The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Taking anti-depressants when you are not depressed?

Will it cause problems?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could get the same side effects that anyone who is depressed does when they take them, you'd be wasting money for no benefit. Additionally you could be subject to discontinuation problems when you stopped it again. There's absolutely no good reason to take them unless you need them, you won't get any buzz/high/fun from them.

However, depression isn't the only good reason to take antidepressants, they can also be useful for anxiety problems, long term sleep issues, fibromyalgia, IBS, etc.
Reply 2
The research I have read shows that (at least tricyclic) anti-depressants have no effect (mood wise) on individuals without depression.
Depends. What one, and why are you wanting to? They're prescribed for all kinds of problems other than depression but should never be taken without a specific prescription.
Why would you want to do that?
I don't understand why you would take anti-depressants if you didn't need them to be perfectly honest.
Why on earth would you do that?!

Tbh I'm not entirely sure what would happen but I can imagine that you could get hooked on them. If not physically, then mentally atleast.
Reply 7
I want say I'm really depressed but, my tutor at uni thinks so and I kinda of go with it so that it will help me for EC,
I'll be taking Fluoxetine
Reply 8
You might just get the side effects that some people get, including things like anxiety, headaches, dizziness etc..Some of them are prescribed for things like bulimia and premature ejaculation, so it's not like you're going to become really ill as a result of not being depressed and taking them.

They may not do anything at all.
Reply 9
Original post by Jennie027
I don't understand why you would take anti-depressants if you didn't need them to be perfectly honest.

Original post by Sternumator
Why would you want to do that?

Original post by PurpleJazzHands

Tbh I'm not entirely sure what would happen but I can imagine that you could get hooked on them. If not physically, then mentally atleast.

some anti-depressants are very useful for other things...like amitriptyline and neuropathic pain

dunno if he is being prescribed them, but they can be prescribed for other things
Fluoxetine is pretty harmless
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I want say I'm really depressed but, my tutor at uni thinks so and I kinda of go with it so that it will help me for EC,
I'll be taking Fluoxetine

EC?
Original post by PurpleJazzHands

Antidepressants are neither physically nor mentally addictive. If I don't take my meds I don't get any kind of urge to take them. I *want* to take them because they help, in the past I've had meds that made me worse or did nothing so I just stopped taking them like that.

When people talk about withdrawal/discontinuation symptoms it's just because your brain has to adapt to not having medications that change things quite a lot there anymore. Even these don't suddenly make you crave the drug in any way, although you might want to discontinue them slower.
Original post by moya
some anti-depressants are very useful for other things...like amitriptyline and neuropathic pain

dunno if he is being prescribed them, but they can be prescribed for other things

I meant I don't understand why you would take anti-depressants if you didn't need them at all, not just for depression i.e. haven't been prescribed them/don't need them at all for anything. Sorry for the confusion :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by moya
EC?

Extunating circumstances
Reply 15
I don't think you will be able to get anti-depressants if your not depressed. They are only available on prescription, as they would be largely misused if open to the public. You can't just walk in and say 'I would like some anti-depressants'. They would most definitely say 'have you got a prescription'. If you haven't, then you won't get them.

Tbh I think that's very irresponsible of you to think like that. They are prescription for a reason. You can get addicted to them quite easily and its not easy to come off.

Stop posting pathetic threads like this on TSR. What ever happened to common-sense in people?
I was prescribed an anti-anxiety medication a few years back to sedate me at night... Made me really paranoid and anxious.
Why would you want to put synthetic crap into your bloodstream if you don't need it?
Reply 17
It may make you feel weird. Maybe some people like that. Unlikely to enhance mood though if you're not depressed, and on top of that you are still prone to side effects such as tiredness.

It depends what type of anti-depressant though, if it's an SSRI (which is the most commonly prescribed), then what I said above just about sums it up. If it's one that increases noradrenalin or dopamine levels then it probably will enhance mood, such as bupropion which increases both. But the potential side effects (sometimes even dangerous) don't outweight the positive in non-depressed people with those types of anti-depressants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Prozac for fun?

I hope you die of serotonin syndrome.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Extunating circumstances

wait, so you want to take AD's pretending that it's for depression, so you can gain some sort of advantage in your studies?

..........wow

Latest