The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by EKJM
Hye, it's great that you're so optimistic over this! I love that attitude! I wish I was like that when I faced my own rejections hahaha. I envy the variety in your work experience, a couple of doctors told me before that work in the retail field would improve your communication skills in med school, and perhaps open your eyes to how big the world really is! (sorry, bad translation from a Chinese proverb)

Keep up the volunteering spirit!

I can try to help you with your PS if you want. I'd drop you my email, all ya gotta do is ask. (;

EK

Thanks very much :smile: so should I send you my PS via private maily thing?

Original post by jasqur
Hey I’m in the same boat as you! haha
I also applied to bristol this year and was rejected. I got to the "second phase" but no interview :frown: In hindsight I think bristol was a wasted option because the competition is just so high; the statistics are 16 applicants for 1 place :/ what are your views?
:smile:

Well I think tuns of people apply to Bristol as it doesn't ask for UKCAT so those whose who messed up probably apply there as well as the normal amount! But every med school is crazy competitive! Will you do a gap year and reapply??
Reply 441
Original post by greenfro
Well I think tuns of people apply to Bristol as it doesn't ask for UKCAT so those whose who messed up probably apply there as well as the normal amount! But every med school is crazy competitive! Will you do a gap year and reapply??

Well I applied there mainly for that reason as I got quite an average/low ukcat (643) :/ I will definitely be going on a gap year and reapplying!! :smile:
Reply 442
Original post by jasqur
Well I applied there mainly for that reason as I got quite an average/low ukcat (643) :/ I will definitely be going on a gap year and reapplying!! :smile:

me too (645)! I wish I'd gone for Kings College London! Good just stay positive :smile: It will be our turn next year!
Reply 443
Original post by greenfro
me too (645)! I wish I'd gone for Kings College London! Good just stay positive :smile: It will be our turn next year!

I applied to kings and got rejected pre-interview because of my low ukcat :/ btw this is a really random question haha but did you leave lines between paragraphs in your personal statement? I've been having a look at mine and i've just noticed that I would've had 100 characters more if I hadn't left lines. I'm just worried it'll look crammed and will be off-putting to read if I do decide to do this next time round. :smile:
Reply 444
Original post by jasqur
I applied to kings and got rejected pre-interview because of my low ukcat :/ btw this is a really random question haha but did you leave lines between paragraphs in your personal statement? I've been having a look at mine and i've just noticed that I would've had 100 characters more if I hadn't left lines. I'm just worried it'll look crammed and will be off-putting to read if I do decide to do this next time round. :smile:

I didn't use paragraphs, apparently the PS the universities get has no paragraphs. Just pure text! SO when they remove the paragraphs, you'll always have sentences left over.
Reply 445
Original post by Doctor.
I didn't use paragraphs, apparently the PS the universities get has no paragraphs. Just pure text! SO when they remove the paragraphs, you'll always have sentences left over.

Well in one of my interviews, my interviewer had my personal statement in front of him and it did have the paragraphs...so don't know :s-smilie:
I think I may well risk it and use the extra characters
Original post by jasqur
Well in one of my interviews, my interviewer had my personal statement in front of him and it did have the paragraphs...so don't know :s-smilie:
I think I may well risk it and use the extra characters

No, we were told by our careers service that UCAS destroys any formatting you put in, including paragraphs. Better to get more in! :smile:
Reply 447
Original post by jasqur

Well hopefully I will do better in UKCAT this time haha! I didn't leave like a whole empty line, I just started on the next line for a new paragraph, I'm not 100% sure if UCAS removes all formatting!
Reply 448
4 Rejections - Pre interview
Leeds
King college
Peninsula
St Georges
Ukcat was so low (615)
Gcse's were average English - B (but it's my 3rd language ...)
AS Grades A chem A maths B physics C history then now AAAC
A2 predicticed A* maths A chem A physics.
I Know why they rejected me but I'm scared for next year since I haven't had any interviews this year.
Work experience 1 day with consultant surgeon and 1 day with junior medical doctor. (post application unfortunately) Also looking after disabled grandmother ect.
Any advice?
Reply 449
Original post by ashamoh
4 Rejections - Pre interview
Leeds
King college
Peninsula
St Georges
Ukcat was so low (615)
Gcse's were average English - B (but it's my 3rd language ...)
AS Grades A chem A maths B physics C history then now AAAC
A2 predicticed A* maths A chem A physics.
I Know why they rejected me but I'm scared for next year since I haven't had any interviews this year.
Work experience 1 day with consultant surgeon and 1 day with junior medical doctor. (post application unfortunately) Also looking after disabled grandmother ect.
Any advice?

Unlucky about the rejections :frown:
Get your predicted grades, try and improve on your UKCAT. It'll open a lot more doors (more places to pick). Also, research your medical schools better. Peninsula had an UKCAT cut-off of 645 this year (around that), but the year before the cut-off was around the same. If you looked around (especially on TSR) more you would've realised that. Also, Kings look for strong GCSEs and/or a strong UKCAT (700+), works on a sliding scale. Those were two wasted options imo. Not entirely sure about St George's but a lot of people from Leeds were rejected due to competition, I'm not sure what they wanted.

Get some more work experience, obviously it's quality and not quantity. But I don't know how you talked about experience in your PS... :/. Get another week of work experience in over the summer if you can arrange it.
Reply 450
Original post by Slavivlad
Health Care Assistant in a local hospital as a bank, but only working on an Oncology ward atm due to lack of time

My latest care job is going to be on Oncology ward as HCA, haven't worked that ward before what's it like?
Original post by fighting_on
Sorry to hear about everyone's rejections. :frown:

I am the same, got my fourth rejection today. I am not sure what to do, I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE's (and had extenuating circumstances), got AAAAB at AS in bio, chem, Eng lit, maths and Latin and dropped latin this year. my predicted grades are A*A*AA and i got 672.5 in the UKCAT. I also did an EPQ which i got an A* in and was a medical case study.

in terms of extra curricular activity I study mandarin outside of school and have achieved high qualifications as well as coming 2nd in speaking competition. I also play piano and hockey.

I have done a lot of work experience in GP, hospital, pathology lab, care home as well as volunteered in India teaching street children. I was told i had a really strong personal statement and spent ages on it.

I applied to oxford, dundee (got an interview), edinburgh and aberdeen.

Not bothered about oxford rejection as i dont think my BMAT was high enough. Do you think I would be rejected from the other 3 because I am not living in Scotland?
Also does anyone know anything about ringing unis you havent applied to in case they have any spaces left?
Are there spaces in clearing for medicine applicants?

Sorry to waffle on...and for being so self centred in this post! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear... it's horrible how long they make you wait!

hiya, what was your epq on?
Original post by AishaTara
hiya, what was your epq on?

Your epq doesn't have to be medical, for e.g I did mine on an evaluation of Islam and modern scientific theories. But in my med interview they still asked many questions on it and sounded fascinated :smile:
Original post by areebmazhar
Your epq doesn't have to be medical, for e.g I did mine on an evaluation of Islam and modern scientific theories. But in my med interview they still asked many questions on it and sounded fascinated :smile:

Ahh sounds good! I really don't know what to do mine on and I need to let my teacher know by friday :/

Quick Reply