The Student Room Group

Wearing a bra to bed - bad for you?

I do this pretty much every night but I read that it increases the risk of breast cancer - is that actually true? I know I probably shouldn't but I feel weird without the support (am a 32D), is there anything I can wear instead? Or is there only a risk if you wear non-underwired bras?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bad for me..
Reply 2
is it ****, everything seems to cause cancer these days... I always wear mine too.
I wear mine, it just feels weird without it on for some reason
Reply 4
No, it doesn't cause cancer. But wearing a wired bra to bed makes causes inflammation and irritation in the areas that the breast tissue is being poked by the wire when your whole weight is on it. Although if you are still developing make sure you've been measured and fitted properly because an ill-fitting bra can lead to bad/weird growth.

I have 32GG's, the support you need standing up is different from the support you need lying down. If you visit the Bravissimo site, there's a whole section on how to take care of your boobies when you want to sleep. Also, trust me if you take your bra off after a long day you will visit a new kind of heaven.
i tend not to sleep in my bra cause it's uncomfortable but i do wear it when im sleeping over a friends place cause other wise my boobies tend to have a free for all and get every where lol aka not a pretty sight in the mornings lol

but i very much doubt that is cause cancer...... but nowaday every bloody thing (apparently) cause the big c! x
bad for me
i am deeply not comfortable when wear it. and it is reports that wearing bras is one of the factors lead to cancer...
Reply 7
id never heard of it leading to cancer
however i have been told the underwiring damages the tissue because they're made to be worn standing/sitting up...
Reply 8
I have never heard of wearing a bra to bed increases your risk to breast cancer either.
I did sleep with it on once, made me feel really comfortable, and never since.
Reply 9
Saying wearing a bra to bed gives you breast cancer, is like saying wearing clothes gives you skin cancer. I've never heard the claim.
I personally don't wear a bra, it's a bit uncomfortable and night time is the only time I can be 'free', if you knowmsayin' :colondollar:.

You could just wear your normal bed time clothes, its shouldn't be a problem.
I read the same info, a while ago about bras and cancer
Reply 11
Original post by Ezekiella
I do this pretty much every night but I read that it increases the risk of breast cancer - is that actually true? I know I probably shouldn't but I feel weird without the support (am a 32D), is there anything I can wear instead? Or is there only a risk if you wear non-underwired bras?

How can you sleep in your bra? I get soo uncomfortable! (I'm 30DD so a similar size to you!)

Also, as people have said, it can really irritate the breast tissue. Best to take it off really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Girls it's always best to take your bras off. Same with boxers, never sleep with them on, feels good to feel the freedom imo
Reply 13
Original post by Deema
No, it doesn't cause cancer. But wearing a wired bra to bed makes causes inflammation and irritation in the areas that the breast tissue is being poked by the wire when your whole weight is on it. Although if you are still developing make sure you've been measured and fitted properly because an ill-fitting bra can lead to bad/weird growth.

I have 32GG's, the support you need standing up is different from the support you need lying down. If you visit the Bravissimo site, there's a whole section on how to take care of your boobies when you want to sleep. Also, trust me if you take your bra off after a long day you will visit a new kind of heaven.

Thanks! Could you post a link to the Bravissimo site section? I browsed their site but couldn't find it, but any more info would be useful :smile:

I thought it might cause cancer b/c of this link btw:

http://www.sarahbesthealth.com/bras-and-breast-cancer/

but having Googled it there doesn't seem to be much of a link...
Reply 14
Wearing a bra to bed?? I don't wear a bra in the day time if I can avoid it.. but i'm only a C do I don't really have the issue of them falling out anywhere! :tongue: I just generally find them uncomfortable.
Reply 15
I thought it had something to do with impairment of lymphatic drainage, which can cause lymphedema (lymph vessel blockage and swelling). The cancer link doesn't appear to be very strong.

More here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_you_get_breast_cancer_if_you_wear_a_bra_to_bed
(Sources at bottom of the page)
My bra's are criminally comfortable but there's nothing like taking it off after a long day. I'm a 36FF so they need a lot of love and support!

I'll wear a bra to bed if I absolutely have to but other than that I don't bother. I sleep in a t-shirt and PJ bottoms anyway so the only way for them to fly out is if I take my top off in my sleep.
If i'm on my own I don't wear one in bed, it's nice to take them off and let your skin breathe sometimes!

I don't think wearing one is particularly bad for you though, the cancer evidence seems to be quite weak.
Yes. I wear a bra to bed. It's the only place I can wear one without being seen, and it makes me feel like the woman I am inside! :colonhash:
Reply 19
Original post by Laurah5498
My bra's are criminally comfortable but there's nothing like taking it off after a long day.

Totally agree with you, and I'm only 34B! I get home - bra comes off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending