The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukebert
So tempted to giving up right now. The last week has been unpleasant and Tuesday week never seemed so far away. In danger of failing my masters. Don't want to be here.

Just a few weeks left now! You can do it. I'm sorry its such an awful experience :frown:
So I'm still awake and working...can't wait to graduate!

Are we going to have a Tripos Exam Stress thread like last year?
Original post by Crazy_emz

Good point!
I'll let Zoe do it though.
Original post by Craghyrax
Good point!
I'll let Zoe do it though.

Great :smile: (I was going to tag Zoe, but then I realised that this wasn't Facebook...hopefully she'll see it anyway!). I'm already stressed about exams and don't want to annoy people on here too much :s-smilie:
Great :smile: (I was going to tag Zoe, but then I realised that this wasn't Facebook...hopefully she'll see it anyway!). I'm already stressed about exams and don't want to annoy people on here too much :s-smilie:

Pretty sure you haven't :console: But the thread is a good idea for sure!

Sorry everyone's having such a stressy time.

I can sort of relate because I'm trying to "transfer up" this June. Most PhD students in my department do it in September or in the second year, but I want it out of the way before my wedding. It involves submitting a sample first chapter to the PhD, and writing a clear research project outline with chapter headings and predictions about your argument/methods/sources etc.
Then you basically have a viva on it and they decide whether you get to be a real PhD student :s-smilie:
I'm supposed to finish the rough draft of the sample chapter on Tuesday but its not been going that well :s-smilie:
Pretty sure you haven't :console: But the thread is a good idea for sure!

Sorry everyone's having such a stressy time.

I can sort of relate because I'm trying to "transfer up" this June. Most PhD students in my department do it in September or in the second year, but I want it out of the way before my wedding. It involves submitting a sample first chapter to the PhD, and writing a clear research project outline with chapter headings and predictions about your argument/methods/sources etc.
Then you basically have a viva on it and they decide whether you get to be a real PhD student :s-smilie:
I'm supposed to finish the rough draft of the sample chapter on Tuesday but its not been going that well :s-smilie:

Oooh, when are you getting married? Congratulations! Transferring up sounds scary but just think how good you'll feel when it's over and you can go and get married and go on honeymoon :smile: So exciting! (I keep having random wedding and baby daydreams :smile: )

I'm STILL trying to write my Long Essay. I've got half of it done, but was hoping to finish the draft tonight, as it's due in a week...oh dear. And I need to start revising for my lit exam.
Oooh, when are you getting married? Congratulations! Transferring up sounds scary but just think how good you'll feel when it's over and you can go and get married and go on honeymoon :smile: So exciting! (I keep having random wedding and baby daydreams :smile: )

August, Peterhouse :smile:
Can't relate on the baby dreams though. I'm currently really uncertain as to whether I want kids at all. Every other female friend my age has experienced broodiness at some point in their lives. I'm like 'what's that'. And I find most kids really annoying. I'm kind of hoping that biology will click in somewhen :hmmmm:

I'm STILL trying to write my Long Essay. I've got half of it done, but was hoping to finish the draft tonight, as it's due in a week...oh dear. And I need to start revising for my lit exam.

:console: Story of my life. Good luck.
Today is my 8th TSR birthday. :eek:

This thread has also been going for over 8 years now...

Edit I know my Join Date says Sept 07 but this is my second account.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7948
Original post by Tortious
PRSOM. :love:

Where have you been? I haven't seen you on here in ages!

Yes. I shall make it now. I was waiting for someone to ask because I didn't want to indicate by making it that everyone must now feel stressed and talk about how stressed they are, but I think now is a good idea.

Et voila: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1979949&p=37257206#post37257206

Now to go and complain to my tutor about my lack of cooking facilities. The 650W wind up microwave and toaster with slots so thin it is impossible to toast a crumpet have finally broken me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ukebert
So tempted to giving up right now. The last week has been unpleasant and Tuesday week never seemed so far away. In danger of failing my masters. Don't want to be here.

Lol, we should have gone geography!
Original post by Zoedotdot
Where have you been? I haven't seen you on here in ages!

I've been on holiday for most of the vac, but I've also been lurking. I've got too much to do to spend a lot of time on TSR - I've got a mock tomorrow that I forgot about. :sad:
Reply 7951
I've been on holiday for most of the vac, but I've also been lurking. I've got too much to do to spend a lot of time on TSR - I've got a mock tomorrow that I forgot about. :sad:

Dislike. I also have too much to do to spend time on TSR, but clearly you are the sensible one :p: Hope the mock isn't too painful! Was your holiday good at least? :smile:
It might seem far away now but you are so nearly there. You haven't wanted to be here for the majority of the past four years but you have stuck with it at every turn and you owe it to yourself to see it through to the end. I know what it feels like to have no motivation going into the last stretch - really, I do - but I categorically refuse to allow you to give up (and obviously my refusal is key here). In a few weeks the whole experience will be over, you'll have your degree, which you will get with or without the masters, and it won't matter anymore and you will be free to throw yourself out into the waters of the world and not do any of this **** anymore. Just try to do enough to get through the masters because, as I said, I really think you owe it to yourself to do it. It's going to feel great when it's all finally over.

You can do it. I know how it feels to really hate Cambridge and wonder why on earth you're here, and I just wanted to say that I think it's great the way you've kept on going and not quit (I've been tempted to many, many times). And, whatever your result in the exams, you're very very close to leaving Cambridge and being able to do something that will make you happier and then Cambridge won't even matter anymore. :hugs: and best of luck for the exams.

Just a few weeks left now! You can do it. I'm sorry its such an awful experience :frown:

Thank you so much, you are all lovely :love: Had some good news today which has cheered me up a bit - playing solo in Shepley Folk Festival as well as playing with another band that I'm in. Which is nice.

Mocks don't matter. :nah: I once did one after a night out at (what used to be called) Soul Tree. Wasn't in the best of conditions in the morning and got a 2.2/3rd. :redface:
Original post by ukebert
Thank you so much, you are all lovely :love: Had some good news today which has cheered me up a bit - playing solo in Shepley Folk Festival as well as playing with another band that I'm in. Which is nice.

Congrats! So much to look forward to.
Original post by ukebert

Great news!

Like others I continue to be impressed with your determination to stick out the 4 years of your course. The end is in sight, keep going! :hugs:
Now to go and complain to my tutor about my lack of cooking facilities. The 650W wind up microwave and toaster with slots so thin it is impossible to toast a crumpet have finally broken me.

Do you not even get a grill combi-micro? :/ Please tell me PT have hobs at the very least (if you know?). Pleeeeeeeease! Lentil soup is going to take my house by storm next year. And an overdose of onions, again. This year is the year I've learnt to cook. and bake. But I know baking is out for next year again.
Reply 7957
Original post by Canned Door
Do you not even get a grill combi-micro? :/ Please tell me PT have hobs at the very least (if you know?). Pleeeeeeeease! Lentil soup is going to take my house by storm next year. And an overdose of onions, again. This year is the year I've learnt to cook. and bake. But I know baking is out for next year again.

No. I literally just have a microwave so I basically can't cook anything. Luckily my tutor was super nice about it. It's not going to be changed for me because there probably isn't time to convince the bursar, but she's going to push for it to be changed for next year's people.

Depends on the PT house. All of the ones I've been in have had hobs - that's 3, 6 and 12 I think. But I know they've gone on a spree of taking the hobs away recently. They tried to take the one from 12 away last term but luckily AD (linguist) was there and she talked them into leaving it, but it required them to build a new shelf or something to fit with the health and safety guidelines. 3 definitely still has a hob (but no combi oven), and 6 had both but I don't know if it still does.

The best is 2 Warkworth Street, where all my friends live. It's fourth year accommodation so befriend all of the engineers and mathmos very quickly! They have two kitchens, one with a REAL oven and four hobs and the other with a combi oven AND a microwave ANNNND a freezer. It's the best ever. And right next to my boyfriend's room so I've been eating ice cream all year :biggrin:
College accommodation is so mental :hmpf:
I don't understand why they're so anal about it. Or why students couldn't just group together and force them to give us ordinary facilities like students in other Universities get.
College accommodation is so mental :hmpf:
I don't understand why they're so anal about it. Or why students couldn't just group together and force them to give us ordinary facilities like students in other Universities get.

In regards to the limited cooking facilities, they have the standard excuse that they want everyone to eat in hall to "foster a community spirit across the college" (or something to that sentiment).