The Student Room Group

Mysterious puddle of water

Could anyone shed any light on this?

Once every few months, random puddle of water appears on our dining room floor. It's not like an accidental spillage either, it's huge, I'm guessing around two large buckets' worth of water. There isn't any mark on the ceiling, there are no doors surrounding it, and it's on the second floor. The room underneath has never had anything similar.

Usually it happens overnight, but I came home today and found the biggest one yet. No-one had been in the house since I left for school this morning, and it definitely wasn't there then.

Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Don't step in it. You may fall through and end up in a different world.
Reply 2
Leaky pipe under the floor?
Reply 3
is it clean? soapy or smelly?
tumblr_lz0f657gu31qhvtgno1_400.jpg
Reply 5
Illuminati
Original post by Manitude
Leaky pipe under the floor?

That's what I originally thought, but surely it would come out in the room below, and occur more frequently than around once every two months?

Oh and the water's totally clean, like tap water.
Reply 7
Reptilians
Original post by siwelmail
Don't step in it. You may fall through and end up in a different world.

Was that a magician's nephew reference?!?!
Reply 9
are you sure it's clean? maybe a local cat likes to come and piss in your kitchen...
Reply 10
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
That's what I originally thought, but surely it would come out in the room below, and occur more frequently than around once every two months?

Oh and the water's totally clean, like tap water.

There could be reasons why it doesn't appear downstairs such as the leak in the pipe faces upwards and the ceiling of the room below is unusually water resistant. Might be worth taking a look under the carpet to see anyway.
Original post by willbee
are you sure it's clean? maybe a local cat likes to come and piss in your kitchen...

Two buckets worth? Must be hell of a lot of cats...
Set up some hidden cameras.
Reply 13
Yup, a hidden camera is the way to go. There are even some motion detector apps you can load on your smartphone, you can buy a little cheap camera stand if you want to keep the camera still. Load the app, if anyone comes along, you'll get some pics or video recorded. Check out Google Play for Android, I know nothing about iOS sadly.
Reply 14
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
Could anyone shed any light on this?

Once every few months, random puddle of water appears on our dining room floor. It's not like an accidental spillage either, it's huge, I'm guessing around two large buckets' worth of water. There isn't any mark on the ceiling, there are no doors surrounding it, and it's on the second floor. The room underneath has never had anything similar.

Usually it happens overnight, but I came home today and found the biggest one yet. No-one had been in the house since I left for school this morning, and it definitely wasn't there then.

Any ideas?

This happened to me, for months! I began to think I was spilling water in that same spot every so often :lol: I'll tell you what it was - it came up through the floor! The central heating had sprung a leak. At least I wasn't going mad. Was in my uni room.
Call your landlord...
Reply 16
No Idea, but one of these on your wall should suffice in preventing injury.
Caution-No-Diving-Sign-S-7073.gif
(edited 12 years ago)
Considering today has rained more than it has in months, is there a leaky window nearby? Is there a light fitting above which could let water through without staining the ceiling?
Reply 18
Original post by Frodo Baggins
Leave TSR you silly year 5.

haters gonna hate
Reply 19
ur pet is pissing itself

Latest

Trending

Trending