The Student Room Group

Revision Stress

So i need an overall grade of C at English Lit to get into uni.
I had a C at AS with a B in the C/W and a C in the exam.
So i'm resitting my AS exam in 4/5 weeks to try and boost it to a B/A.

I'm just really stressed as I also have 4 A2 exams to revise for and my revision table is actually daunting. Starting at 5pm and ending at 11pm.

I'm actually starting to get nose bleeds because of much i'm stressing. I just really need to get into uni.

I don't know the point of my thread but is anybody feeling this worried as i am? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reduce your schedule -if you're so stressed your nose is bleeding something needs to change.
Reply 2
Original post by thefunktopus69
Reduce your schedule -if you're so stressed your nose is bleeding something needs to change.

I would, but I feel that if I do then I won't be able to get what I need for uni. :frown:
5-11pm is far too much. Your body is a temple so it needs rest. 6 hours is daunting far too much. go with the flow :smile:
Original post by echeee

I'm actually starting to get nose bleeds :frown:

Lol
Reply 5
I feel exactly the same way about my psychology grade, need an A for uni but I got a really low A at AS, B in Jan so I'm retaking that but I also need an A in the June module for an A overall and it's KILLING ME! Seriously though, 6 hours every day along with college etc is far too much. I know it's a cliche but it really is about what kind of revision you do rather than how many hours - you would be surprised with what can be achieved in a hour of concentrated revision! :smile:
Reply 6
If i feel stressed then i usually just go outside for a quick fag
Original post by echeee
So i need an overall grade of C at English Lit to get into uni.
I had a C at AS with a B in the C/W and a C in the exam.
So i'm resitting my AS exam in 4/5 weeks to try and boost it to a B/A.

I'm just really stressed as I also have 4 A2 exams to revise for and my revision table is actually daunting. Starting at 5pm and ending at 11pm.

I'm actually starting to get nose bleeds because of much i'm stressing. I just really need to get into uni.

I don't know the point of my thread but is anybody feeling this worried as i am? :frown:

Yikes. Um... how about, as another poster said, reducing the intensity of your schedule?

Also, next time, don't leave it till too late.

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!

So:

- Don't make notes, they waste time. Just read over and over and over again, especially every night before you sleep.
- Read occasionally but little. It's better to do 10 mins every day than one big bulk of work on one day.
- NO ALL-NIGHTERS! They don't work.
- Practise practise practise.
- Ask your teacher anything you don't understand, WHILE YOU CAN! A few days before the exam and you are screwed.
- Chillax... about... hmmm maybe every 50 mins. I mean I can work hours at a time for Eng Lit cause time goes by so fast! But if your nose is bleeding and if it is that bad then take it easy :frown:

I'm doing Eng Lit AS, I can't imagine how hard it must be at A2 :'O
Good luck, and keep it up! :biggrin:
I feel your pain. I am under a TON of pressure right now with uni. Got 5 exams in two weeks time with my course. Its an integrated masters and I'm in 2nd year. All my flatmates have three exams and they are walking about whistling and drinking while I have to sit in my room and revise NON stop. People are saying 5pm to 11pm is 2 much!?! If I only done 5pm til 11pm I'm bound to failure. Honestly I'm 9-1 break for lunch 2-6 break for dinner and then 7- till bed. Everyday. It still will leave me short for these dam hard exams.

One of my exams is based to 50 lectures each lasting an hour... and thats just 1 of 5. its ridiculously hard.

On top of that I have a practical asseessment in 4 days time and its pass or fail basis. Already failed the excemption because I missed two words out of my report.

Seriously a nose bleed would be a good thing.... means I have an excuse to have an extra rest:angry:
Reply 9
Original post by carpe diem 123
Lol

I don't think it's funny...

Original post by M4LLY
If i feel stressed then i usually just go outside for a quick fag

I'm trying to give up :P

Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Yikes. Um... how about, as another poster said, reducing the intensity of your schedule?

Also, next time, don't leave it till too late.

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!

So:

- Don't make notes, they waste time. Just read over and over and over again, especially every night before you sleep.
- Read occasionally but little. It's better to do 10 mins every day than one big bulk of work on one day.
- NO ALL-NIGHTERS! They don't work.
- Practise practise practise.
- Ask your teacher anything you don't understand, WHILE YOU CAN! A few days before the exam and you are screwed.
- Chillax... about... hmmm maybe every 50 mins. I mean I can work hours at a time for Eng Lit cause time goes by so fast! But if your nose is bleeding and if it is that bad then take it easy :frown:

I'm doing Eng Lit AS, I can't imagine how hard it must be at A2 :'O
Good luck, and keep it up! :biggrin:

I haven't left it late exactly as I've been doing an hour a day since christmas, I just don't feel it's enough and had to up the amount I did. But I guess i'll try and relax.

A2 isnt hard but I'm just terrible with remembering long quotes so I need to put in the extra time to remember them :P
Original post by echeee

I haven't left it late exactly as I've been doing an hour a day since christmas, I just don't feel it's enough and had to up the amount I did. But I guess i'll try and relax.

A2 isnt hard but I'm just terrible with remembering long quotes so I need to put in the extra time to remember them :P

Woah, seriously? Since Christmas?! Why are you worrying?! :confused: You'll be fine! Oh, on second hand, if you have to learn the quotes... wow, I completely take that back!! Sorry :biggrin:

Yeah well, don't worry as much as you seem to be. Seriously. I have 4 AS science units I have to revise in 3 weeks and I haven't even started :tongue:

Also, would you recommend I carry on with Eng Lit next year? Do you find it a lot harder than this year?
Reply 11
Woah, seriously? Since Christmas?! Why are you worrying?! :confused: You'll be fine! Oh, on second hand, if you have to learn the quotes... wow, I completely take that back!! Sorry :biggrin:

Yeah well, don't worry as much as you seem to be. Seriously. I have 4 AS science units I have to revise in 3 weeks and I haven't even started :tongue:

Also, would you recommend I carry on with Eng Lit next year? Do you find it a lot harder than this year?

Depends on what you want to do in the future/at uni and what subjects you already do, and obviously level of difficulty is subjective.

I'm in Wales so I'm not sure what the modules anywhere else are like, it's a hard exam (apparently) but thats because you aren't allowed the texts into the exam so you have to learn a fair number of quotes from three different texts, which again depends on how good you are at that sort of thing :P
Reply 12
All I seem to do is go over the same topic over and over because I am so worried, I would be 2 maybe 3 topics ahead if I did less of the above.
Original post by echeee
Depends on what you want to do in the future/at uni and what subjects you already do, and obviously level of difficulty is subjective.

I'm in Wales so I'm not sure what the modules anywhere else are like, it's a hard exam (apparently) but thats because you aren't allowed the texts into the exam so you have to learn a fair number of quotes from three different texts, which again depends on how good you are at that sort of thing :P

Okay, thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

Just one question... how on earth do you know what quotes to remember? I mean, you don't know what the questions are going to be before the exam, so do you just learn by heart a bunch of random quotes and hope they have something to do with the exam questions? I'm so confused :s-smilie:

Also, what exam board are you doing? Since you're from Wales, I'm assuming WJEC, right? Because I'm AQA... (hoping you're AQA too?) :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by cdoyle
All I seem to do is go over the same topic over and over because I am so worried, I would be 2 maybe 3 topics ahead if I did less of the above.

Why don't you do less of that one topic then? Focus on the ones you don't know so much about? :smile:

Okay, thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

Just one question... how on earth do you know what quotes to remember? I mean, you don't know what the questions are going to be before the exam, so do you just learn by heart a bunch of random quotes and hope they have something to do with the exam questions? I'm so confused :s-smilie:

Also, what exam board are you doing? Since you're from Wales, I'm assuming WJEC, right? Because I'm AQA... (hoping you're AQA too?) :colondollar:

Your teacher should tell or suggest to you when there is an important quote to learn, and you can usualy tell with certain ones, like if there is a big speach or a climax in a story.

I'm not AQA no haha, I'm WJEC. I can't imagain the exam styles being too different, probably just different texts. :smile:
Just think about this - 90% of the things you worry about never happen. That's a real fact and if you apply it to worries you're having it actually works! Obviously, your exams will still happen yet, you'll likely be able to get into Uni one way or another if it's meant to be. Just knuckle down and try to soak up everything you read. Make good notes and learn off mark schemes, exam technique is a big part to success. You DO have enough time. Think about all the nights you have and weekends are really crucial. Do 5-11 on Friday nights like the rest of the week and also, most of Saturday morning - When your mind is fresh. Also, Saturday evening or afternoon for a good few hours but make sure you give yourself a break. Stop every twenty minutes. It's scientifically proven that your mind starts to wonder after sitting in the same place and focussing hard for twenty minutes. Also note, that it's not the QUANTITY of revision you do, but the QUALITY of the stuff you learn. if you started ages ago, you'd have forgotten heaps of it. Good luck and I hope all goes well ! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by echeee

Why are you attempting to memorise long quotes?! I'm doing A2 Eng lit and I'm just memorising as many short quotes as possible. That way, you can weave the quotes in to suit the question giving the examiner the impression you're familiar with AO2. The examiners mostly skim (been told) so short concise quotes will get you the mark.
Reply 17
Original post by Reform
Why are you attempting to memorise long quotes?! I'm doing A2 Eng lit and I'm just memorising as many short quotes as possible. That way, you can weave the quotes in to suit the question giving the examiner the impression you're familiar with AO2. The examiners mostly skim (been told) so short concise quotes will get you the mark.

Not all are long, but most of the important ones are, especially in The Wife of Bath.
Reply 18
Original post by ScienceConfusion
Just think about this - 90% of the things you worry about never happen. That's a real fact and if you apply it to worries you're having it actually works! Obviously, your exams will still happen yet, you'll likely be able to get into Uni one way or another if it's meant to be. Just knuckle down and try to soak up everything you read. Make good notes and learn off mark schemes, exam technique is a big part to success. You DO have enough time. Think about all the nights you have and weekends are really crucial. Do 5-11 on Friday nights like the rest of the week and also, most of Saturday morning - When your mind is fresh. Also, Saturday evening or afternoon for a good few hours but make sure you give yourself a break. Stop every twenty minutes. It's scientifically proven that your mind starts to wonder after sitting in the same place and focussing hard for twenty minutes. Also note, that it's not the QUANTITY of revision you do, but the QUALITY of the stuff you learn. if you started ages ago, you'd have forgotten heaps of it. Good luck and I hope all goes well ! :smile:

Thanks, this reassuring. :redface: :tongue:
you're meant to do about three hours a day. 6 is just ridiculous. don't try to work for more than 45 minutes straight and maybe go for a walk or something to release some endorphins to battle the adrenalin. I get very stressed, but I find running helps. Don't just read though, do some active learning, that maybe involves writing or reciting, depending on how your brain works. spider diagrammes help some people, personally i hate them though.. Some people can visualise them in there heads, which I imagine is quite handy! If you weren't stressing about it, you probably wouldn't do as much about it, but I think you need to try and reduce your stress levels a bit... I've heard that your diet can affect how stressed you can get. I'm sure you'll be fine, you're working hard and that's how to get results, but try not to over do it or you'll frazzle your brain. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending