The Student Room Group

ESSAY about Principle of parliamentary sovereignty underpins the British Constitution

Hey guys, I really need some help. The full essay title is:

To what extent does the principle of parliamentary sovereignty still underpin the British constitution in terms of its practical functioning?

Im seriously struggling with this essay and would like all the help I can get. Thank you so much for any advice on how to plan it or any points you can give me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Reply 1
I'd mention the European Union and its various treaties--how far do they undermine parliament's sovereign authority? Also discuss the Human Rights Act and the increasing use of referenda; you could perhaps talk about the whipping system and executive-dominated parliaments, though personally I think any case made against parliamentary sovereignity on that basis would be feeble at best/
Reply 2
I'd have a look at Jackson v Attorney General, particularly at Lord Hope's judgement, where he says the rule of law rather than parliamentary sovereignty underpins the constitution.
Reply 3
hey thank you very much, do you have any points on why the principle of parliamentary sovereignty still underpins the British Constitution and any examples. It would be much appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by wesson124
hey thank you very much, do you have any points on why the principle of parliamentary sovereignty still underpins the British Constitution and any examples. It would be much appreciated.

The examples of Parliamentary sovereignty are apparent in every action of government. Although the HRA and European Union take sovereignty over England, the executive still remains the ultimate law making body in the country. For example in the Dale Farm evictions, the process took so long as the travelers claimed there human rights were being breached, the case went to the supreme court and the eviction was rued legal and so it shows the government getting their way, but working through the restrictions.
Original post by Duffy is?
The examples of Parliamentary sovereignty are apparent in every action of government. Although the HRA and European Union take sovereignty over England, the executive still remains the ultimate law making body in the country. For example in the Dale Farm evictions, the process took so long as the travelers claimed there human rights were being breached, the case went to the supreme court and the eviction was rued legal and so it shows the government getting their way, but working through the restrictions.

Urm no. The executive does not make law. Parliament makes law.
PS is still absolute because remember the ECtHR and EU only have power because Parliament legislated that they have power in this country.

Quick Reply

Latest