The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by y.yousef
Gosh you ask something on here, and you get slated. :dry:

For God's sake, grow a back bone! I would have thought being a Turkish-Italian woman, you would have had skin made of steel. You know, with the combination of Turkish iron and Italian carbon.

y.yousef
I genuinely didn't know...like is that seriously a problem..I'm wanting to know more about my Turkish heritage,....ahh pissed off I am.

If there's anything you want to know, then you're welcome to ask. But I would have thought that the Turkish Cypriot flag would have been as easy to recognise as the moon in the sky.

minniiee
you appeared to assume that the flag was the turkish flag just because there was a crescent moon and star...

I believe the crescent (and the star) are symbols used by a multitude of peoples including the Turks, Greeks, Mughals and even as far back as the Sassanids.

Byzantine coin

Sassanid coin

y.yousef
crescnt moon and star is also a pakistani flag..now wat? is that turkish as well.donw goes your theory.

She never said the crescent and star were synonymous with the Turks. If we were to have a look at the modern day spread of the so-called Turkic peoples, it would look like this (with their respective flags):

y.yousef
something that might be obvious to me i.e. names famous artists, may not be as obvious to you

I think being geographically and culturally aware is just a little bit more important than knowing the latest 'celeb news', don't you think? :curious:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RamocitoMorales
For God's sake, grow a back bone! I would have thought being a Turkish-Italian woman, you would have had skin made of steel. You know, with the combination of Turkish iron and Italian carbon.

If there's anything you want to know, then you're welcome to ask. But I would have thought that the Turkish Cypriot flag would have been as easy to recognise as the moon in the sky.

I believe the crescent (and the star) are symbols used by a multitude of peoples including the Turks, Greeks, Mughals and even as far back as the Sassanids.

Byzantine coin

Sassanid coin

She never said the crescent and star were synonymous with the Turks. If we were to have a look at the modern day spread of the so-called Turkic peoples, it would look like this (with their respective flags):

I think being geographically and culturally aware is just a little bit more important than knowing the latest 'celeb news', don't you think? :curious:

i too thought that a flag would be resonably obvious... especially a european one...
although i'll admit i have not previously come across sassanids and i am now googling...
(edited 12 years ago)
x

look at the end of the day mate, i dont go to rich private schools like you lot. and i aint naturally clever. but yeah no need to take the piss init.

i knew it were 'turkish related'..its just i've never seen one like dat b4.

You lot just expect me to know stuff..and it's pissin me off, that i'm getting mocked at asking sumfin...

..rich people :dry:
look at the end of the day mate, i dont go to rich private schools like you lot. and i aint naturally clever. but yeah no need to take the piss init.

i knew it were 'turkish related'..its just i've never seen one like dat b4.

You lot just expect me to know stuff..and it's pissin me off, that i'm getting mocked at asking sumfin...

..rich people :dry:

which of us has ever mentioned our family incomes our schooling?
if you must know i (unfortunately) had to appeal to the government to get into any secondary school and as a result i (unfortunately) went to one of the schools that has recently appeared on educating essex.
i waited on a waiting list for two and a half years and got into a better school thanks to patience.. not my family income.
when have i ever said i went to a "rich private school"?
when has anyone ever said that?
you can't blame every mistake you make in your life on "rich people"
Original post by minniiee
i too thought that a flag would be resonably obvious... especially a european one...

Cyprus isn't in Europe. :erm:

y.yousef
look at the end of the day mate, i dont go to rich private schools like you lot.

I went to a comprehensive boy's school.

y.yousef
..rich people

What makes you think I'm rich? I'm about as 'scummy' as they come on TSR. My parents are both immigrants. Both born in very rural villages of Sivas and Paphos/Baf. The former also spent much of their time growing up in the 'slum' part of Istanbul, Kağıthane. I was born into this country, a second generation immigrant, and grew up in 'inner-city' South London. I am nothing like the vast majority of students who come from 'the middle of nowhere'/Emmerdale and venture outside of their cradle for the first time when they go off to 'uni'. Do not group me with them!

y.yousef
and i aint naturally clever. but yeah no need to take the piss init.

I don't believe in terms like 'naturally clever'. You've just accepted your role in society as being beneath others. Quit being such a 'good loser'. It's ironic that you describe yourself as never having come into contact with a Turk before, because when I went to 'Turkish school', all the girls would talk in the manner in which you type. In my mind, I termed them 'ghetto b*tches'. They wouldn't look out of place in Harlem. 99% of Turkish (Cypriot) women in this country seem to be like that, in my experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
which of us has ever mentioned our family incomes our schooling?
if you must know i (unfortunately) had to appeal to the government to get into any secondary school and as a result i (unfortunately) went to one of the schools that has recently appeared on educating essex.
i waited on a waiting list for two and a half years and got into a better school thanks to patience.. not my family income.
when have i ever said i went to a "rich private school"?
when has anyone ever said that?
you can't blame every mistake you make in your life on "rich people"

Well why do you parrin me for not being knowledgable in a certain area, i dont like that init.

my school..was a lower ranking than 'educating essex', i checked.
difference is..i had no choice to leave.
family income leads to a better life, and shapes ones morals.
So yeah at the end of the day, you did go to a better school, i didn't.
and it aint even about that.
when sum1 akses u sumert yeah, u shudnt be all like 'ohh hwo dont u know that, are u dum' u shud explain nicely..just shows wat kinda person u are.

when ppl say to me 'how cum ur turkish and italian bla di bla'....i used to get sooo pissed off...i actually punched a girl for asking me that one time.
but then later on in life i learnt, that not everyone understand things that others mya understand, it's our job to explian to them something, unles they're just being ***** and asking.
What makes you think I'm rich? I'm about as 'scummy' as they come on TSR. My parents are both immigrants. Both born in very rural villages of Sivas and Paphos/Baf. The former also spent much of their time growing up in the 'slum' part of Istanbul, Kağıthane. I was born into this country, a second generation immigrant, and grew up in 'inner-city' South London. I am nothing like the vast majority of students who come from 'the middle of nowhere'/Emmerdale and venture outside of their cradle for the first time when they go off to 'uni'. Do not group me with them!

Masha'allah brother. :five:

I don't believe in terms like 'naturally clever'. You've just accepted your role in society as being beneath others. Quit being such a 'good loser'. It's ironic that you describe yourself as never having come into contact with a Turk before, because when I went to 'Turkish school', all the girls would talk in the manner in which you type. In my mind, I termed them 'ghetto b*tches'. They wouldn't look out of place in Harlem. 99% of Turkish (Cypriot) women in this country seem to be like that, in my experience.

What?!!!! how very dare you.
what you bludy saying man, i just talk how i talk init, this is how my ends talk...
in the norf there ain't much turks man, i swerar.
i hang out with Pakis more than anything.
so i know their language more than my own.. :/

wait.....so ur saying......that i sound like other turkish girls???......
that kinda makes me happy you know.....i feel soo turkish.....
i've been called oreo before...forr not knowing stuff about my country :cry2:
Cyprus isn't in Europe. :erm:

this is arguable.
it is generally thought of as a european state

Being an island, Cyprus isn't directly connected to any continent. It's politically part of Europe (Cyprus joined the EU in 2004), but its nearest large land mass is Asia (it's 75km from Turkey) and it's also close to Africa and the middle-east. Most Cypriots would they were Europeans.
Even examining the geology of Cyprus doesn't help much as its on the meeting point between two plates (African and Eurasian).

what ive never understood how these people (and many others) claim to be from a certain place when they've never come into contact with someone from that place before... that would have to make them at least 3rd or 4th generation with only 1 or 2 foreign relatives
hepiniz çok zengin köpekler :mad:

Spoiler

this is arguable.
it is generally thought of as a european state

Yes, the Republic of Cyprus (i.e. the Greek part.) Northern Cyprus is not internationally recognised. But geographically speaking, Cyprus is not in Europe. If that were the case, we may as well consider Asia Minor to be in Europe (it's in Asia.)

y.yousef
what you bludy saying man, i just talk how i talk init, this is how my ends talk...

Where do you live? :curious:
Well why do you parrin me for not being knowledgable in a certain area, i dont like that init.

my school..was a lower ranking than 'educating essex', i checked.
difference is..i had no choice to leave.
family income leads to a better life, and shapes ones morals.
So yeah at the end of the day, you did go to a better school, i didn't.
and it aint even about that.
when sum1 akses u sumert yeah, u shudnt be all like 'ohh hwo dont u know that, are u dum' u shud explain nicely..just shows wat kinda person u are.

when ppl say to me 'how cum ur turkish and italian bla di bla'....i used to get sooo pissed off...i actually punched a girl for asking me that one time.
but then later on in life i learnt, that not everyone understand things that others mya understand, it's our job to explian to them something, unles they're just being ***** and asking.

i didnt understand most of what you said.. but from the bits i did understand:
im not going to play a game of who's school is better than who's. my point is im not some "rich private school" person. i went to a **** school but i made the most of what i was given and worked hard til i got into a decent one. my parents never paid for my schooling. nor did there income have any effect on my schooling options. even if they did it wouldnt matter as myself employed mother earns next to nothing.
i have seen people with lower incomes than my family get into better schools and been brought up with the same morals as someone with lots if not better morals.
money doesnt effect morals in a positive manner.
i never called you "dum"

my family isnt rich
i didnt go to a good school
but made the most of what i had and i bothered learning things in my own time so i didnt have to ask questions that would be deemed stupid and to make up for my rubbish schooling

What?!!!! how very dare you.
i hang out with Pakis more than anything.
so i know their language more than my own.. :/

i live in the north
there are quite a few...
hepiniz çok zengin köpekler :mad:

Spoiler

i still dont get where you're getting rich from
and dogs?

Yes, the Republic of Cyprus (i.e. the Greek part.) Northern Cyprus is not internationally recognised. But geographically speaking, Cyprus is not in Europe. If that were the case, we may as well consider Asia Minor to be in Europe (it's in Asia.)

forgot about it not being interantionally recognised
my bad
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
i still dont get where you're getting rich from
and dogs?

Calm down init, why you getting all spicy with me like vindaloo?
Bradford.

:hahaha:

How terrible. :console:

Spoiler

i didnt understand most of what you said.. but from the bits i did understand:
im not going to play a game of who's school is better than who's. my point is im not some "rich private school" person. i went to a **** school but i made the most of what i was given and worked hard til i got into a decent one. my parents never paid for my schooling. nor did there income have any effect on my schooling options. even if they did it wouldnt matter as myself employed mother earns next to nothing.
i have seen people with lower incomes than my family get into better schools and been brought up with the same morals as someone with lots if not better morals.
money doesnt effect morals in a positive manner.
i never called you "dum"

my family isnt rich
i didnt go to a good school
but made the most of what i had and i bothered learning things in my own time so i didnt have to ask questions that would be deemed stupid and to make up for my rubbish schooling

Our lives are not the same.
Your parents are still paying, because you’re living in a decent household, which decent food.
What is a low income to you? Because I’d say 30k is rich.
Both my parents do not work, and have not been since decades. (not their fault btw)

I am making the most of what I’m doing, that isn’t the point.
But still other variables affect my achievement/potential/grades.
However this is not the point, you dumbed me down for asking a question, which I advice you not to do next time, as well as siding with a mod.
(edited 12 years ago)
:hahaha:

How terrible. :console:

Spoiler

Okay mate :nothing:

Something is only bad, if you make it bad.
If you make best out of the opportunities that you DO have, then everything is fine if ygm.

It's a very collectivist culture, tight-knit. Loads of halal places to eat. Loads of muslims. So it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Only thing I struggled with at the beginning, was early high school, because they have not came across someone of my ethnic origin....
so got into many fights, that spiralled from that. :/

But apart from that, many of the Pakistani's there are really lovely once you meet them, but on the exteriror they seem like...well 'ghetoo bitches', as you mentioned earlier.
You could say the same about me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Something is only bad, if you make it bad.
If you make best out of the opportunities that you DO have, then everything is fine if ygm.

Why not follow your own advice then? All you've done for the past five minutes is complain about your lack of opportunities. :laugh:
Why not follow your own advice then? All you've done for the past five minutes is complain about your lack of opportunities. :laugh:

Cos it's hard.

Look i don't want to talk about this.
Our lives are not the same.
Your parents are still paying, because you’re living in a decent household, which decent food.
What is a low income to you? Because I’d say 30k is rich.
Both my parents do not work, and have not been since decades. (not their fault btw)

I am making the most of what I’m doing, that isn’t the point.
But still other variables affect my achievement/potential/grades.
However this is not the point, you dumbed me down for asking a question, which I advice you not to do next time, as well as siding with a mod.

im not saying we're the same
im telling you not to assume things about people when you have no basis on which to form those assumptions
for all you know i could be sat typing this from a caravan stealing wifi of the idiot that forgot to password protect his network.
my mother earns less than what you consider "rich"
which by the way is not rich
it is the uk average for someone working full time

imo nothing affects your grades other than yourself

i will side with who ever i feel is correct
i sided with the mod because he was right n you were wrong imo
if next time i believe he is wrong and you are right i'll side with you
hey guys, im turkish myself, but live abroad, and im going to newcastle university for biomedical sciences in september :smile: what're u all doing?

Quick Reply

Latest