm loving it. Great premise, nice visuals, awesome direction and quite an interesting cast of character. I had no idea what Sankarea would be like but I had a good feeling - glad it lived up to it. Thought the second episode improved on an already great first episode.

Ucchi Kyoudai, Kuroko and Nyaruko were great as usual. :yep: Ozma is kind of becoming a narrative tangle - it seems to dart back and forth and that Sam character is being used to obviously move the plot with his rather random obsession for this woman who he has known for maybe, a day? Then coupled with his terrible decision making skills, I'm finding myself raising some eyebrows. I guess its concluding next week though so hopefully they wrap it up nicely. :erm:

Biggest let down though, is Zetman. Just saw it and I seriously kept asking myself what was going on. The pacing just went absolutely random - first in the house, then another house, then a lab, then a jail, then a crepe stand. With no obvious movement in time nor change f place, the scene would literally change from in the middle of one to another and the audience is left baffling at what happened - I had to rewind a couple times because I thought maybe the video jumped. Oh and the characters were pretty bad in this episode. Jin was just all over the place, first full of himself, then angry, then crying then, happy, then crying. :lolwut:
Then the animation dropped a lot in the fight scene. Overall, this was a really poor episode. No idea what happened. Maybe they got scared they couldn't fit everything in 13 episodes as they spent near enough half of the first in close up face shots, but seriously, I'm not sure how they passed that for viewing. After that I would drop it but I think i'll give it 'till episode 4 to decide seeing as it looks set to "kick in" now. Its teetering for me. Though, I can here the teeth gnashing of the Zetman manga fans already. :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Cornerstone
Why did they change the ending of Mirrai Nikki from the manga by putting a cliffhanger? There's no need to since you just have to check the manga to see that...

Manga spoiler (just in case no one wants to see the manga ending)

Spoiler

Mirai Nikki sequel mate. Easy way to milk a popular manga? Original anime ending, then changing the a follow up which will gear towards the manga or some such.
Mirai Nikki sequel mate. Easy way to milk a popular manga? Original anime ending, then changing the a follow up which will gear towards the manga or some such.

So some sort of original anime sequel then? I see. I'm not really looking forward to it, I mean I like Mirai Nikki but there has to be an end to series and the original ending was good enough as it is. Oh well.
FMA: Brotherhood is definitely in my top animes that I've watched. I have rarely seen an anime where most of the characters have so much depth :adore:

I might try the original another but I doubt it'll add anything more to the story, the Brotherhood story felt complete as it is. (Plus I heard Brotherhood follows the original manga storyline)
(edited 12 years ago)
FMA: Brotherhood is definitely in my top animes that I've watched. I have rarely seen an anime where most of the characters have so much depth :adore:

I might try the original another but I doubt it'll add anything more to the story, the Brotherhood story felt complete as it is. (Plus I heard Brotherhood follows the original manga storyline)

Yup Brotherhood is pretty much the manga storyline to the tee. I would say watch the original though, there is definitely something about it that really, really makes it loveable. In some sense, I thought the original was better to Brotherhood - though I have no clear favourite from both. They are both amazing.

I'd still say watch the original. Though, it might have been better to watch the original first.
Yup Brotherhood is pretty much the manga storyline to the tee. I would say watch the original though, there is definitely something about it that really, really makes it loveable. In some sense, I thought the original was better to Brotherhood - though I have no clear favourite from both. They are both amazing.

I'd still say watch the original. Though, it might have been better to watch the original first.

If Brotherhood followed the storyline then I'm glad, I have this thing where I prefer the animes to follow the manga hence my slight hate for fillers (and the Mirai Nikki ending:tongue:) unless they're really good so I'll give the original a go later as I can't take on another 100+ episode anime yet until summer :tongue:
Help Please :smile:

I need help with starting fate Stay Night series
I know theres a visual novel, manga, anime etc i just dont know where to start
I just need help with what order i should go through them in.
Also, is it worth reading the manga if i read the Visual Novel or watch the anime or vice versa? I dont want to read or watch the same thing twice.

I have tried figuring out the order to go though them but i just get confused :confused:
Original post by Aiko

Definitely one of the best of its broadcast season. :yes:

Nice to see that you're posting again, Charlotte. Hope all is well. :smile:

I've been out of anime for too long. It took that show to bring me back in properly haha!

Everything's cool just haven't had that much free time at all until just recently and wanted to use that to get back in here! Lucky that a new season just started too :smile:

I'm really excited to watch "Kids on the Slope"
Reply 3130
Original post by BonjournoDeano

Also, is it worth reading the manga if i read the Visual Novel or watch the anime or vice versa? I dont want to read or watch the same thing twice.

I have tried figuring out the order to go though them but i just get confused :confused:

Either start with the fate stay night VN or go straight for Fate/Zero anime.

The anime adaption of Fate/Stay Night is pretty terrible.

Although be aware of the fact that there are some pretty major spoilers in the first episode of Fate/Zero.
Reply 3131
Original post by BonjournoDeano

To add to Carecup's advice, which I agree with, it's probably not worth reading the manga. There was also a movie adaption of a particular route from the visual novel, Unlimited Blade Works, which might be worth a watch if you've enjoyed the VN but is otherwise a bit confusing -- and watching it isn't necessary, anyway.
If Brotherhood followed the storyline then I'm glad, I have this thing where I prefer the animes to follow the manga hence my slight hate for fillers (and the Mirai Nikki ending:tongue:) unless they're really good so I'll give the original a go later as I can't take on another 100+ episode anime yet until summer :tongue:

There are no fillers in the anime, its just follows the manga up to about episode 19 or something then creates its own story, which for a lot of people is arguably as good as the manga. No reason a new story can't be good just because it isn't the manga. Its not 100 eps though, just 51 IIRC. I'd still recommend it when you have time :yep:
There are no fillers in the anime, its just follows the manga up to about episode 19 or something then creates its own story, which for a lot of people is arguably as good as the manga. No reason a new story can't be good just because it isn't the manga. Its not 100 eps though, just 51 IIRC. I'd still recommend it when you have time :yep:

Oh. I rechecked it and you're right, it is 51. I got 100+ from some other website :s-smilie: I'll give it a go earlier than expected :tongue:
Reply 3134
Nazo X was very good this week, still keeping its odd premise but also with its fantastic sense of theming and presentation. Also, you can't help but be impressed by her scissor skills :giggle:

I don't think anyone can. :giggle: Similarly, I'm enjoying this one.

Amnesia was kind of better than the first episode, though it makes you wonder why they opened with that slapstick stuff when they had this episode. Not to say I was blown away, because its obvious Amnesia isn't going to go far out beyond fan service and comedy (not very strong either). Very nicely presented but this is a case of all flare and no substance really. Hmm, I'll give it 1 more ep, if it doesn't pick up I think I'll drop it next week. :sadnod:

This is ok, can't say the second episode drummed up any real enthusiasm, but I'll be sticking with it for now.

Sankarea is being very SHAFT without being SHAFT oddly enough but I'm loving it. Great premise, nice visuals, awesome direction and quite an interesting cast of character. I had no idea what Sankarea would be like but I had a good feeling - glad it lived up to it. Thought the second episode improved on an already great first episode.

Aside from the character design, the terrain lacks the vector-esque minimalism and/or simplicity that I've come to associate with Shaft and personally love. Again, I agree with your thoughts. As mentioned in a previous post, I was really impressed with the exposition into Rea's family life and her current situation.

Ozma is kind of becoming a narrative tangle - it seems to dart back and forth and that Sam character is being used to obviously move the plot with his rather random obsession for this woman who he has known for maybe, a day? Then coupled with his terrible decision making skills, I'm finding myself raising some eyebrows. I guess its concluding next week though so hopefully they wrap it up nicely. :erm:

I really like Leiji Matsumoto's work such as Space Battleship Yamato and Galaxy Express 999, so I was interested to watch this one. I've only seen the first episode and appreciated the fact that they've kept his signature character design, which comparatively seems quite dated nowadays. I was also concerned about the short running length and how they'd address that. Now that it's on the verge of finishing, I'll probably marathon this one.

Biggest let down though, is Zetman. Just saw it and I seriously kept asking myself what was going on. The pacing just went absolutely random - first in the house, then another house, then a lab, then a jail, then a crepe stand. With no obvious movement in time nor change f place, the scene would literally change from in the middle of one to another and the audience is left baffling at what happened - I had to rewind a couple times because I thought maybe the video jumped. Oh and the characters were pretty bad in this episode. Jin was just all over the place, first full of himself, then angry, then crying then, happy, then crying. :lolwut:
Then the animation dropped a lot in the fight scene. Overall, this was a really poor episode. No idea what happened. Maybe they got scared they couldn't fit everything in 13 episodes as they spent near enough half of the first in close up face shots, but seriously, I'm not sure how they passed that for viewing. After that I would drop it but I think i'll give it 'till episode 4 to decide seeing as it looks set to "kick in" now. Its teetering for me. Though, I can here the teeth gnashing of the Zetman manga fans already. :teehee:

I haven't read the manga and can see where you're coming from with the pacing. However, I'm not too bothered about that or the drop in animation, it's still different from anything else that's on offer and I'm enjoying it. Despite the promising first episode, my hopes for something special are wearing thin, though.

Edit:

Original post by The_Pudding_Earl
I've been out of anime for too long. It took that show to bring me back in properly haha!

Sacrilege! I'm glad you're rekindling your interest in anime, hopefully this'll prompt a return to posting as well.

Everything's cool just haven't had that much free time at all until just recently and wanted to use that to get back in here! Lucky that a new season just started too

Are you still working at Wetherspoons? You should spare a moment to come on MSN. Would be nice to catch up.

I'm really excited to watch "Kids on the Slope"

From first impressions alone, this is definitely one of the most promising.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3135
So some sort of original anime sequel then? I see. I'm not really looking forward to it, I mean I like Mirai Nikki but there has to be an end to series and the original ending was good enough as it is. Oh well.

Agreed, Mirai Nikki was great but by the end I felt it was time to call it a day, so to speak. :tongue:
Oh. I rechecked it and you're right, it is 51. I got 100+ from some other website :s-smilie: I'll give it a go earlier than expected :tongue:

Problem is, now you'll be constantly comparing it to "manga-version" aha. But still, I'd say go for it, its at least worthy of the reputation that proceeds its viewing. I really couldn't say which I prefer, they are both special in their own ways.
Reply 3137
just realised in this second ep of zombie's second series that the chainsaw girl and that girl who likes the main character from their school are two different people :lolwut:
Original post by vin
just realised in this second ep of zombie's second series that the chainsaw girl and that girl who likes the main character from their school are two different people :lolwut:

:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Anime is cool.
Reply 3139
I still need to watch season 1. Watched 2 episodes as it aired, enjoyed it and then promptly forgot about it :nyoron:

Latest