The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kikukaede
heh exactly. It's mostly young teenagers, I suppose they are still at the stage where they are searching for an identity and they think having a mental illness gives them one that makes them 'deep', admirable and able to channel whatever difficult teenage feelings they're having. Still annoying even though I can see why.

Unless I'm much mistaken, Squiff et al will correct me if I am, but no one who's a regular on here [this thread] is under the age of 17.
Anyone find the eating problem gets SO much worse during exam time? :s-smilie: which is pants because it ruins your concentration! :frown:
Original post by .snowflake.
I'm really sorry but I genuinely cannot tell if your above post is supposed to be 'I feel sorry for you' or 'stupid cow, can't see how others would see her, why the hell do you need to list whats wrong with you?' If it's the latter, I'll take offence at that. Being constantly called 'stupid', 'Oi, foureyes, noone gives a **** what you think', and other names of that ilk is the reason i'm in this place.

It was the former, sorry. I just didn't really feel like in that instance going into detail about your problems was really relevant. Also personally I don't really why people feel so comfortable speaking about their personal problems online so openly to complete strangers - you have no idea who I am but you just told me basically you darkest secrets. Maybe its just me... but yeah I didn't really mean any offense, just being honest.
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
Anyone find the eating problem gets SO much worse during exam time? :s-smilie: which is pants because it ruins your concentration! :frown:

Amen. try eating problems + anxiety that will not go away + exams that i must nail this time, cos I can't resit them = my intake is non existant atm.
Unless I'm much mistaken, Squiff et al will correct me if I am, but no one who's a regular on here [this thread] is under the age of 17.

I said 'mostly' - besides how do you know for certain they are?

If I had any idea people would take a hypothetical question so literally and with such a offense I would have never have posted it, lol u_u
Original post by Etoile
Wtf. Having a mental illness doesn't make you seem cool, it makes people bully you. If people pretend to be ill, they've got some kind of issue going on, ED or not. :lolwut: I think everyone in this thread is sincere, because this is one of the few places we can be open about our illness without people like you thinking we want people calling us deep or whatever -.-

People think that about tumblr as well. Also you complain about me putting you into a group but then do the exact same to me... I wasn't accusing anyone specifically, so calm down :smile:
This is young teenagers we are mostly talking about here, they are pretty stupid heh~

And could you? On the internet if someone does enough research they could probably pretend to be anything, copy stories and experiences from actual sufferers, consult WebMD etc. I mean it would perhaps be difficult to fool someone but its entirely possible and has happened. I used to go on tumblr very frequently and a frightening number of people have been exposed as 'fakes' on there who had claimed to suffer from a myriad of different illnesses. I mean some are obvious after some time, but I bet if I was emotionally invested in the person I would overlook small inconsistencies in their stories.

Alright, fair I see your point. It's just stupid because if you lie, then it's just nothing, any attention you get is meaningless, it doesn't help you. And you'd know that it meant nothing to you. I just can't see where the satisfaction is.

Yep, everyone going on about biscuits and cups of tea and all these treats they're having...recipe for disaster.

However I have discovered Mini Milk lollies for only 30 calories and Options hot chocolate sachets for only 38 calories which means I can have nice little treats without going overboard and freaking out. And I'm not trying to say the low calorie thing is a good thing as such, but it does mean that I can have something tasty whereas otherwise I might have nothing. Hope this doesn't get misunderstood, I'm not trying to be triggering to anyone!
Original post by squiff93
Alright, fair I see your point. It's just stupid because if you lie, then it's just nothing, any attention you get is meaningless, it doesn't help you. And you'd know that it meant nothing to you. I just can't see where the satisfaction is.

Me neither really. The point is I do hope everyone on this thread is genuine (not that I'm glad you are all suffering, thats not what I mean!) because it hurts A LOT to realise someone you have confided in who you thought understood was lying the entire time. Its not good to be suspicious of everyone coming to look for help, but it is good to be cautious about your own secrets until you're sure.

Sorry if I've been a little harsh or mean about this, just found out relatively recently someone I spoke to online about my issues was a liar.
It was the former, sorry. I just didn't really feel like in that instance going into detail about your problems was really relevant. Also personally I don't really why people feel so comfortable speaking about their personal problems online so openly to complete strangers - you have no idea who I am but you just told me basically you darkest secrets. Maybe its just me... but yeah I didn't really mean any offense, just being honest.

why am I so open with Toto, Squiff, Etoile, sentiment and Riku, because they know .snowflake., they don't know the very lonely young woman behind the username. They have no idea what my name is, where I live, and I'm not actually certain they know how old I am. They know I'm going to uni. Why can i tell these guys my deepest darkest secrets, because i know they wont judge me, tell me to stop being so pathetic and just eat, call me a freak or threaten to dob me in to teachers. Because they know what its like to be sat in your room, feeling so cold that two pairs of socks, thermal t-shirt, a long sleeve top a huugely oversided hoody, a pair of jeans a blanket, 15.0 tog duvet, heating on full whack and a massive mug of tea cannot fix it.

Ugh, trying to make myself eat properly so I can actually concentrate on revision... Not working.
On another note I had another ED dream last night where I relapsed. I don't know if I'm freaking out about exams or just stressed in general. Stupid ED subconscious.

Spoiler

why am I so open with Toto, Squiff, Etoile, sentiment and Riku, because they know .snowflake., they don't know the very lonely young woman behind the username. They have no idea what my name is, where I live, and I'm not actually certain they know how old I am. They know I'm going to uni. Why can i tell these guys my deepest darkest secrets, because i know they wont judge me, tell me to stop being so pathetic and just eat, call me a freak or threaten to dob me in to teachers. Because they know what its like to be sat in your room, feeling so cold that two pairs of socks, thermal t-shirt, a long sleeve top a huugely oversided hoody, a pair of jeans a blanket, 15.0 tog duvet, heating on full whack and a massive mug of tea cannot fix it.

Well fair enough but I still wouldn't tell anyone about my personal problems even if I could ensure I would be completely anonymous. It's nice that you feel this comfortable with people you don't even know, at least you have someone :smile:
Original post by sentiment
Yep, everyone going on about biscuits and cups of tea and all these treats they're having...recipe for disaster.

However I have discovered Mini Milk lollies for only 30 calories and Options hot chocolate sachets for only 38 calories which means I can have nice little treats without going overboard and freaking out. And I'm not trying to say the low calorie thing is a good thing as such, but it does mean that I can have something tasty whereas otherwise I might have nothing. Hope this doesn't get misunderstood, I'm not trying to be triggering to anyone!

O_o. nowai. I knew about the latter. I KNOW WHAT I'M HAVING WHEN MY OFFERS TURN UNCONDITIONALLL!

Spoiler

Wish there was a solution to this because spending over 3000 pounds to resit the year isn't something which appeals to me :rolleyes:
Reply 3214
People think that about tumblr as well. Also you complain about me putting you into a group but then do the exact same to me... I wasn't accusing anyone specifically, so calm down :smile:

Think what about tumblr sorry? You're not really helping yourself though :tongue: Most people don't take eating disorders seriously, so when you say you think people pretend for the attention, it's pretty likely that people will react badly :lol:

I do. Muahahaha. :tongue:
Luv ya S! :hugs:
You've pretty much summed up why I love the internet. My laptop is really inefficient too, so it makes me almost warm XD

Spoiler

Wish there was a solution to this because spending over 3000 pounds to resit the year isn't something which appeals to me :rolleyes:

still hugging like a huggy thing on huggy tablets.

awhh hun :hugs: totally agree.
I said 'mostly' - besides how do you know for certain they are?

If I had any idea people would take a hypothetical question so literally and with such a offense I would have never have posted it, lol u_u

So you came onto a thread that's a safe space for sufferers for EDs (for many of us the only safe space we have to talk about this) and said that many people who post online about mental health problems are liars? Yeah, I can't see how that would cause any offense!

I think I speak for anyone when I say I'd rather be talking to liars who just want attention then to have them act out what they think is 'cool' in real life. At least if they're lying they're not doing themselves any damage.

Spoilered for talk of pro-ana stuff

Spoiler

Original post by Etoile
Think what about tumblr sorry? You're not really helping yourself though :tongue: Most people don't take eating disorders seriously, so when you say you think people pretend for the attention, it's pretty likely that people will react badly :lol:

I just didn't think people would totally misunderstand what I meant and take it as a personal attack on them.

and people think this
I think everyone in this thread is sincere, because this is one of the few places we can be open about our illness without people like you thinking we want people calling us deep or whatever
about tumblr.
awhh hun :hugs: totally agree.

ok, so i'm useless on the what its like to purge/ why you'd do it (I'm emetophobic), the laxie abuse. but i get why you do it.

Quick Reply

Latest