The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9600
Original post by jilebinator

But I do think Mertesacker has played a big part in our defense, He has probably taught a lot of the players how to defend.

Great point - his experience will only improve the standard of our defending.
Original post by marcusmerehay
It's reminiscent of that Paddy Kenny clearance a few years back, when he was still at Sheffield United:

My favorite.
QPR 1-0 tottenham!!!! Taarab scored a soft freekick :rofl:
So much football today :coma:

Watching the Borrusia Dortmund game, a draw would see them win the title with a few games to go, and of course, El Classico later :daydreaming:
Reply 9604
Original post by marcusmerehay
Koscielny has played in a friendly vs the USA.

Odd to think that out of Koscielny, Cabaye and Ben Arfa, two of them are likely to miss out. Insane.

Why would they miss out? Surely Koscielny would play alongside Rami in defence as he's a better defender than Mexes and Cabaye would play alongside M'Vila in midfield. Ben Arfa has been better than Nasri this season, so if anything HBA should be on the plane instead of Nasri.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Why would they miss out? Surely Koscielny would play alongside Rami in defence as he's a better defender than Mexes and Cabaye would play alongside M'Vila in midfield. Ben Arfa has been better than Nasri this season, so if anything HBA should be on the plane instead of Nasri.

Because Blanc has been very strict with his team selections so far in friendlies.

Cabaye made it into the last squad, but Koscielny only has 1 cap and Ben Arfa (who has earnt 2 caps since 07/08) is against not only Nasri, but the likes of Valbuena, Martin and (on the wing) Payet and Amalfitano.
Reply 9607
Ben Arfa definitely oesn't stand a chance. Kos might go but don't see him starting bar some injuries.
Original post by jilebinator
Koscienly is our best defender. Vermalean provides more of an attack up front, but looking on pure defence Kosc wins.

Which is why I trust Wenger's judgement. He can make players amazing.

But I do think Mertesacker has played a big part in our defense, He has probably taught a lot of the players how to defend.

Don't get it twisted, despite his admittedly below par season, Verminator's still our best defender by some distance. Kosh's excellent pace allows him to make up for some of his more glaring lapses in defense, but Verma's essentially still our best defender, and an attacking threat to boot.

In regards to the last point, I think you're just trying to find a positive for ''Merdesack'' being here, when in fact, any attempt to do so is futile! I don't see what Mertesacker could possibly teach the likes of Vermaelen or Koscielny, who are both far better equipped to play at this level.
(edited 11 years ago)
QPR 1 - 0 Tottenham FULL TIME Spurs has lost it:rofl:
Reply 9610
Newcastle 3 points behind with a game in hand...

:shh:

Mmmm...:coma:
Reply 9612

The Geordies are coming...

Spoiler

Original post by Ladotelli
Don't get it twisted, despite his admittedly below par season, Verminator's still our best defender by some distance. Kosh's excellent pace allows him to make up for some of his more glaring lapses in defense, but Verma's essentially still our best defender, and an attacking threat to boot.

In regards to the last point, I think you're just trying to find a positive for ''Merdesack'' being here, when in fact, any attempt to do so is futile! I don't see what Mertesacker could possibly teach the likes of Vermaelen or Koscielny, who are both far better equipped to play at this level.

Kosc has become one of the best defenders in the league, consistent, his stats do not lie. Kosc has been our best defender this season, apart from his knack of scoring own goals he hasn't made any mistakes. Vermalean has.

The biggest downfall of our defenders play is clearing the ball. Vermalean, kosc and sagna can not boot the ball away or header it away a decent distance. They can run the ball out only.

Mertesacker can hoof the ball to the halfway line with ease. which is a great attribute to have, it wastes time and gives our defence a chance to recoup.

Our defence has notably got better this season even though the same people are playing, it has to be down to someone.

edit: I'm on my phone so sorry for my poor grammar.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TM94
Newcastle 3 points behind with a game in hand...

:shh:

They also have one of the harder fixtures to come :tongue: I'll happy with Newcastle in the Champions League if Arsenal stays 3rd :wink:
Newcastle have the hardest games left, they will drop points. If spurs keep tripping up third will be ours.

We need to stop being pathetic, and win our last three games with a decent GD.
Reply 9616
Original post by MuffinMonster
They also have one of the harder fixtures to come :tongue: I'll happy with Newcastle in the Champions League if Arsenal stays 3rd :wink:

Third is probably beyond our reach :ninja:

Would soil myself if we got Champions League to be honest. :dice:
Reply 9617
Original post by TM94

Newcastle deserve it the most out of everyone fighting for a CL place - it would be refreshing to see them finishing fourth (as long as arsenal finish 3rd :wink:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TM94

You can probably lose one game at most IF Chelsea wins all their games (which is a little bit unlikely). Tottenham has gone to ground they're likely to lose one or two more matches.

I don't know how Arsenal will perform with all these injuries.
Original post by TM94

Our GD is quite nice in comparison to yours. However, we got Stoke to come and that's our hardest fixture of the season.

May the best team get 3rd.