The Student Room Group

GCSE Geology - how do I revise?

Right, so I've got a Geology exam in mid May, which, now I think about, isn't far away at all!

I am with the WJEC examining board and the exam is done on the computer. There are no revision guides for this subject at GCSE and I have no idea how to revise. Is there anyone else doing this exam and does anyone have anything that could help me to revise?

Thanks,
Tommo96
Original post by Tommo96
Right, so I've got a Geology exam in mid May, which, now I think about, isn't far away at all!

I am with the WJEC examining board and the exam is done on the computer. There are no revision guides for this subject at GCSE and I have no idea how to revise. Is there anyone else doing this exam and does anyone have anything that could help me to revise?

Thanks,
Tommo96

hey, I have my GCSE geology exam on friday (Im assuming thats when yours is too) and its on the computer aswell, really scared about it because the only way to revise is to just read the textbook which is incredibly long and boring, Ive only been studying geology for a year so Im finding it really hard. Maybe we can help eachother out with revising? like Ill help you with things you stuggle with and vice versa?
Reply 2
I think I'm doing the same exam as you. I have to do really well in the exam because I don't think I did so great with my coursework thingy. All I have done is past papers and looked at questions that re occur often. Good luck, I don't think I'm going to do that great but its an extra subject so you can always ignore it if you do terribly (which I'm sure you wont :smile: )

REMEMBER TO RELAX (The knowledge is probably in there somwhere)
Original post by chsimps
i think i'm doing the same exam as you. I have to do really well in the exam because i don't think i did so great with my coursework thingy. All i have done is past papers and looked at questions that re occur often. Good luck, i don't think i'm going to do that great but its an extra subject so you can always ignore it if you do terribly (which i'm sure you wont :smile: )

remember to relax (the knowledge is probably in there somwhere)

good luck :smile:
I do the same board, but at AS Level...
Its a bit late now, but the OCR textbook is good for AS/A2 so it might be for GCSE aswell...
Do the past papers for the current spec, and any before that just for the practise.
My advice is to keep rewriting notes up, and talk to your friends, get them to test you etc.
Try mnemonics to help with lists such as the order of the geological periods (i'm not sure you need to know that one though? )
such as: Pregnant Camels Sit Down Carefully - Perhaps Their Joints Creak Terribly (then stick a Q for Quaternary on the end!)
Good luck!!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
What about O for Ordovician? :P
Sorry, Often Sit DOwn Carefull :biggrin:
Reply 7
I know this was a year ago, but I have that exam this year! Our teacher is not that good and our text book is very general so not much of it is on our syllabus! Could you maybe specify what was on the exam and what I should study? Because I have my mocks next week and I'm bricking it!
Emma fancy helping me? I am doing the same its so hard!
Alright emma, if you need someone to revise with for geology, I'm always up for the help and I can help you
Don't go with geology_trfc he is a very strange desperate boy!
Says you, you are an utter mug mate, who is curently cheating on his girlfriend you lizard!
Pete price is a lizard
So Emma up for some geology banter? :wink:
ha gaaaaayyyyy
^fags
Reply 16
Past papers. I have just done AS geol, never done gcse geol. Its a confussing subject at times, i like more structure and dont like estimated things, prob due to my autism lol. I found paper 1 ok, paper 2 the assignment i got 25/30 on and paper 3 was way easy. The reason i think i done better in paper 3 than 1, tho i prefer 1 which is physical geol, is that i done more past papers on it. I filled them in with marking scheme and i read and read and read them, mostly out loud so it sunk in more. My mum now knows lots on volcanoes from overhearing me lol. Keep a paper back and when you cant read anymore then sit the paper and see what your mark is and where you went wrong. Il defo use more past papers and reading out loud and highlighting stuff in my A level revision. I also found writting out and concising my notes right down helped too. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
There isn't much you can do ,Do you have a text book like understanding geology? What tends to be a decent idea is to make important notes and just go through the entire specification .what I've seen wejc(or whatever its called) have oddly specific questions relating to such as:what fossil is this . and then leaded up with what does this fossil show about the environment .
The exams normally have a set style and question type that pretty much mirrors the specification.
Learn the basics well and it will be easy to apply to questions and get some good marks .
Good luck and have fun (kidding)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending