The Student Room Group

Wearing a bra to bed - bad for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Ah thanks, cleared up my worries :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by jimcatinnes
Though I agree with what you said, chronic inflammation and irritation can lead to cancer, which may be what the information she read was referring to. But it's all just scare mongering really.

Yeah, i suppose it's one of the many things in life that if it becomes a habit it leads to cancer... like a bad diet, smoking etc. Am I right or completely off the mark haha?
Reply 42
Original post by Ezekiella
Thanks! Could you post a link to the Bravissimo site section? I browsed their site but couldn't find it, but any more info would be useful :smile:

I thought it might cause cancer b/c of this link btw:

http://www.sarahbesthealth.com/bras-and-breast-cancer/

but having Googled it there doesn't seem to be much of a link...

Ahh I just had a look, they must have deleted the page, I'm sorry! But I can give you the gist of it from when I first started buying from them:

Basically-
1. don't sleep on your front if you can help it
2. if you sleep on your sides place a soft, fairly thin cushion underneath your boobs so that they are supported a little instead of sagging all the way across your chest.
3. Lying on your back is ideal
EDIT: 4. If you're lying on your back, use the same thin cushion you would have used to sleep on your side and place it underneath you where your bra strap usually goes, the relief to your back is AMAZING!

Also, they sell soft bras to wear to bed if you feel it's absolutely necessary (in their nightwear section) along with specially made tops to give mild support :smile:

P.S. Make sure you give yourself regular booby exams, using the palm of your hand and in a rolling motion all over to check for lumps :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by elixira
is it ****, everything seems to cause cancer these days... I always wear mine too.

That's because everything does cause cancer. Even the food you eat does it. In order to avoid it you have to live as healthily as possible, but then you have to realise that the stress of healthy eating +living will increase your chances of cancer more than the bad eating habits lol. There's no escape.
Reply 44
You should wear nothing to bed. I don't. :wink:

Just kidding :smile:
Reply 45
I'm also a 32D, I've never felt I needed support while I'm asleep, I find it much comfier sleeping without one.
I don't wear mine to bed simply because I feel more comfortable without one in bed. I doubt it means you're more likely to get cancer if you do. You may as well say wearing bras in general causes breast cancer.
Reply 47
I always wear one during the day and always take it off for bed. That's what my mum advised when I first started to wear a bra, and what I've always done since. :smile: The odd time I have tried wearing a bra at night (like on a sleepover) it's felt so wrong and uncomfy :confused: - now I take it off as usual if I'm at a friend's...

I guess it's all down to what feels most comfortable to you...
Woah. I didn't know they were also a factor to cancer, even though I find this hardly surprising- as mentioned in an earlier post everything is supposed to cause it...
I wouls say to take this advice...
Original post by Deema

Basically-
1. don't sleep on your front if you can help it
2. if you sleep on your sides place a soft, fairly thin cushion underneath your boobs so that they are supported a little instead of sagging all the way across your chest.
3. Lying on your back is ideal
EDIT: 4. If you're lying on your back, use the same thin cushion you would have used to sleep on your side and place it underneath you where your bra strap usually goes, the relief to your back is AMAZING!

Unless they somehow prove that thin cushions also cause a cell-munching corporeal catastrophe. :dry:
Reply 49
Original post by Ezekiella
I do this pretty much every night but I read that it increases the risk of breast cancer - is that actually true? I know I probably shouldn't but I feel weird without the support (am a 32D), is there anything I can wear instead? Or is there only a risk if you wear non-underwired bras?

I first heard this when I was a kid. Fortunately, I am not blessed with a heavy chest. When you think about what cancer is (in short, uncontrollable cell reproduction) and what a bra is (a piece of material that holds your boobs in place) the accusation is ridiculous. I agree, a sports bra is better, and would be more comfortable for you. A daytime bra may dig into your sides as you twist and turn.
Some girls wear a bra to bed others don't, everything is wrong or bad for you if you believe everything which is reported,

Wearing a bra all the time will make your boobs in your later years i.e over 40 years old much more saggy as you not letting the muscles strengthen up to be able to hold them as they are always being supported by the bra.

Just do what ever you feel comfortable with, if you don't feel comfortable sleeping with a bra on then wear a bra but I would say try to at least not wear a bra maybe one night a week then if get more comfortable do another night as so on
Reply 51
I wear my bra during the day and take it off at night.

If i'm staying over a friend's house then I wear a wireless one so its not too much pressure- usually if i know that I'm going to staying in the same room as the person. If i'm in a room by myself then i'll go without.
Reply 52
Original post by hvh
Wearing a bra to bed?? I don't wear a bra in the day time if I can avoid it.. but i'm only a C do I don't really have the issue of them falling out anywhere! :tongue: I just generally find them uncomfortable.

Me neither!
Tbh, I only wore them in the mistaken belief that they stopped breasts from sagging over time.
I have small breasts anyway, they don't impede me when exercising nor do they actually *need* support.

I'd imagine if there even IS a cancer risk it would be present anytime the bra is worn, not just at night.
Surely if that's the case, then wearing a bra during the day would be equally as bad? I very much doubt night time has an affect on what issues a bra causes.
I've always worn a bra to bed since I was about 11. At first it was because I didn't even realise you were meant to take it off, and then I carried on anyway because I've never really liked when my nipples poke through my clothing :colondollar:, and padded bras tend to prevent this. My cup size has ranged from AA to its current C, so it's not to do with supporting any big boobs either. I never wear underwired bras anymore though, as I find them quite uncomfortable, sleeping or awake!

Am I weird for having these views? :o:

I've heard the cancer scares before, but since they're not hugely verified, and it's been claimed that almost anything we do can cause cancer anyway, then I'm not really worried about that.
(edited 11 years ago)
It doesn't increase your risk of cancer :sigh:
Reply 56
not sure wearing a bra to bed would cause cancer, but I simply feel uncomfortable wearing it to sleep.
I'm a 32E and never wear a bra to bed. If I'm staying at a friend's I'll put a bra on in the morning (if we're staying in our PJs for a while) but seriously, who would be offended by maybe seeing nipples through a friend's top? We all have them!
I do sleep on my stomach, though. Looks like it's augmentationville for me when I'm thirty.
Original post by Deema
No, it doesn't cause cancer. But wearing a wired bra to bed makes causes inflammation

..and inflammation causes cancer.
I can't help but wonder where you've got this information from?

Neither pectoralis major nor minor have any significant effect on breast size or 'perkiness' - whilst some of the breast tissue is attached to the overlying fascia, the shape of the breasts are largely determined by intrinsic connective tissues and the breast tissue itself. Toning of the pectoralis muscles may serve to slightly elevate the breast overall, but will have negligible to no effect on the breast shape.

The notion also the a brassiere would somehow relieve strain the pectoralis muscles is also rather strange in itself. Pectoralis major adducts and flexes the humerus, and has little to no function below on the chest; whilst it is an accessory muscle for inhalation, this mechanism of which relates to pulling the sternum and clavicles upwards, not by any attachment to the breast tissue. Its prominence with exercise, addtionally, is simply the result of growth of the muscle tissue.

Whether the breasts are supported or not will have minimal impact on even the inhalation function; the 'extra' weight is still attached over the shoulders and requires the same energy to lift; and when lying down in bed this would be virtually non-existent as the horizontal nature of most sleep means that the pectoralis component of inhalation is not opposing gravity.

Or maybe I'm working on poor textbook anatomy and you've seen a paper which explores new roles of pecs re: breast shape?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending