The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minniiee
but i think birth place can be more important than ancestors in certain cases

I'm inclined to disagree with that statement. My mother was born in Sivas, which is in Asia. Her younger siblings were born in the European side of Istanbul. Does that make her siblings European, despite having come from the same Asian mother and father? No, I do not think so myself.

I'm interested as to know what these 'certain cases' are.

minniiee
eurasian doesnt settle it at all!

As a general term, I think it does. Of course, the individual may differ.
where do the hot chicks originate from? :holmes:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I'm inclined to disagree with that statement. My mother was born in Sivas, which is in Asia. Her younger siblings were born in the European side of Istanbul. Does that make her siblings European, despite having come from the same Asian mother and father? No, I do not think so myself.

I'm interested as to know what these 'certain cases' are.

i agree with you in the case stated above
however you said you were born in britain (if i recall correctly)
but your mother is asian
are you european or asian?
i agree with you in the case stated above
however you said you were born in britain (if i recall correctly)
but your mother is asian
are you european or asian?

My father is from Cyprus (Paphos/Baf) and my mother from Turkey (Sivas), therefore I suppose that I am Asian (if we define 'Asian' to be associated with the continent). But the word 'Asian', in Britain, is often used to term those from so-called 'South Asia' (i.e. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc.)

Original post by S-man10
where do the hot chicks originate from? :holmes:

All so-called 'hot chicks' originate from a common ancestor...

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
My father is from Cyprus (Paphos/Baf) and my mother from Turkey (Sivas), therefore I suppose that I am Asian (if we define 'Asian' to be associated with the continent). But the word 'Asian', in Britain, is often used to term those from so-called 'South Asia' (i.e. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc.)

Spoiler

but you were born, raised and educated in a country that is undisputedly european

Spoiler

where from in turkey, man? :holmes:

I have a feeling this thread will be quite empty in the next few week ...

time to say hi the asian folks :homles:
but you were born, raised and educated in a country that is undisputedly european

The part in bold is not true. There are people who dispute whether Great Britain is part of Europe. It's no longer connected to the continent's greater land mass. However, I am not one of these 'people'. I was merely questioning your usage of a word used to describe such certainty.

Yes, I was born and raised in 'Europe', but that does not make me an 'ethnic European'. Although this is an exaggerated example on merely a cultural level, imagine that I had Nigerian parents and then gloated I was 'European'.

Original post by S-man10
where from in turkey, man? :holmes:

This isn't an easy question to answer. :laugh:

On the western coast, a significant number of the inhabitants are what I like to describe as 'Islamified Greeks'. This is perhaps the least conservative part of the country which also in turn leads to people associating this part of the country with having the 'hottest girls'. However, in other parts of the country, where the women may in fact be far more attractive, they are more conservative and thus it is nigh on impossible to judge them as sexual objects so that we may compare and contrast them with their 'cousins' from Bodrum.

S-man10
I have a feeling this thread will be quite empty in the next few week ...

Are you implying that Turks take their exam period more seriously than the other ethnic cliques? :holmes:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
The part in bold is not true. There are people who dispute whether Great Britain is part of Europe. It's no longer connected to the continent's greater land mass. However, I am not one of these 'people'. I was merely questioning your usage of a word used to describe such certainty.

Yes, I was born and raised in 'Europe', but that does not make me an 'ethnic European'. Although this is an exaggerated example on merely a cultural level, imagine that I had Nigerian parents and then gloated I was 'European'.

This isn't an easy question to answer. :laugh:

On the western coast, a significant number of the inhabitants are what I like to describe as 'Islamified Greeks'. This is perhaps the least conservative part of the country which also in turn leads to people associating this part of the country with having the 'hottest girls'. However, in other parts of the country, where the women may in fact be far more attractive, they are more conservative and thus it is nigh on impossible to judge them as sexual objects so that we may compare and contrast them with their 'cousins' from Bodrum.

Are you implying that Turks take their exam period more seriously than the other ethnic cliques? :holmes:

Spoiler

people argue that britain isnt european?
crazy!
but yeah i would i think...
would you count them as european or african if one parent was nigerian and the other "typically" european?
or if all granparents were african but parents were born and brought up in the uk?
would you count them as european or african if one parent was nigerian and the other "typically" european?

I'd count them as 'half European'.

minniiee
or if all granparents were african but parents were born and brought up in the uk?

'African'.

Now next time your friends ask, you can tell them that you're...

:colonhash:
I'd count them as 'half European'.

'African'.

Now next time your friends ask, you can tell them that you're...

:colonhash:

id still call myself european even though my families from the asian side...
id still call myself european even though my families from the asian side...

Where are your family from? :curious:
Where are your family from? :curious:

mum was born in gebze but lived all over
i have family in cannakale
the black sea (i dont know what bit)
and istanbul
mum was born in gebze but lived all over
i have family in cannakale
the black sea (i dont know what bit)
and istanbul

You could be European. :dontknow:
Reply 1773
I am overjoyed! I will be attending a festival in Istanbul next May!!!!!!!! Grand Bazar and Taksim Square here I come again! I will make sure I get CDs for Turkish music as well I love it so much :smile:
You could be European. :dontknow:

oh dear oh well :smile:
Reply 1775
The thread has suddenly died. Awwwwww :frown:
Original post by xxm
The thread has suddenly died. Awwwwww :frown:

im still heeeerrreee
my mummy is coming to visit tomorow n bring lots of lokum :smile: yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
:smile:
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
I study that! :excited:

(I'm a second year student).

ooh thats cool :wink: do u like the course, and r u like planning to go on to med school later on? btw which uni?
im still heeeerrreee
my mummy is coming to visit tomorow n bring lots of lokum :smile: yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
:smile:

i love lokum! damn it ur lucky :tongue:
Original post by aeyurttaser13
do u like the course, and r u like planning to go on to med school later on? btw which uni?

Seeing as our resident lesbian is not here, I will speak on her behalf (which I'm sure she'll appreciate.) :wink2:

aeyurttaser13: do u like the course?

hollywoodbudgie: No, I wanted to study Medicine.

aeyurttaser13: r u like planning to go on to med school later on?

hollywoodbudgie: Yes, that is the pinnacle of my ambition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending