The Student Room Group

Pro-life society...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Skeletorfw
It's like chopping off a leg, or cutting out a tumour. Sometimes it's objectionable, sometimes it's necessary, but it should always be a choice for the person involved.

If a person told you to do something that only you had any meaningful say in, like ordered you to like a band, or get a tattoo; would you say yes just because they thought it was the thing you should do?

Naturally you're entitled to your opinion, I just think life's more interesting if you challenge your own beliefs.

How can you compare a baby to a tumour?
Original post by tufc

He was just wum-ing, I doubt that is actually his opinion.
Original post by tufc

I'm not saying a baby is a tumour, however a foetus is a parasite. Maybe a desirable one, maybe not, but biologically it is as it exists in a symbiotic relationship beneficial to only one side.
Original post by Skeletorfw
I'm not saying a baby is a tumour, however a foetus is a parasite. Maybe a desirable one, maybe not, but biologically it is as it exists in a symbiotic relationship beneficial to only one side.

Don't mean to be a dick, but that is not what symbiosis means. Symbiosis is the interaction between species, not individual organisms. Also symbiosis, by definition, is beneficial to both sides.
Also, you shouldn't really base political/ethical beliefs on science, otherwise you will end up like this dickhead:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328460.400-roger-scruton-green-philosophy-begins-at-home.html
If you sign in, you can read the full article but just to sum it up he tries to justify his conervative agenda with the second law of thermodynamics. What a load of ****. I'm taking it tothe extreme, but I on't like people who use science to try t justify ethical stances.
Original post by ScheduleII
That every woman who is pregnant has an absolute duty to carry the baby to term; aborting is unjustifiable killing.

What about when a woman has been raped? Or when having a child will severely threaten the health of the mother?
Original post by weetabixmonster
What about when a woman has been raped? Or when having a child will severely threaten the health of the mother?

The unborn child is not any less valuable due to their father being a rapist.
Severe threat to health: depends if likely to be fatal , if so then mother's life comes above foetus' life.
Original post by ScheduleII
The unborn child is not any less valuable due to their father being a rapist.
Severe threat to health: depends if likely to be fatal , if so then mother's life comes above foetus' life.

What if a 12 year old girl, with a disability and living in poverty was raped?
If you're pro life, like, really pro life, then go and adopt a child, foster a kid, help out at your local homeless shelter. Abortion shouldn't have to happen, no, but in some circumstances it is unfortunately, in the best interests for everyone.
Original post by Invictus_88
If that's where you draw the line, that's where you draw the line, but we're all bundles of cells, you and me both. And if I was ever reliant on life support, I like to think I would be given the days, weeks (or nine months?) necessary for me to open my eyes again without being killed by someone who considered me unworthy of a future.

Im sorry but what if you were brain-dead, to say, a vegetable with no hope of you ever opening your eyes again. Sure some basic motor functions would still be there but for most things, such as breathing, you would need mechanical help. Your still a 'bundle of cells', just not a self-reliant bundle. And I believe that Idea os 'self-reliance' can cme into play when thinking about a foetus, whilst I dangerously toe the line of eugenics with this, surely if a foetus is determined to, say, be born without motor function or any higher brain fuction, surely it is better for the mother to abort this child and try for another, one that can actually be self-reliant?
Original post by weetabixmonster
If you're pro life, like, really pro life, then go and adopt a child, foster a kid, help out at your local homeless shelter. Abortion shouldn't have to happen, no, but in some circumstances it is unfortunately, in the best interests for everyone.

Except the child.
Original post by Adequate Idiot
Im sorry but what if you were brain-dead, to say, a vegetable with no hope of you ever opening your eyes again. Sure some basic motor functions would still be there but for most things, such as breathing, you would need mechanical help. Your still a 'bundle of cells', just not a self-reliant bundle. And I believe that Idea os 'self-reliance' can cme into play when thinking about a foetus, whilst I dangerously toe the line of eugenics with this, surely if a foetus is determined to, say, be born without motor function or any higher brain fuction, surely it is better for the mother to abort this child and try for another, one that can actually be self-reliant?

That's an argumet I've not heard before. Where would you draw the line?
Original post by When you see it...
That's an argumet I've not heard before. Where would you draw the line?

Thank you, I suppose personally I would draw the line at someone is is, from birth, has no autonomous control over themseleves, no 'self' as it were. I wouldnt abort a child of mine if it had Down syndrome's or autism as these people can still have fulfiling lives (as I wouldnt chance it simply because the doctor says it might be 'severe'). To this end, any person who, say, will never develop, cognitivly wise. Again, im toeing the line of eugenics saying this but its just my peronal belief. Put yourself in the shoes of a 16 year old teenage mother, whose just had a baby, who is mentally 'handicapped' and will always have the mind of a 6 month old, is it fair for her to be straddled with a fully grown physical adult who will never be able to look after themselves?
Original post by When you see it...

Okay then. I simply believe that foetuses are alive and are 'humans'. Therefore, it naturally follows that it is wrong to abort foetuses, even if the mother was raped or had a malfuntioning condom or whatever. I do however believe that if the foetus is unlikely to survive and the mother's life would be put in danger by going ahead with the birth (the doctor would have to scrutinise the probabilities very carefully to decide the best course of action) then abortion woud be acceptable (perhaps compulsory). I am against making abortion illegal as that would not stop it from happening (same with drugs, prostitution etc.), but believe in increasing public awareness about just how 'alive' foetuses are and more sex education at a much younger age than it is provided currently.

So you believe it is right to force a woman who had been raped to relive the terror of her attack every time she looks at her child, and possibly end up hating them because of it?

Just challenging your stance - I agree that this is a subject that no one every changes their mind about, and I like that you respect other opinions.
Reply 173
One thing that I do not understand with the whole abortion issue is that there seems that there needs to be a morally justified / 'suitable' reason to have an abortion.
eg. you cannot abort based on gender

If people believe that a fertilised egg/fetus is just a bunch of cells that are of no significance then surely you should be able to have an abortion for any, whatever whimsical, reason you like.

Imo the abortion limit being at 24 weeks is evidence that the government does not hold the life of a fetus that important, therefore I think it's contradictory when there was outrage that fetuses were being illegally aborted because of gender. My question is, if it's just a bunch of unimportant cells, why does it matter?
Reply 174
I am pro-abortion.

I actually used to be pro-life. I was very strict on my views in that a baby should have the right to life. Then when I started having sex, I realised that if I was in the situation where I got pregnant, I would have an abortion as soon as possible. I've never had to make such a decision but I know that is what I would do. My friend is currently pregnant and due to being a Christian she is having her baby at just 17. She had dreams of being an architect and now her life is on hold for eighteen years because of one mistake. Her boyfriend used to hit her and now she feels she is stuck with him and no matter what I say she is staying with him and keeping the baby.

I find it astonishing that men even hold such strong opinions about abortion. Unless you're the father involved, I personally believe you have no right to judge a woman either way, whether she keeps it or whether she aborts it. It's like we women judging men because of something they do with their penises. We will never, ever experience that so who are we to judge? It's plain stupid. You can quite easily say you're against abortion because it will never directly affect you. You will never get pregnant. I would much rather listen to a pro-life female.

Finally, to the comments about the rape of a woman and how that isn't the baby's fault, again if you haven't been raped I think you have no right to underestimate the trauma they go through. That's all I'll say on that matter.

Unless doctors can categorically prove foetuses can feel pain before 24 weeks, I believe that is where the limit should stay unless further medical issues develop.
Original post by Adequate Idiot
Thank you, I suppose personally I would draw the line at someone is is, from birth, has no autonomous control over themseleves, no 'self' as it were. I wouldnt abort a child of mine if it had Down syndrome's or autism as these people can still have fulfiling lives (as I wouldnt chance it simply because the doctor says it might be 'severe'). To this end, any person who, say, will never develop, cognitivly wise. Again, im toeing the line of eugenics saying this but its just my peronal belief. Put yourself in the shoes of a 16 year old teenage mother, whose just had a baby, who is mentally 'handicapped' and will always have the mind of a 6 month old, is it fair for her to be straddled with a fully grown physical adult who will never be able to look after themselves?

It wouldn't necessarily be the mother's responsibility to look after the child though. I suppose if I was in that position I would look into adoption. I think it is a bit vague to say 'autonomous control from bith' because nobody really is born with that. It's not eugenics, because you have no designs on the population (from what I gather), you are simply putting forward your personal approach and any change in the alleles in the population is a consuquence rather than a motivation.

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
So you believe it is right to force a woman who had been raped to relive the terror of her attack every time she looks at her child, and possibly end up hating them because of it?

Just challenging your stance - I agree that this is a subject that no one every changes their mind about, and I like that you respect other opinions.

If she doesn't want the child and it is traumatic for her to see it, I think she should put it up for adoption when it is born. The argument remains that for the duration of her pregnancy the reminder is still there. Again though, I think that the right of the mother to 9 months of 'comfort' (this is probably not appropriate but you get what I mean) is less important than the right of the baby to live.
With regards to your second paragraph, I'm actually changing my views all the time (although not really from debating on tsr :wink:). Granted, I have never radically changed my views overnight.
Original post by Pin
One thing that I do not understand with the whole abortion issue is that there seems that there needs to be a morally justified / 'suitable' reason to have an abortion.
eg. you cannot abort based on gender

If people believe that a fertilised egg/fetus is just a bunch of cells that are of no significance then surely you should be able to have an abortion for any, whatever whimsical, reason you like.

Imo the abortion limit being at 24 weeks is evidence that the government does not hold the life of a fetus that important, therefore I think it's contradictory when there was outrage that fetuses were being illegally aborted because of gender. My question is, if it's just a bunch of unimportant cells, why does it matter?

I agree. Anyone want to address this?
Original post by eelnais
I am pro-abortion.

I actually used to be pro-life. I was very strict on my views in that a baby should have the right to life. Then when I started having sex, I realised that if I was in the situation where I got pregnant, I would have an abortion as soon as possible. I've never had to make such a decision but I know that is what I would do. My friend is currently pregnant and due to being a Christian she is having her baby at just 17. She had dreams of being an architect and now her life is on hold for eighteen years because of one mistake. Her boyfriend used to hit her and now she feels she is stuck with him and no matter what I say she is staying with him and keeping the baby.

I find it astonishing that men even hold such strong opinions about abortion. Unless you're the father involved, I personally believe you have no right to judge a woman either way, whether she keeps it or whether she aborts it. It's like we women judging men because of something they do with their penises. We will never, ever experience that so who are we to judge? It's plain stupid. You can quite easily say you're against abortion because it will never directly affect you. You will never get pregnant. I would much rather listen to a pro-life female.

Finally, to the comments about the rape of a woman and how that isn't the baby's fault, again if you haven't been raped I think you have no right to underestimate the trauma they go through. That's all I'll say on that matter.

Unless doctors can categorically prove foetuses can feel pain before 24 weeks, I believe that is where the limit should stay unless further medical issues develop.

...I'm going to ignore this post.
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but why is there so much campaigning for/against abortions. Why don't people who are pro life or anti abortion just, you know, NOT have abortions, and let those who do believe it's necessary have them. Why do people feel the need to press their views on everyone?
Reply 179
Original post by eelnais
I am pro-abortion.
My friend is currently pregnant and due to being a Christian she is having her baby at just 17. She had dreams of being an architect and now her life is on hold for eighteen years because of one mistake. Her boyfriend used to hit her and now she feels she is stuck with him and no matter what I say she is staying with him and keeping the baby.

Is you're friend being a little contradictory in the sense she had pre-marital sex which the Bible says you shouldn't yet she won't have an abortion. I find it hard to believe that her Christianity is the sole reason she is choosing to keep the child. Clearly we don't know the situation but if she is being abused by her bf please encourage her to leave him/stay away. Domestic violence can lead to death and can not only be damaging to your friend but also her child.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending