The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

biology, chemistry, physics and one non science subject that really depends on my results, at the minute it looks as if its going to be philosophy and ethics.

.....As you can tell I'm really not much of a science kind of person :wink:
Original post by GreenLantern1
A lot of people who don't even care for maths or aren't good at it seem to just take it just because it's maths. Good thing that the other 'core' subject English isn't taken so often- I think we know which is the better one.

Sorry, but are you insinuating English isn't a core subject? Yet, without English, you wouldn't be able to express your views thoroughly, and even be able to speak in proper, coherent sentences.
Original post by merrrrr
Sorry, but are you insinuating English isn't a core subject? Yet, without English, you wouldn't be able to express your views thoroughly, and even be able to speak in proper, coherent sentences.

That is not what I am insinuating at all mate! You have got the wrong end of the stick I'm afraid:colondollar:.

What I meant by the inverted commas is that even though it is a core subject (which it obviously is) it isn't taken at A-Level frequently.

And to be fair what you have said that English allows can be done by everyone in my school by at the very latest Year 9. I don't know about other schools but from what I have seen it doesn't take even a GCSE to do that - never mind an A-Level.
That is not what I am insinuating at all mate! You have got the wrong end of the stick I'm afraid:colondollar:.

What I meant by the inverted commas is that even though it is a core subject (which it obviously is) it isn't taken at A-Level frequently.

And to be fair what you have said that English allows can be done by everyone in my school by at the very latest Year 9. I don't know about other schools but from what I have seen it doesn't take even a GCSE to do that - never mind an A-Level.

Apologies then! Surely you can argue that point about many subjects though, take maths for example, at KS3 level I knew pretty much all I need to know in later life, since I do not intend to have a career directly related to maths (I plan to go into law), therefore I'm pretty sure I will not need to know about circle theorems and surds.
Original post by merrrrr
Apologies then! Surely you can argue that point about many subjects though, take maths for example, at KS3 level I knew pretty much all I need to know in later life, since I do not intend to have a career directly related to maths (I plan to go into law), therefore I'm pretty sure I will not need to know about circle theorems and surds.

Fair enough. But, in terms of a hell of a lot of careers much more higher level maths (talking graduate level here) is needed for many real life applications; much more so than higher level English; though obviously it is helpful for Law.
English literature, History, Maths, Government & Politics and World Development :smile:
Fair enough. But, in terms of a hell of a lot of careers much more higher level maths (talking graduate level here) is needed for many real life applications; much more so than higher level English; though obviously it is helpful for Law.

I think it entirely depends what career sector you want to go into, but that's my opinion :smile:
Reply 1067
french, chinese, history and geograhy/italian/german
love my languages:smile:
Original post by Kimiechi
There seems to be loads of people doing sciences on here :frown: any arts/humanities potential a-levelers out there?? I'm doing:

History
French
English Lit
Maths
English Lang

Yeah! I was planning on taking;

English (combined Lit and Lang)
Religious Studies
Biology
Psychology

But I'm not 100% sure on psychology now :/ I love it though!!
Original post by Mazzini
Which type of History are you doing? Early Modern or Late Modern?

I'm gonna be doing Latin and Music too - doing Greek GCSE this summer but it's SO boring.

Early Modern - as it covers some of my favourite periods of history.
Reply 1070
Im thinking of taking Maths, History, Religious Studies/Philosophy and Ethics(depending on whether they even teach it at my school) and something else - i want to be a lawyer - but i do not want to take english lang/lit
Reply 1071
I've chosen :

Maths,chemistry,and biology.
im doing philosophy, history, english lit, and classics for a level, hoping to go into law
Reply 1073
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
biology, chemistry, physics and one non science subject that really depends on my results, at the minute it looks as if its going to be philosophy and ethics.

.....As you can tell I'm really not much of a science kind of person :wink:

Good for you, I would have chosen the Philosophy and Ethics course if it hadn't cut out medicine.. :frown:
Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
I'm taking English language, English literature, psychology, photography and law.

I seem to be a bit of an anomaly, no maths or science :eek:

English Lit, History, Textiles and Photography...

(with self-teaching Physics XD)
English literature, Music, Philosophy and ethics, Physics:smile:
Original post by Spencer1995
English literature, Music, Philosophy and ethics, Physics:smile:

What a strange combination-all 4 subjects seem completely different.What do you want to study at University?
Original post by Dalek1099
What a strange combination-all 4 subjects seem completely different.What do you want to study at University?

English Literature and Philosphy and Ethics are pretty similar.!!!!
English Literature and Philosphy and Ethics are pretty similar.!!!!

They aren't that simkilar because Phiosophy and Ethics is like RE and Re and English Literature aren't that close except the fact that they both rely on essays.

Quick Reply

Latest