The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by squiff93
kind of but ... i'll put it in spoilers just in case

Spoiler

I see.
Original post by .snowflake.
I see.

sorry
sorry

It's not your fault. I completely get why you dont want to go.
It's not your fault. I completely get why you dont want to go.

I'm literally having a panic attack sitting in my room. I can hear the people in the kitchen and I heard my name, now I'm scared they know everything :'(
I'm literally having a panic attack sitting in my room. I can hear the people in the kitchen and I heard my name, now I'm scared they know everything :'(

-hugging- just because they've said your name doesnt mean they're going Squiff, crazy bitch, never eats. I'll stop being so positive and smily, I'm probably getting on your tits with it.
-hugging- just because they've said your name doesnt mean they're going Squiff, crazy bitch, never eats. I'll stop being so positive and smily, I'm probably getting on your tits with it.

Don't worry you aren't at all I promise:smile:

And thing is it's that when I binge I eat enough for a killer whale sometimes I literally don't stop. I'm scared they think I'm greedy and I'm scared they'll hear me purging or something.

Also people do get on my case about stuff because I refuse to talk to people for long periods of time and I look rough a lot and I faint and get really dizzy spells.

I'm going to quite moaning now :smile:
Don't worry you aren't at all I promise:smile:

And thing is it's that when I binge I eat enough for a killer whale sometimes I literally don't stop. I'm scared they think I'm greedy and I'm scared they'll hear me purging or something.

Also people do get on my case about stuff because I refuse to talk to people for long periods of time and I look rough a lot and I faint and get really dizzy spells.

I'm going to quite moaning now :smile:

its ok. if you need to moan, moan. Gah. still so on edge. I think i ought to tell sir that if the same thing happens in my A2 exam, can he pick a time and stick to it? The whole being messed around yesterday afternoon didnt help. it was originally 3.05, then got told 3.45, then finally dragged out of biology at half 3.
its ok. if you need to moan, moan. Gah. still so on edge. I think i ought to tell sir that if the same thing happens in my A2 exam, can he pick a time and stick to it? The whole being messed around yesterday afternoon didnt help. it was originally 3.05, then got told 3.45, then finally dragged out of biology at half 3.

yeah that's completely unfair, i remember how worked up i got before my german speaking exam i was basically in tears, so if someone had messed around with the times i think it would have broke me!
yeah that's completely unfair, i remember how worked up i got before my german speaking exam i was basically in tears, so if someone had messed around with the times i think it would have broke me!

the time only got messed around because of the laptop deciding it'd be hilar to record just enough of my exam so that i would have to redo the whole thing. and i think that's not really helped with the whole post exam comedown thing. I did freaking yoga last night to try and calm down, and a HUGE cup of tea. Did not work. hot bath tonight, made no difference. Enough hugs from people today to kill a dwarf. Hasn't really helped.
I wonder how many people posting ITT genuinely suffer from a mental illness, and how many just wish they did because they think it makes them interesting.
Original post by kikukaede
I wonder how many people posting ITT genuinely suffer from a mental illness, and how many just wish they did because they think it makes them interesting.

How exactly would a mental disorder make you interesting? They aren't exactly uncommon

If ITT means what I think it means, thanks for calling us all attention seekers. Really helpful for our self esteem, and it really encourages us to admit to our friends and family that we're slowly starving ourselves to death/ potentially going to kill ourselves through elctrolyte imbalances, torn oesophagae and so forth when the general public assume we're doing this out of vanity or because it 'makes us interesting. I would never wish these voices in my head on ANYONE. Not even my worst enemy. I hope to god no one you know is privately being tormented like this, because your ignorant views are not helpful.

In terms of mental illness I've wanted to kill myself at various points since being nine. I've cut, I've starved, I've pulled my eyelashes out, scratched and pulled at my skin leaving me rediculously bruised. I suffer with anxiety which can get to the point I can barely function as a normal human being; I can no longer perform in public because of it. I have panic attacks. Which part of this makes me interesting exactly?
If ITT means what I think it means, thanks for calling us all attention seekers. Really helpful for our self esteem, and it really encourages us to admit to our friends and family that we're slowly starving ourselves to death/ potentially going to kill ourselves through elctrolyte imbalances, torn oesophagae and so forth when the general public assume we're doing this out of vanity or because it 'makes us interesting. I would never wish these voices in my head on ANYONE. Not even my worst enemy. I hope to god no one you know is privately being tormented like this, because your ignorant views are not helpful.

In terms of mental illness I've wanted to kill myself at various points since being nine. I've cut, I've starved, I've pulled my eyelashes out, scratched and pulled at my skin leaving me rediculously bruised. I suffer with anxiety which can get to the point I can barely function as a normal human being; I can no longer perform in public because of it. I have panic attacks. Which part of this makes me interesting exactly?

I didn't call you an attention-seeker, I was actually defending people like you who tragically do have to go through such painful experiences on a day to day basis.

If you cannot see objectively why being so 'damaged' might make you 'interesting' then I don't really know how else to explain to you. People pretend to have problems all the time in order to be given attention and to seem 'edgy' and jaded. I encounter it frequently, but that doesn't mean that it is my opinion that its 'interesting', I was saying that other people do.

To be honest what you have been through is also pretty irrelevant to this point but I understand why people jump at the chance to detail their traumas at every opportunity, even if I think its kind of stupid. I'm sorry you have to go through that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3193

People would do that??? Jesus Christ my ED is imo the worst part of me! I'd LOVE to live without it, makes me far from interesting - in fact, I found that it stole my personality. These people must still be messed up if they think that :lolwut:
Original post by Etoile
People would do that??? Jesus Christ my ED is imo the worst part of me! I'd LOVE to live without it, makes me far from interesting - in fact, I found that it stole my personality. These people must still be messed up if they think that :lolwut:

heh exactly. It's mostly young teenagers, I suppose they are still at the stage where they are searching for an identity and they think having a mental illness gives them one that makes them 'deep', admirable and able to channel whatever difficult teenage feelings they're having. Still annoying even though I can see why.
I didn't call you an attention-seeker, I was actually defending people like you who tragically do have to go through such painful experiences on a day to day basis.

If you cannot see objectively why being so 'damaged' might make you 'interesting' then I don't really know how else to explain to you. People pretend to have problems all the time in order to be given attention and to seem 'edgy' and jaded. I encounter it frequently, but that doesn't mean that it is my opinion that its 'interesting', I was saying that other people do.

To be honest what you have been through is also pretty irrelevant to this point but I understand why people jump at the chance to detail their traumas at every opportunity, even if I think its kind of stupid. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

There's a few things I have to say to that, don't you think that if people feel the need to make up **** about themselves to be perceived by strangers on the internet as interesting they must have issues?

The good thing about this thread is that people who understand and who have been there and have either come out the other side or who are fighting at the moment can really help and support you. They help you not to feel so alone.

Friends and whatever are easy to lose over this because they don't often don't understand. I've had people bitching behind my back about it, saying it's my fault I'm ill and that I could be better if I wanted. That's why this thread is so important because people know it isn't that simple.

I just can't see why anyone would make this kind of stuff up to be interesting, because really it makes you boring, who would want a friend who can only think about food, calories, starving and purging and finds it hard to smile?

Also if you didn't really have an eating disorder surely you wouldn't be stupid enough to try and talk to people who were suffering with them about it, I reckon I could easily recognise someone genuine from a bull****ter.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason I'm here is because I can talk about things that I can't say to my friends and family in real life. This is something I'm ASHAMED of. I'm not deluded, I've understood for many, many years how stupid and irrational my behaviour is and yet I still can't and don't want to stop it. There's nothing glamorous about an eating disorder and I think anyone who came to this thread who wasn't genuinely suffering would see that pretty much immediately.

I'm really sorry but I genuinely cannot tell if your above post is supposed to be 'I feel sorry for you' or 'stupid cow, can't see how others would see her, why the hell do you need to list whats wrong with you?' If it's the latter, I'll take offence at that. Being constantly called 'stupid', 'Oi, foureyes, noone gives a **** what you think', and other names of that ilk is the reason i'm in this place.
There's a few things I have to say to that, don't you think that if people feel the need to make up **** about themselves to be perceived by strangers on the internet as interesting they must have issues?

The good thing about this thread is that people who understand and who have been there and have either come out the other side or who are fighting at the moment can really help and support you. They help you not to feel so alone.

Friends and whatever are easy to lose over this because they don't often don't understand. I've had people bitching behind my back about it, saying it's my fault I'm ill and that I could be better if I wanted. That's why this thread is so important because people know it isn't that simple.

I just can't see why anyone would make this kind of stuff up to be interesting, because really it makes you boring, who would want a friend who can only think about food, calories, starving and purging and finds it hard to smile?

Also if you didn't really have an eating disorder surely you wouldn't be stupid enough to try and talk to people who were suffering with them about it, I reckon I could easily recognise someone genuine from a bull****ter.

This is young teenagers we are mostly talking about here, they are pretty stupid heh~

And could you? On the internet if someone does enough research they could probably pretend to be anything, copy stories and experiences from actual sufferers, consult WebMD etc. I mean it would perhaps be difficult to fool someone but its entirely possible and has happened. I used to go on tumblr very frequently and a frightening number of people have been exposed as 'fakes' on there who had claimed to suffer from a myriad of different illnesses. I mean some are obvious after some time, but I bet if I was emotionally invested in the person I would overlook small inconsistencies in their stories.
Reply 3199
heh exactly. It's mostly young teenagers, I suppose they are still at the stage where they are searching for an identity and they think having a mental illness gives them one that makes them 'deep', admirable and able to channel whatever difficult teenage feelings they're having. Still annoying even though I can see why.

Wtf. Having a mental illness doesn't make you seem cool, it makes people bully you. If people pretend to be ill, they've got some kind of issue going on, ED or not. :lolwut: I think everyone in this thread is sincere, because this is one of the few places we can be open about our illness without people like you thinking we want people calling us deep or whatever -.-

Quick Reply

Latest