The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amto8594
This might sound stupid, but do catered halls have kitchens cause I get quite peckish in-between meals :P so what do you do if you want a quick snack or want to make a drink?

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but for your own sake: Go self-catered! The food in catered halls is horrendous and you won't appreciate the true value of being able to cook your own meals until you stumble in at 4am and realize that you could really do with cheese on toast. Or in the case of one of my flatmates, an entire box of Special K. Seriously. Go Self-Catered!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2101
Original post by amto8594
This might sound stupid, but do catered halls have kitchens cause I get quite peckish in-between meals :P so what do you do if you want a quick snack or want to make a drink?

I think all of them do; some have only a microwave, a fridge and a sink in them while others have an oven as well.

It is better to post such queries in the accomodation or 'ask a current ucl student' threads, this way you won't get any negative reps. And yes, I know that replying to the post only continues the subject in the wrong thread but it is spring so let's be nice :smile:
Reply 2102
Seven weeks until my year abroad ends and I'm more or less a fourth year :biggrin: And just under a month until I turn 22, which is less exciting :s-smilie:

And to butt in on the tu/vous discussion that's totally over by now...In Italy, you use the vous equivalent for anyone you don't know personally regardless of authority, with the obvious exception of adults-children. When emailing with my lecturers, they call me 'Lei' and vice versa. Pretty sure I've only ever been tutoied (can't spell anything french related now haha) by teachers in French, so it's slightly strange. And the Italians seem much more chilled out about the whole thing. When I was in France, I'd get constantly shouted at for 'tu'ing people I should 'vous' (and vice versa once lol) even when it was obvious I was simply making foreigner mistakes not actively being rude. Here, no one even politely points out the mistake, nevermind full on has a go like several French people did.

Original post by kerily
I'm pretty sure you have to pick up prescriptions in person, surely? Unless they post them out to you... :holmes:

Might have already been said, but you can send someone in to collect them on your behalf at my GP. Obviously if they want to see you in person there's no way around that, but my mum picks up my repeat prescriptions for me all the time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2103
Has anybody ever had a dissertation or thesis printed at ULU? How long does it take to do?
Reply 2104
Does anyone know if there's a way to access our unapproved results? Ican't find anything on Portico, but my personal tutor told me there is a database she can look into, nonetheless, is it accessible to students as well?
Reply 2105
Original post by Ivanka
Does anyone know if there's a way to access our unapproved results? Ican't find anything on Portico, but my personal tutor told me there is a database she can look into, nonetheless, is it accessible to students as well?

I don't think so; if it was indeed possible noone would be so excited in July when the results are published on Portico :smile: But it makes sense that the tutor would have access to such a database; why do you need your results earlier?
Original post by Ivanka

No, we can't.

I got my results early last year, about the end of June (my last exam was ~3rd June). People I know who asked were told what they got, nobody seemed to mind telling students their results before they were officially released.
Reply 2107
Original post by lilys
I don't think so; if it was indeed possible noone would be so excited in July when the results are published on Portico :smile: But it makes sense that the tutor would have access to such a database; why do you need your results earlier?

I need to know how well I did in my first oral so that I know whether to improve my second one or not. I would also love to stop fretting about my Arabic aural exam, but I think it'd be better if I didn't see the result after we all did miserably :biggrin:
Original post by Tolth
I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that it will not, in fact, change anything significant except the aesthetic. I imagine anything new is very exciting when you work in an IT service department full time..

Not true there are a lot of upgrades, marking etc will be a more comprehensive service. Lots more features, you won't really notice the improvements because they would have been avoided (ie group marking for multiple projects). But there are multiple improvements. (I work with ISD).
OMG first exam next Friday. Absolutely shi****g it now lol.

First of eight exams :cry:
Original post by Ultimate1
OMG first exam next Friday. Absolutely shi****g it now lol.

First of eight exams :cry:

Yeah same here.
Original post by sundogs
Has anybody ever had a dissertation or thesis printed at ULU? How long does it take to do?

It really depends on how busy it is but I guess if handed in in the morning, you should have it by the afternoon if it's a soft binding.
Original post by FranticMind
Yeah same here.

Do you do Maths?
Do you do Maths?

Nah Electronic Engineering. Funny how we have the same start day and number of exams?

I didn't realise maths had 8 exams - I thought you only did a few but they were all difficult? Or are you doing a joint honours?

I finish 17th of May! Cannot wait!!! How about you?

EDIT: I just checked the timetable, Are you final year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Nah Electronic Engineering. Funny how we have the same start day and number of exams?

I didn't realise maths had 8 exams - I thought you only did a few but they were all difficult? Or are you doing a joint honours?

I finish 17th of May! Cannot wait!!! How about you?

EDIT: I just checked the timetable, Are you final year?

:lol:

ooohhhhh, you finish just a day before me. I finish on the 18th :tongue:.

Looking to the great long summer ahead that we've got :wink:

Na man I'm first year :tongue:
Reply 2115
:lol:

ooohhhhh, you finish just a day before me. I finish on the 18th :tongue:.

Looking to the great long summer ahead that we've got :wink:

Woo hoo, I also finish on the 18th :smile: I'm a first year, too...

Isn't it really strange having 4-month-long summer holidays though? :biggrin:
Reply 2116
Original post by Ivanka

I finished on the 5th last year and the 8th this year :P It's quite ridiculous, no other unis seem to have such long holidays! Not that I'm complaining... now to find something to fill them with!

Ah well good luck! How I would love to be a first year again!

Yeah the epic long summer was fun I enjoyed doing absolutely nothing first year!!

This year I have to start my 3rd year project immediately after the exams and I have my job before the end of term. I only get a few weeks in June off cos I have an internship from beginning of July to the start of next academic year!

Hope you had a great first year, I know I loved mine!
Original post by Ivanka

How did you find your first year? :biggrin:

Yeah, I already stumped at what to do with such a long holiday :eek:
Ah well good luck! How I would love to be a first year again!

Yeah the epic long summer was fun I enjoyed doing absolutely nothing first year!!

This year I have to start my 3rd year project immediately after the exams and I have my job before the end of term. I only get a few weeks in June off cos I have an internship from beginning of July to the start of next academic year!

Hope you had a great first year, I know I loved mine!

Thanks mate, and I hope you do great on your exams too. :biggrin:

Yeah looks like it's going to be the same with me too, doing nothing all summer long. :tongue:

Yeah was a good first year. Hopefully things don't change too much for coming years :colone:
Reply 2119
How did you find your first year? :biggrin:

Yeah, I already stumped at what to do with such a long holiday :eek:

Well, I'm having quite a mixed feeling about my first year, because there were a few things I was dissatisfied with. On the other hand, at least I know that now and I won't do the same mistakes again :wink: Besides, I've made some friends, which has made the year pleasant. I can't wait until I arrive for my exams, right now I¨m craving some Nando's meals (we don't have any in Czechia)... Oh no, my purse will cry :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending