The Student Room Group

Is Newcastle fine art any good?

For BA, I don't seem to see a lot of people applying there, everyone's applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Slade, Ruskin, St Martins etc. Is Newcastle not up there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ghostly
For BA, I don't seem to see a lot of people applying there, everyone's applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Slade, Ruskin, St Martins etc. Is Newcastle not up there?

I dont know why more people arent talking about it, when I was researching fine art Unis it has a really really good reputation and the course looks great. One of my classmates went to an open day and loved it. I had to go for a london Uni but it would be on my list of possibles if I could go outside london.
I hear it's fine.

LAWL.
Reply 3
Original post by KED
I dont know why more people arent talking about it, when I was researching fine art Unis it has a really really good reputation and the course looks great. One of my classmates went to an open day and loved it. I had to go for a london Uni but it would be on my list of possibles if I could go outside london.

Which london uni are you at? I got an offer from newcastle but no one on here ever talks about newcastle, so i'm not sure :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by ghostly
Which london uni are you at? I got an offer from newcastle but no one on here ever talks about newcastle, so i'm not sure :confused:

Ive firmed Camberwell for September, got offers for Chelsea & CSM as well but I love Camberwell :smile:

Dont take what you hear (or dont hear) on here as too important, theres tonnes of people who've never even heard of TSR, Ive noticed that on the Fine Art threads theres probably only about 20 people who post regularly and then a few people who join to check out something specific and never come back.

Did you go to an open day? How did the interview feel? if you loved it, go for it - you'll definately meet people and make friends.... some people said I was mad to go for Camberwell over CSM or Chelsea but I trusted what felt right.

Maybe go and spend a weekend in Newcastle exploring, get a feel for the place...?
Reply 5
Original post by KED
Ive firmed Camberwell for September, got offers for Chelsea & CSM as well but I love Camberwell :smile:

Dont take what you hear (or dont hear) on here as too important, theres tonnes of people who've never even heard of TSR, Ive noticed that on the Fine Art threads theres probably only about 20 people who post regularly and then a few people who join to check out something specific and never come back.

Did you go to an open day? How did the interview feel? if you loved it, go for it - you'll definately meet people and make friends.... some people said I was mad to go for Camberwell over CSM or Chelsea but I trusted what felt right.

Maybe go and spend a weekend in Newcastle exploring, get a feel for the place...?

Wow, well done! :biggrin: Are you doing foundation at the moment? I didn't do foundation, decided to skip it haha. I don't know that much about Chelsea but I know Camberwell and st martins are good, I guess it's your decision in the end :smile: What sort of art do you like?
I need to get AAB for Newcastle and i wish they lowered the grades, they told me that they only decided it would be AAB cus i was predicted so high...Now i'm regretting those predicted grades :tongue:
Yeah, I realised that there were regulars on here, but I was just a bit nervous that Newcastle wasn't so good for fine art, though it's quite high on the league table?
I didn't go to an open day :/ The interview was ok, they did most of the talking and asked for what they wanted instead of letting me expand on my answers. I think I like Newcastle...Just confirming it is really difficult because I can't get any opinions from other people about it!
Reply 6
Original post by ghostly
Wow, well done! :biggrin: Are you doing foundation at the moment? I didn't do foundation, decided to skip it haha. I don't know that much about Chelsea but I know Camberwell and st martins are good, I guess it's your decision in the end :smile: What sort of art do you like?
I need to get AAB for Newcastle and i wish they lowered the grades, they told me that they only decided it would be AAB cus i was predicted so high...Now i'm regretting those predicted grades :tongue:
Yeah, I realised that there were regulars on here, but I was just a bit nervous that Newcastle wasn't so good for fine art, though it's quite high on the league table?
I didn't go to an open day :/ The interview was ok, they did most of the talking and asked for what they wanted instead of letting me expand on my answers. I think I like Newcastle...Just confirming it is really difficult because I can't get any opinions from other people about it!

Thank you, yeah Im doing a foundation at a local college - Im an older student and didnt do A-levels so the foundation was perfect for me. I have heard of students who dont quite make the A-level offer sometimes the uni still accept them - if it comes to it, just talk to them and I'd bet they'd still accept you, sounds like they really like you. AAB is sooo high, a lot of pressure - its one of the things I love about UAL - they just ask that you pass a foundation, they're not bothered if its a distinction or merit so less pressure (though Im still shooting for a distinction :smile:)

I did a quick online search and you're right, no opinions either way except it does seem to be an exciting city for art. I found the student website which shows student work etc http://goarts.co.uk/ - it looks like good stuff.

I know it feels like a huge decision to make, looks like you'll be a trailblazer - in a years time if you love it come back and talk it up for anyone else in your position next year!

My art is all over the place at the moment, Im leaning towards sculpture/installation using film but a year ago I would have sworn I was a painter! Love Anish Kapoor, Bill Viola, Francis Bacon, Tracey Emin..... a real mixed bag!
Reply 7
The uni still accepts them even if they don't get the grades? :O I'm quite nervous about AAB to be really honest, I need to work pretty hard for it :/ When they told me at the end of the interview about my offer, they kept saying 'Don't worry about your A levels' what does that mean? It's AAB! ...Or do you think that could mean that they wouldn't mind me getting below it as long as I do my best? I know, I'm not trying to find a way of it being ok if I don't make it as high as AAB, I guess I'm just trying to comfort myself haha.
Thanks for giving me that website! Don't know how I didn't find it when I was desperately searching for their degree shows, I think I feel more comfortable now - Thanks! :biggrin:
You didn't miss much on A levels, I think they're quite stressful because of art at the same time, at least that's what I'm finding. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm 18 and when I went to Newcastle, it seems as if everyone's over 20, I'm quite shy so I'm a little nervous on that too haha.
I love installations too! I'm not so good at sculpture, I did it as part of my AS and can never get it the way I want it to be :L
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't apply but it is very well respected for fine art and they do a 4 year course which is useful for the students apparently, according to my tutor on foundation who teaches there.
Also it has one of the best student satisfaction rates in the country

I still think you should do a foundation and central st martins really isn't good for fine art btw
Reply 9
Original post by kaylafrances
I didn't apply but it is very well respected for fine art and they do a 4 year course which is useful for the students apparently, according to my tutor on foundation who teaches there.
Also it has one of the best student satisfaction rates in the country

I still think you should do a foundation and central st martins really isn't good for fine art btw

Why would a 4 year course be good, is it because it prepares you for a career/MA? Also, is there a reason why you didn't apply?
I've heard that CSM is good or design but not art...so it is true then? :eek:
Original post by ghostly
Why would a 4 year course be good, is it because it prepares you for a career/MA? Also, is there a reason why you didn't apply?
I've heard that CSM is good or design but not art...so it is true then? :eek:

Well particularly for you a 4 year course would give you more time to experiment, be less pressured etc - something that you would've been able to play with during foundation year
No, i never really thought about it tbh. I have a few friends that applied though and i know one that's going.
Yeah its the best for fashion but fine art has really gone downhill there. I wouldn't advise it for anyone.
Reply 11
Original post by kaylafrances
Well particularly for you a 4 year course would give you more time to experiment, be less pressured etc - something that you would've been able to play with during foundation year
No, i never really thought about it tbh. I have a few friends that applied though and i know one that's going.
Yeah its the best for fashion but fine art has really gone downhill there. I wouldn't advise it for anyone.

Oh I see, I think I'll be going to newcastle next year too. What grades does your friend need to get? I'm nervous :frown:
Reply 12
Finally found people who intend to go to newcastle for fine art!
I've looked everywhere :/

But yeah, I have an offer too and if you have any questions about the place or the city feel free to ask as I kinda live there!
Reply 13
Original post by daaayul
Finally found people who intend to go to newcastle for fine art!
I've looked everywhere :/

But yeah, I have an offer too and if you have any questions about the place or the city feel free to ask as I kinda live there!

wow, finally found someone who's going haha. When did you get the offer and what's newcastle like?
Reply 14
I got my offer a week ago today! :biggrin:
And newcastle city is amazzing for art, so many galleries and a lot of art stores.
Student night life is also really good, voted number one in the uk!
And newcastle as a uni is third in the country according to the university guide, so you know its a good uni!

If you haven't been around the art department then I'll tell you the studios are really spacious, the study abroad options are really good too!
Plus there in the process of building new extension onto the art building for new students starting this year with bigger studios and better facilities!
Reply 15
Sorry to intrude on your thread but can I ask how long it took for you to get your offers? I had my interview last week and was wondering how much longer I have to wait :smile: I have had offers from 4 other Unis but can't make a decision until I hear from Newcastle as this will be my firm choice if they let me in!

Also what kind of offers are they giving people. I am currently doing a foundation but was wondering if they specify the A-Levels when making offers?

On a side note, Newcastle is a great city for the Arts with the Baltic Centre aswell as many smaller galleries and what not. Loads to do and has a really nice feeling to it.
Reply 16
Original post by Royalmia
Sorry to intrude on your thread but can I ask how long it took for you to get your offers? I had my interview last week and was wondering how much longer I have to wait :smile: I have had offers from 4 other Unis but can't make a decision until I hear from Newcastle as this will be my firm choice if they let me in!

Also what kind of offers are they giving people. I am currently doing a foundation but was wondering if they specify the A-Levels when making offers?

On a side note, Newcastle is a great city for the Arts with the Baltic Centre aswell as many smaller galleries and what not. Loads to do and has a really nice feeling to it.

i got my offer at the end of the interview, i know someone who got his offer about a week after his, so i guess it's different for everyone?
Btw, where else have you got offers from?
Also, they usually want AAB - BBB, depending on your portfolio.
Reply 17
Original post by Royalmia

i do foundation too, and i had my interview on a monday and found out on the wednesday, so not very long at all! but i know some people have waited up to four weeks to find out from newcastle! so its different for everybody!

and if you do foundation they only ask for a pass, very low for such a high end university.

also i wouldnt worry about your alevels, im nowhere near the requirements but the still gave me an offer :biggrin:
Reply 18
so why newcastle and not somewhere like, st martins or slade etc?
Reply 19
Original post by daaayul
i do foundation too, and i had my interview on a monday and found out on the wednesday, so not very long at all! but i know some people have waited up to four weeks to find out from newcastle! so its different for everybody!

and if you do foundation they only ask for a pass, very low for such a high end university.

also i wouldnt worry about your alevels, im nowhere near the requirements but the still gave me an offer :biggrin:

Do you know anyone else who is going? I don't know anyone :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest