Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Counselling. Watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm just considering different careers I could do after my Psychology degree, one of them I have thought of is counselling. I've come across a Counselling and Psychotherapy course at my uni but it's confusing me - the MA is for registered professionals 'The MA programme at LJMU is specifically designed for practitioner researchers.', and the other is a PG Dip which is part-time for two years. But I still get the impression you already have to be working in counselling to do this course, although I know someone who has just completed an Outdoor Education Course and has been accepted onto the PG Dip.

    In the PG Dip entry requirements it says 'An appropriate prior training in counselling skills such as an intermediate, one year Certificate in Counselling Skills. '. I don't understand this? Does this mean I have to have my degree plus some certificate in counselling to get onto this?

    Does anyone know of any postgraduate counselling courses that you can go into straight after Psychology?

    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

    Last year I applied to LJMU and the basically you do the two-year diploma and after that can apply for the masters year - it may have changed since then though.
    I did a one-year certificate at a college and these are required for a lot of training courses, or at least a short introductory course - have a look at your local colleges because most do some sort of counselling course.
    The entry requirements mean that they want someone who has experience of counselling skills, although you could contact them and ask if this is essential, or if relevant work experience counts instead.
    Have a look at - be aware that there are different approaches to counselling, so look into them and decide which you think will suit you best.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: April 24, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.