The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

How easy to switch courses?

I currently have an offer from statistics with finance and am planning to come to LSE this summer. I now wanna switch to Maths and Economics degree. Is this possible? Will it depend on the amount of places available for Maths and Econ? How big/low are my chances?
Reply 1
Original post by Mierder
I currently have an offer from statistics with finance and am planning to come to LSE this summer. I now wanna switch to Maths and Economics degree. Is this possible? Will it depend on the amount of places available for Maths and Econ? How big/low are my chances?

the two courses are pretty much the same in the first year, just make sure you're doing the 4 modules that maths+econ do (ec102, ma100, st102 & ma103)
and then and the end of first year, make sure you inform your head of dept and academic advisor and then its up to the maths dept to approve it
just make sure you do well in your exams too, they're much nicer when you've got good grades in your first year!... but it shouldn't be too difficult to switch at the end of the year
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Milan.
the two courses are pretty much the same in the first year, just make sure you're doing the 4 modules that maths+econ do (ec102, ma100, st102 & ma103)
and then and the end of first year, make sure you inform your head of dept and academic advisor and then its up to the maths dept to approve it
just make sure you do well in your exams too, they're much nicer when you've got good grades in your first year!... but it shouldn't be too difficult to switch at the end of the year

Will i be able to change it at the start of the year or will i have to wait until the end of the year?

On the website it says i can change at the start of the year:http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/registrationTimetablesAssessment/Registration/Course/Undergraduate/ugcoursechange.aspx
Reply 3
Original post by Mierder
Will i be able to change it at the start of the year or will i have to wait until the end of the year?

On the website it says i can change at the start of the year:http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/registrationTimetablesAssessment/Registration/Course/Undergraduate/ugcoursechange.aspx

on that page, course change means module change

as i said before, just take the 4 courses (modules) that maths+econ take in the first year and then no doubt you'll be able to change at the end of the year (as long as you do well/give a good reason why you want to change)
Reply 4
Original post by Milan.

as i said before, just take the 4 courses (modules) that maths+econ take in the first year and then no doubt you'll be able to change at the end of the year (as long as you do well/give a good reason why you want to change)

By well, what do you mean? 60%+ in all first year exams? Is changing likely or do you have to have a genuine reason
Reply 5
Original post by Milan.

lol, Maths and Econ is very competitive, what makes you thing there will be space at the end of first year?
Reply 6
Original post by Mierder
By well, what do you mean? 60%+ in all first year exams? Is changing likely or do you have to have a genuine reason

two firsts and two 2.1s is considered very good, four 2.1's is also good
2.1 being 60 to 70 and a 1st being 70 and above

doing well means they'll probably not have much worry in letting you change to anything quite easily

doing less well might give them reasons not to, but people who havent done too well have gotten away with changing course in the past, some people give reasons to why they want to change course and they allow them

but if you do well then they're more likely to be okay with you changing degrees

Original post by Yangh
lol, Maths and Econ is very competitive, what makes you thing there will be space at the end of first year?

i dont think theres a physical space/room where all maths+econ students gather/take classes or congregate
if you want to change modules and courses and degrees around, LSE are known let most people do so
Reply 7
Standard conditions are 2 x 2:1 and 2 x 2:2 in your first year.

I switched from BMS to M & E last year with no problems
Reply 8
Original post by bt_1000

Just out of interest, how hard is getting a 2:1 and 2:2 during first year? Comparable to A-level Maths, Further Maths and sciences, is it that much more effort than getting A or A*?
Reply 9
Original post by Yangh

It might be competitive to get a place when applying to LSE but that doesn't mean it's competitive to switch once you're in.

I'm sure there will be some maths and econ students moving out to pure econ
Reply 10
Original post by bt_1000

Hey im planning on switching from Economics and Economic History (Econ His Dept) to straight Economics. They have the exact same 3 core courses. But Economics and Economic History has AAB undergrad entry and Economics is A*AA.

When you ask to switch the degree, do they revise your A Level grades and personal statement or do you just need your first year grades and a good reason to why you wish to change.
Reply 11
same question as james0527
Here's what I could find from the LSE website about transferring to a different degree programme.

Also, this thread might be helpful as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending