The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
its a blogging thing, mainly with pictures more than words. to repost something that someone else has posted you 'reblog' it or rebloggen as my tumblr calls it.
Your dashboard 'dash' is your homepage and shows you what your friends have reposted.

You have a tumblr snowflake? Me too! It's pretty much been a lifesaver.
Wonders if I'm folllowing you without realising it's you

I know I haven't been here for a while, I hope you're all okay.
I've just been... well, you can see my post on the depression soc if you want to know.

Love you all darlings, keep safe. xx
Original post by squiff93
I'm in such a dilemma, I've been offered another job (a job that I had before but they couldn't afford to keep me working) I desperately need the money and the job, but when I worked with this guy before he was really pervy he would say things which were inappropriate and he would touch me in ways I was really uncomfortable with. The place I worked was a food place, and I decided to stop eating because I associated food with him.

I don't know whether to take the job, I feel that having more money would help me eat though, because at the moment I see that if I don't eat I won't have so many money problems.

I've told the guy that I'm not comfortable with what he does, but he always laughs it off, and when he grabs me I'm not strong enough to get him off and sometimes it hurts me when I struggle. I know he'd never go far enough to really abuse me though. Should I suck it up and take the job back?

That is a dilemma. But hun, when he touches you without your consent, that is not okay. Is there anyone you can talk to about his behaviour? Like a manager? I'd be worried about you being safe if you took the job but you do need to eat. You shouldn't have to work alongside someone like that. You shouldn't have to suck it up. What he's doing is wrong. Please try and talk to a manager or something and then see if they can discpline him or make sure you don't work together first or something. If you take the job and he's like that it's only going to make things worse because even though you'll have money, it's going to be even more difficult emotionally.
That's what I think anyway. :hugs:
Original post by natalie122
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share me sort of 'Eureka' moment i had the other day.

I've been really stuggling since coming out of in-patient treatment and finding it difficult to carve a way out of this hossible illness. But the other day a lady i know said to me 'You look awful, really really unwell, are you okay?'. Normally i would take this as a huge insult and use it to encourage my eating disorder 'excusing' myself as such. But instead i went home and looked at myself in the mirror. For the first time i saw the real ugly face of an eating disorder and saw what it had done to me.

I realised how much it had taken away from me physically and mentally. I felt strong and even decided i was going to have breakfast, lunch and dinner and i achieved this!!! Obviously not without anxiety and worry. But i did it.

For the first time in ten years, i have not used other peoples comments to encourage my self-destructing behaviour but used it in a positive way to face up to the illness and not let it win the battle.

Its a long road ahead, but after applying for my student finance this week it has spurred me on to really look forward to the future. Accepting that maybe it will always be a part of mylife. But how big a part of my life, is up to my strength and confidence.

Keep safe guys

xxxx

:jumphug:
Original post by diamonddust
That is a dilemma. But hun, when he touches you without your consent, that is not okay. Is there anyone you can talk to about his behaviour? Like a manager? I'd be worried about you being safe if you took the job but you do need to eat. You shouldn't have to work alongside someone like that. You shouldn't have to suck it up. What he's doing is wrong. Please try and talk to a manager or something and then see if they can discpline him or make sure you don't work together first or something. If you take the job and he's like that it's only going to make things worse because even though you'll have money, it's going to be even more difficult emotionally.
That's what I think anyway. :hugs:

The problem is that it's not clear who the manager is anymore. The people who own the business are very much absent and when at work it is always only him with one other waitress (it's a very small place) so in that sense he kind of is the manager.

My friend also works there, and she was like yeah he is a bit strange but from what she said I could tell he'd never been thIat far with her, so she didn't really understand it. It sounds stupid but when he's not being like 'that' he's a dead nice guy, so I kind of don't want to get him in trouble. Also I just tell myself he doesn't understand it's not acceptable because he is foreign.

I would like to tell my mum about it but I know she'd be angry and force me not to take the job. I'll think about it, maybe I'll say yes to the job, but promise myself that if he does anything to make me feel uncomfortable again I'll have to leave.

Love you hunnyyy :smile:
The problem is that it's not clear who the manager is anymore. The people who own the business are very much absent and when at work it is always only him with one other waitress (it's a very small place) so in that sense he kind of is the manager.

My friend also works there, and she was like yeah he is a bit strange but from what she said I could tell he'd never been thIat far with her, so she didn't really understand it. It sounds stupid but when he's not being like 'that' he's a dead nice guy, so I kind of don't want to get him in trouble. Also I just tell myself he doesn't understand it's not acceptable because he is foreign.

I would like to tell my mum about it but I know she'd be angry and force me not to take the job. I'll think about it, maybe I'll say yes to the job, but promise myself that if he does anything to make me feel uncomfortable again I'll have to leave.

Love you hunnyyy :smile:

I think that's a perfect compromise. :smile: God, I worry about you all!
I've been lurking for ages like a stalker but haven't had the heart to post.
Love you too Squiffy! xxx :jumphug:
:jumphug:

:biggrin:
Original post by natalie122
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share me sort of 'Eureka' moment i had the other day.

I've been really stuggling since coming out of in-patient treatment and finding it difficult to carve a way out of this hossible illness. But the other day a lady i know said to me 'You look awful, really really unwell, are you okay?'. Normally i would take this as a huge insult and use it to encourage my eating disorder 'excusing' myself as such. But instead i went home and looked at myself in the mirror. For the first time i saw the real ugly face of an eating disorder and saw what it had done to me.

I realised how much it had taken away from me physically and mentally. I felt strong and even decided i was going to have breakfast, lunch and dinner and i achieved this!!! Obviously not without anxiety and worry. But i did it.

For the first time in ten years, i have not used other peoples comments to encourage my self-destructing behaviour but used it in a positive way to face up to the illness and not let it win the battle.

Its a long road ahead, but after applying for my student finance this week it has spurred me on to really look forward to the future. Accepting that maybe it will always be a part of mylife. But how big a part of my life, is up to my strength and confidence.

Keep safe guys

xxxx

Well done! Great progress. It really does show that you know what the problem is and you're trying to get better. I know I felt the same when people looked at me and said I looked ill. I thought that they didn't know anything and I didn't listen. Then I saw it myself and realised I didn't feel like a woman any more; it actually spurred me into recovering because I wanted to look like my friends, I didn't want people feeling sorry for me...and I wanted guys to fancy me :P x
You have a tumblr snowflake? Me too! It's pretty much been a lifesaver.
Wonders if I'm folllowing you without realising it's you

I know I haven't been here for a while, I hope you're all okay.
I've just been... well, you can see my post on the depression soc if you want to know.

Love you all darlings, keep safe. xx

I doubt it very much that you're following me. Would be blooming freaky if you are. I hope you've been ok. Am I the only person who wants to sun to sort its life out and get its ass back here, like, yesterday?

I'm reblogging so much stuff at the moment. Doesnt help that it all reflects how I feel.

Edit. Rant and a half warning. Jeesus, people suck.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sentiment
Not trying to encourage you to talk to us if you don't want to, but nobody is truly beyond help. There are people in this thread, Toto especially, who have shown that you really can come back and get stronger from being very, very low indeed. So have faith :smile:

Thank you for your words but to be honest you can't get better if you don't really want to, I'm pretty much an evil person and this is just part of the ways I punish myself and my body. Although if I do ever feel the need to talk I will be sure to keep this thread in mind, you all do sound like nice down to earth folk :smile:
Original post by kikukaede
Thank you for your words but to be honest you can't get better if you don't really want to, I'm pretty much an evil person and this is just part of the ways I punish myself and my body. Although if I do ever feel the need to talk I will be sure to keep this thread in mind, you all do sound like nice down to earth folk :smile:

Yeah, I understand that. I've thought about treatment many times but it seems pointless at the moment because I don't want to get better, and I've never known/heard of anyone who succeeded at recovery without first really really wanting it. But all the best, anyway.
I wonder how many people posting ITT genuinely suffer from a mental illness, and how many just wish they did because they think it makes them interesting.

why am I so open with Toto, Squiff, Etoile, sentiment and Riku, because they know .snowflake., they don't know the very lonely young woman behind the username. They have no idea what my name is, where I live, and I'm not actually certain they know how old I am. They know I'm going to uni. Why can i tell these guys my deepest darkest secrets, because i know they wont judge me, tell me to stop being so pathetic and just eat, call me a freak or threaten to dob me in to teachers. Because they know what its like to be sat in your room, feeling so cold that two pairs of socks, thermal t-shirt, a long sleeve top a huugely oversided hoody, a pair of jeans a blanket, 15.0 tog duvet, heating on full whack and a massive mug of tea cannot fix it.

Snowflake pretty much summed this up for me. I'd also say apart from the anonymity and the security in being able to say anything without being judged or ridiculed, it's because these people understand me and how I'm feeling better than anyone who hasn't suffered.

Spoiler

. I know you didn’t mean anything by it now, but can you at least understand how posting a statement which even possibly implies we’re just attention-seekers who like being ill this could be seen as inflammatory and taken the wrong way?

But in answer to this-never give up, really. I don’t think anyone who’s truly a bad person has ever felt guilty for it, this is your ED talking. Believe you’ve a right to be happy and free of the hurt like everyone else. We’re always here.
:hugs:
Reply 3251
Nooo idea why that came out Anon. That was Riku, btw. :smile:

Just had crowning moment of awesome. Hope it's not triggering, I don#'t mean it to be if it is!

Spoiler

Main issue at the moment: does losing sleep make it harder to gain/even maintain? Because after a few nights of losing sleep lately, I'm starting to get the "can't breathe" feeling again, but this could just be angst messing with my head :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
So, people in recovery.... what do you do when you hit that brick wall and it's so difficult you don't know if you can cope anymore? I'm such a weak person. :sad: Nearly had to cut at college today, despite not having done so for weeks, managed not to though. The bad part is that the feeling was there. :cry:
also, possibly tmi but does anyone else find that an ED completely removed their desire for sex? XD
Reply 3253
Ooh, same thing happened as Riku. That was me ^
Original post by Anonymous
So, people in recovery.... what do you do when you hit that brick wall and it's so difficult you don't know if you can cope anymore? I'm such a weak person. :sad: Nearly had to cut at college today, despite not having done so for weeks, managed not to though. The bad part is that the feeling was there. :cry:
also, possibly tmi but does anyone else find that an ED completely removed their desire for sex? XD

Just remember that you aren't a weak person, and that just wanting to get better means you've got somewhere. I don't think anyone with an ED goes through recovery and doesn't move a few steps forward and the occaisional step back, but if you can push yourself to get past the wall you'll be a stronger person for it. This might not help but have you ever written down all the things you want to do and can't because of your ED, I find it quite motivating when i get the 'I'm hopeless what is the point in even trying to get better, it's way easier to stay like this' thoughts. Also writing a list of pros and cons of having an eating disorder, you will probably find there are way more cons, and the pros are usually either things that aren't particuarly good or things like control which you can get through managing to get better or even things like being on top of work etc. (if that made sense)

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
RE: the whole sex thing. I've a book which, unless I've completely gone mad, explains why it happens.
Just remember that you aren't a weak person, and that just wanting to get better means you've got somewhere. I don't think anyone with an ED goes through recovery and doesn't move a few steps forward and the occaisional step back, but if you can push yourself to get past the wall you'll be a stronger person for it. This might not help but have you ever written down all the things you want to do and can't because of your ED, I find it quite motivating when i get the 'I'm hopeless what is the point in even trying to get better, it's way easier to stay like this' thoughts. Also writing a list of pros and cons of having an eating disorder, you will probably find there are way more cons, and the pros are usually either things that aren't particuarly good or things like control which you can get through managing to get better or even things like being on top of work etc. (if that made sense)

Spoiler

Thank you :smile: I will try that. It's since I've been in recovery for this and SI, that means that all of my coping mechanisms have been taken away. And I'm on medication of which a side effect may be depression. Gah. I will do those things though.
Thanks for being honest too!
Reply 3257
RE: the whole sex thing. I've a book which, unless I've completely gone mad, explains why it happens.

Really? So why is it?
Reply 3258
Original post by Etoile
Really? So why is it?

Fats are needed to make hormones for the body to function normally. Coupled with the self-esteem stuff...

Edit: I also read somewhere that young girls develop eating problems partly due to the pressures of becoming a woman being too overwhelming. Therefore they keep their child-like body and hormonal state and do not have to become a woman and mature, with the responsibilities that brings. I don't know what my opinion is on that, but it's something I read.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
Really? So why is it?

I'll need to find it and have a gander. Knowing me it wont actually have it in there :/

Quick Reply

Latest