The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
O_o. nowai. I knew about the latter. I KNOW WHAT I'M HAVING WHEN MY OFFERS TURN UNCONDITIONALLL!

They're so good! And a box of twelve is only £1 at Tesco at the moment :wink: It's really nice being able to have one for pudding because I always like a little bit of something sweet after my dinner but I find it practically impossible to find anything 'safe' so these are a new favourite...and no overdoing it with the portion size because they're pre-packaged. I'm in love :smile:
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
So you came onto a thread that's a safe space for sufferers for EDs (for many of us the only safe space we have to talk about this) and said that many people who post online about mental health problems are liars? Yeah, I can't see how that would cause any offense!

I think I speak for anyone when I say I'd rather be talking to liars who just want attention then to have them act out what they think is 'cool' in real life. At least if they're lying they're not doing themselves any damage.

Spoilered for talk of pro-ana stuff

Spoiler

I assumed on a forum for university/potential university students people would be able to take the statement less literally and not freak out. I was mistaken I guess, heh

I didn't say I didn't feel sorry for them or that they do not have actual problems. It's just not very nice to be betrayed, I'm sure you'll agree, by someone you thought you trusted. They may not be hurting themselves but they will end up hurting many of the people around them when the truth comes out eventually.
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
So you came onto a thread that's a safe space for sufferers for EDs (for many of us the only safe space we have to talk about this) and said that many people who post online about mental health problems are liars? Yeah, I can't see how that would cause any offense!

I think I speak for anyone when I say I'd rather be talking to liars who just want attention then to have them act out what they think is 'cool' in real life. At least if they're lying they're not doing themselves any damage.

Spoilered for talk of pro-ana stuff

Spoiler

If any of the regs feel the need to go babes, irrational brain is talking. Feel free. its as if Kiku is the one with the issues, coming in here, accusing us of being liars/ attention seekers trying to turn all of us against one another.

Completely agree on the 'I'd rather they lie on the internet to fit in, if they are lying, than actually act out the behaviours irl to fit in. If she wants to see the disgusting, and certianly not glamorous side of ED's, I've got more than enough stuff that I can find on tumblr. Not that I'd really want to crosspost it to here, thinking of one of the things I've seen recently.
Original post by sentiment
They're so good! And a box of twelve is only £1 at Tesco at the moment :wink: It's really nice being able to have one for pudding because I always like a little bit of something sweet after my dinner but I find it practically impossible to find anything 'safe' so these are a new favourite...and no overdoing it with the portion size because they're pre-packaged. I'm in love :smile:

Did you have to tell me how much they were? I'd ask mum for a box, but i know my sister/ dad would have them all before i work up a fancy for one. AND THEN THEY LEAVE THE BOX IN THERE.
Original post by kikukaede
I assumed on a forum for university/potential university students people would be able to take the statement less literally and not freak out. I was mistaken I guess, heh

I didn't say I didn't feel sorry for them or that they do not have actual problems. It's just not very nice to be betrayed, I'm sure you'll agree, by someone you thought you trusted. They may not be hurting themselves but they will end up hurting many of the people around them when the truth comes out eventually.

It was quite a literal statement though, wasn't it?

You definitely insinuated that potentially a lot of people on here are faking their illnesses. I was offended at first and it took me a lot to reply just with the single sentence that I did and not go off on a rant about it. I'm too tired to rant and just told myself that hopefully you weren't actually trying to offend.
If any of the regs feel the need to go babes, irrational brain is talking. Feel free. its as if Kiku is the one with the issues, coming in here, accusing us of being liars/ attention seekers trying to turn all of us against one another.

Completely agree on the 'I'd rather they lie on the internet to fit in, if they are lying, than actually act out the behaviours irl to fit in. If she wants to see the disgusting, and certianly not glamorous side of ED's, I've got more than enough stuff that I can find on tumblr. Not that I'd really want to crosspost it to here, thinking of one of the things I've seen recently.

Seeing as I'm an ED sufferer its not necessary for me to be 'shown' the true face of this illness.
I wasn't accusing anyone in particular or trying to turn anyone against each other - you are taking it completely too far and out of context. Seriously, calm down. If anything take what I'm said not as an insult, but as a caution to be wary of who you communicate with online.
Original post by squiff93

You definitely insinuated that potentially a lot of people on here are faking their illnesses. I was offended at first and it took me a lot to reply just with the single sentence that I did and not go off on a rant about it. I'm too tired to rant and just told myself that hopefully you weren't actually trying to offend.

and I just ranted on everyone elses behalf.

Am I the only person who has no idea what tumblr actually is :colondollar:
Seeing as I'm an ED sufferer its not necessary for me to be 'shown' the true face of this illness.
I wasn't accusing anyone in particular or trying to turn anyone against each other - you are taking it completely too far and out of context. Seriously, calm down. If anything take what I'm said not as an insult, but as a caution to be wary of who you communicate with online.

Your first statement was 'I wonder how many of you actually have an eating disorder/ mental illness'. Can you not see how we could and did take it the wrong way?

I didn't intend it to be so when I posted it, but looking back I suppose I can see why someone could take it as such especially when I didn't offer any supporting detail ie my own experiences.

And to be completely honest, there is potential that is the case but I wasn't saying that anyone was. I was expecting people to respond with their own experiences of encountering liars online, thats the kind of discussion I meant to start.
Am I the only person who has no idea what tumblr actually is :colondollar:

its a blogging thing, mainly with pictures more than words. to repost something that someone else has posted you 'reblog' it or rebloggen as my tumblr calls it.
Your dashboard 'dash' is your homepage and shows you what your friends have reposted.
Your first statement was 'I wonder how many of you actually have an eating disorder/ mental illness'. Can you not see how we could and did take it the wrong way?

I struggle to predict and often care about other people's emotions (not in a callous way I just can't) but yes I do see how it could offend people and I have already apologized and attempted to explain what I really meant.
its a blogging thing, mainly with pictures more than words. to repost something that someone else has posted you 'reblog' it or rebloggen as my tumblr calls it.
Your dashboard 'dash' is your homepage and shows you what your friends have reposted.

I'm going to investigate lol :smile:
I'm going to investigate lol :smile:

NOOOO. It'll just be another thing to get distracted by. PROMISE!
I didn't intend it to be so when I posted it, but looking back I suppose I can see why someone could take it as such especially when I didn't offer any supporting detail ie my own experiences.

And to be completely honest, there is potential that is the case but I wasn't saying that anyone was. I was expecting people to respond with their own experiences of encountering liars online, thats the kind of discussion I meant to start.

Alright, well I'm done being annoyed at it now, so yeah your forgiven. And this IS an ED support thread so if you want support then your more than welcome to ask.
Alright, well I'm done being annoyed at it now, so yeah your forgiven. And this IS an ED support thread so if you want support then your more than welcome to ask.

Well thank you for the offer but I think I'm pretty much beyond help and talking about pretty much anything to do with it in detail triggers me anyway. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks! :smile:
NOOOO. It'll just be another thing to get distracted by. PROMISE!

Just looked at it (i'm a stubborn person) it seems too triggering, I don't want to be triggered so yeah no tumblr for me :colone:
Well thank you for the offer but I think I'm pretty much beyond help and talking about pretty much anything to do with it in detail triggers me anyway. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks! :smile:

Not trying to encourage you to talk to us if you don't want to, but nobody is truly beyond help. There are people in this thread, Toto especially, who have shown that you really can come back and get stronger from being very, very low indeed. So have faith :smile:
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share me sort of 'Eureka' moment i had the other day.

I've been really stuggling since coming out of in-patient treatment and finding it difficult to carve a way out of this hossible illness. But the other day a lady i know said to me 'You look awful, really really unwell, are you okay?'. Normally i would take this as a huge insult and use it to encourage my eating disorder 'excusing' myself as such. But instead i went home and looked at myself in the mirror. For the first time i saw the real ugly face of an eating disorder and saw what it had done to me.

I realised how much it had taken away from me physically and mentally. I felt strong and even decided i was going to have breakfast, lunch and dinner and i achieved this!!! Obviously not without anxiety and worry. But i did it.

For the first time in ten years, i have not used other peoples comments to encourage my self-destructing behaviour but used it in a positive way to face up to the illness and not let it win the battle.

Its a long road ahead, but after applying for my student finance this week it has spurred me on to really look forward to the future. Accepting that maybe it will always be a part of mylife. But how big a part of my life, is up to my strength and confidence.

Keep safe guys

xxxx
I'm in such a dilemma, I've been offered another job (a job that I had before but they couldn't afford to keep me working) I desperately need the money and the job, but when I worked with this guy before he was really pervy he would say things which were inappropriate and he would touch me in ways I was really uncomfortable with. The place I worked was a food place, and I decided to stop eating because I associated food with him.

I don't know whether to take the job, I feel that having more money would help me eat though, because at the moment I see that if I don't eat I won't have so many money problems.

I've told the guy that I'm not comfortable with what he does, but he always laughs it off, and when he grabs me I'm not strong enough to get him off and sometimes it hurts me when I struggle. I know he'd never go far enough to really abuse me though. Should I suck it up and take the job back?

Quick Reply

Latest