The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azwozzle
Hello,

I'm doing my presentation next Friday but I will be doing the rehearsal probably on Monday.

What do I need to include? The supervisor has been very vague in what I have to talk about.

Also, what sort of questions should I expect to be asked?

Thanks

What to do: (copied from earlier in the thread)

What you did (Title)
Why you chose it/subjects related to
An overview of the research you did and putting concisely what you learnt-USE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE, and explain it. For example, I did film, I used the term ECU, which I then explained in its context.
A conclusion (if there is one)
What you would do differently/success? Failure? What you learnt.
Time for questions, which you should answer in depth, using knowledge learned.

If you type in EPQ presentation into google, there should be a pdf file that might to say what sort of thing. I've done 2 EPQ's

In terms of questions-it's purely dependent on what you did. But you should have done enough research to answer them effectively. Good luck!
Reply 2701
Original post by FallenMan
What to do: (copied from earlier in the thread)

What you did (Title)
Why you chose it/subjects related to
An overview of the research you did and putting concisely what you learnt-USE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE, and explain it. For example, I did film, I used the term ECU, which I then explained in its context.
A conclusion (if there is one)
What you would do differently/success? Failure? What you learnt.
Time for questions, which you should answer in depth, using knowledge learned.

If you type in EPQ presentation into google, there should be a pdf file that might to say what sort of thing. I've done 2 EPQ's

In terms of questions-it's purely dependent on what you did. But you should have done enough research to answer them effectively. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I found an example presentation online but it was only the slides, not the notes, so apart from the beginning, I had no idea what I had to say.

Wow, 2 EPQs? How come you did that?

Wow, 2 EPQs? How come you did that?

It's alright, I wish I had had some help when I first did it!

The first one I did was because I dropped my 4th A Level (History is not my friend), the second time I did one was because in our college we HAD to do an extra thing if we were doing 3 A Levels, so I just thought "meh, done it once, I'll do it again!"
Reply 2703
Original post by FallenMan
It's alright, I wish I had had some help when I first did it!

The first one I did was because I dropped my 4th A Level (History is not my friend), the second time I did one was because in our college we HAD to do an extra thing if we were doing 3 A Levels, so I just thought "meh, done it once, I'll do it again!"

Oh, I see. In our school, we had to drop an A Level after AS. At least it would have been easier second time around :P What were they about?
Oh, I see. In our school, we had to drop an A Level after AS. At least it would have been easier second time around :P What were they about?

How strange that you had to drop one...What's your EPQ on?

My first one was "How has the horror movie genre adapted from 1931-present day", chose a small selection of films and basically spoke of camera angles/effects and audience reactions. Got a B for that.

The one I've just done was a short film, but my original film was lost :frown: so I had to make and edit a new one-with a new idea-in the space of about 2 weeks. In my presentation I linked to the youtube page, so I spoke about advertisements and such, so in both I learnt a lot of very different things, and I obviously love film!
(edited 11 years ago)
My epq is complete yayyy <3
Original post by ninegrandstudent

1. Is there a minimum number of people required to attend the presentation?
At the moment I'll be lucky if three attend mine as the only time I could book the equipment was after school :frown:

Yes, you need your supervisor and another tutor to make sure that you supervisor's marks are accurate and that's the bare minimum. You can bring friends, and whoever else. I'm bringing my close friend who is also doing EPQ, as she will actually be able to relate to the presentation.
Original post by racheatworld
Yes, you need your supervisor and another tutor to make sure that you supervisor's marks are accurate and that's the bare minimum. You can bring friends, and whoever else. I'm bringing my close friend who is also doing EPQ, as she will actually be able to relate to the presentation.

You don't necessarily need another tutor - I had just my supervisor then my friends.
Original post by Natalie21
You don't necessarily need another tutor - I had just my supervisor then my friends.

We were told that we did. :dontknow:
Reply 2709
Anyone got any ideas relating to Blood Brothers (Nature vs. Nurture, Surrogate Parenthood, Superstition, Devil - Narrator etc....) Or Titanic.... Or a nice trad ethics one?!

Any ideas helpful!

Cxx
Reply 2710
Almost finished my EPQ! On 4600 words and I think it'll probably be maybe another 1000-2000 words. Hopefully I'll finish it in the next couple of days :smile: Does anyone know what date the presentation is or is decided by school?
Original post by Chris_1
Anyone got any ideas relating to Blood Brothers (Nature vs. Nurture, Surrogate Parenthood, Superstition, Devil - Narrator etc....) Or Titanic.... Or a nice trad ethics one?!

Any ideas helpful!

Cxx

I love Blood Brothers! I saw it a week ago in London's West End! A good one for Blood Brothers may be to look at how the class system affects the life chances of those who live in this country. You could look at the different opportunities Eddie and Mickey have when they are children, and then again as they grow older. You could use Blood Brothers as a basis for this and then could also get some statistics from other sources. This would be quite an original topic.
Original post by lucymcgonigle
So, I've noticed a lot of peolpe are doing the EPQ, I was just wondering do you get offered to it if you're smart enough? Do you ask to do it? what grades do you need to do it? errrrm, if anyone's done it before, what did you do yours on?

A lot of questions but it just sounds interesting

For ours we were approached my senior staff asking if we wanted to do it because we were 'more able' than others in our academic year, and we're doing out of school ours at level three (we're still in Yr10.) It's now being offered as an option for the curretn Yr9's GCSE's and they can take it as a level 2 or 3.
In 6th Forms, my freinds could chose it as an options as part of the AQA baccalaureate. So depending on where abouts you are in the academic system, and what your school/ future schools offer thats about it. I hope that helps!:tongue:

I'm doing mine on how different generations perceive Bipolar Illness, and my friend is doing it on how video games affect young people and how much is the video game industy going to develop in the next 10years. We were told that we should do it on something that we enjoy and that we will have something to talk about including our personal opions and giving us the option to conduct our own research. :smile:
Reply 2713
Hi. I am not sure whether I should do EPQ. I want to focus on my subjects but believe that it will boost my UCAS application if I do do it.

However, the problem is I don't know what I would write about and the fact that I would have to do a lot for it (HUGE project from what I perceive). I do want to concentrate on my subjects (maths, f. maths, physics and chemistry which I hope to carry on next year) so I don't know whether unis would still prefer if I did it even though I take relatively hard subjects. :confused:

Advice is appreciated, thanks. :smile:
The EPQ is a lot of work. I think people underestimate how much time it'll truly take up - I know I did. In the end, it ends up as a couple of sentences (at most) on your personal statement.

I'm not saying don't do it, because it's actually quite enjoyable doing independent research on a topic you've actually chosen, but it shouldn't get to the point where your actual grades suffer. At a lot of the uni talks I went to, the admissions people said they didn't really look at the EPQ, which seems a massive waste of all those hours put in.

All in all, I don't really feel like it was an efficient allocation of my time, and given the difficulty of your subjects, you might just want to focus on them.

Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2715
QUESTION ON AQA BACC DIARY

Do you have to write something in for every post on the AQA Bacc diary? I have left loads of blanks and just entered hours for things like my piano, guitar and driving lessons as they don't vary enough to be an interesting read every week! What have people done? Please reply quick as the diary ends on 26th April!
Extra sheets?

I handed in my final EPQ papers yesterday, but my teacher said something about the worksheets we had done at the beginning? :s-smilie:
I thought they were just to make us think a little bit and introduce a few new terms to us, like critical thinking, but he says we need them in with our final report.
Problem is I've lost them! :no:
Do you think this is important? D: I assumed it was just one of those teacher timefilling things.
Okay guys, really important question.

I made a huge mistake when picking my topic, and unknowingly picked a huge one. My supervisor and centre coordinator agreed it was narrow enough, but on research it was hugely complex. As a result my report is now ridiculously long, and I've been told I have to cut it down but a lot.

The only thing I can think of (imho I think all of it is pretty relevant to the question, or at least for whole understanding of the topic) is moving some parts into appendices.
Doing this, I've gotten rid of maybe 8,000 words (assuming they're not counted). I'm still well, well over, but obviously its better. Would this work, or would they still be counted? :s-smilie:
Okay so I'm preparing my presentation for tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm meant to include, how long it needs to be, do I have have to talk a lot about my research or is it more about what I did well/didn't do well? Do I just refer to the same conclusion I have done in my report or is it more about concluding if the project was a success etc?
Someone please give me advice on what to put in my powerpoint :frown:

I'm scared about public speaking as well even though there won't be many people there.
Original post by L.O.V.E
Okay so I'm preparing my presentation for tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm meant to include, how long it needs to be, do I have have to talk a lot about my research or is it more about what I did well/didn't do well? Do I just refer to the same conclusion I have done in my report or is it more about concluding if the project was a success etc?
Someone please give me advice on what to put in my powerpoint :frown:

I'm scared about public speaking as well even though there won't be many people there.

Aim for around 10-15 minutes, its plenty doable, something to do with the fact you have to talk rreeaaallllyyy ssslllloooowwwwllllyyy :colondollar:
For your powerpoint, I would simply divide it into some sections, and talk about each.
-You may want to begin by briefly going over what the EPQ is if not many people do it at your school/college
-Then talk about what your presentation is about and why you chose it
-Talk about what you initially did, e.g planning and research
-Then quickly go over your main findings, maybe pull out a few interesting facts and figures for your powerpoint, you don't want your slides to be too full!
-Tell them what your conclusion to your question was
-Finish by talking about your opinion of the EPQ, what you've learnt ect...
-Then ask if they have any questions :colone:

Main thing is to be calm and let it come naturally don't glue yourself to a script or read off the board constantly as it sounds boring and is no fun for anyone. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending