The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Congrats jimbo23 - our first reserve promotion! Woo hoo!!!! :biggrin:

And congrats to lanza101 and oncewasastudent...

No waterproofs are really breathable if you're actually working up a sweat - you just end up wet from the inside rather than from the outside. Can recommend some of the cycling gear though - Sugoi and Montane do some nice light waterproofs that roll up and are reasonably breathable. Or buy a softshell that has some repellency - speaking from many days on the bike in the rain. To be honest, once you get past April, it's usually warm enough that it's easier just to embrace getting wet - so long as you've got something dry/warm to put on once you stop. So long as you're moving, it's amazing how warm you'll stay.
Reply 6861
Original post by lanza101
Woo hoo I finally got an acceptance:biggrin: for Paras Opening Ceremony high impact dance role YAY!!! 87-A anyone else do PM me. A lot of rehearsing goody I can really fit and I just got some www.SweatyBetty.com legwarmers! LOL

I auditioned for the olympics opening ceremony in feb and the 22 recall (as aforementioned) but we were told we'd be either OCC or paras. I had finally thought I'd skip away and was happy if it were a "no". Or that paras would clash with other projects but it doesn't. It does say you can't do Gamesmaker too so I shall cancel that. It fits with Ambassadors though, just.

I hope others get some good news! Yay yay yay I love the rain, so I'm off to dance in it now!:wink:

My mum just got an acceptance email for group 87 A too!!! :biggrin: She's thrilled!
I'm still hoping to get promoted from the reserve list... :frown:
Original post by cornishscot
Well that is some positive news, particularly for us as remaining RESERVES is it not very well done and all the best for a great experience taking part in the Closing Ceremony now. Wish I could join you (but probably can’t/won’t be) !

Having attended my first rehearsal, just to let you know that there were some "no shows" in my section plus a handful of Understudies.

The way I can see this working is that if the people who don't show end up not attending, the Understudies will (most probably) upgrade to "Cast" Status. Should this be the case, then I can imagine that Casting will look at the pool of "Reserves" to replace the Understudy roles. So I still feel that there is still hope.

Another reason why I think this could well be the case was during the rehearsals, I spoke to one of the Understudies who informed me that should a role become vacant (due to someone dropping out), as the Understudy has attended the rehearsals already, then they will be upgraded to "Cast".

Obviously, this is speculation on my part but I believe that this method would make sense from the Casting point of view because, as an Understudy, you are slotted in in various sections, whilst at the same time, you are memorising what your section is doing so that should a spot become available, you would already know the choreo / movement relating to the section you're in.

I THINK, that the Understudies remain in the same Segment and not be moved around from Segment to Segment because of this.

I still feel CornishScot that you and many of the Reserves are still in with a chance as the rehearsals have only just started.
Hi,

This is my first message, was in 22nd feb recall, now have a cast offer in Group 87A for para's opening ceremony. Absolutely thrilled. Was so depressed/supported by this group, am a NHS Nurse and old enough to be some folks granny! although I am also a pro dance teacher. So look forward to meeting my fellow 87A's and if you have not heard, I hope you gain some comfort from this. Such a long wait, but now so worth it.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: big cheesy grin!
Original post by THRILLEDNURSE
Hi,

This is my first message, was in 22nd feb recall, now have a cast offer in Group 87A for para's opening ceremony. Absolutely thrilled. Was so depressed/supported by this group, am a NHS Nurse and old enough to be some folks granny! although I am also a pro dance teacher. So look forward to meeting my fellow 87A's and if you have not heard, I hope you gain some comfort from this. Such a long wait, but now so worth it.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: big cheesy grin!

Congratulations nurse with the big cheesy grin - welcome aboard!:nurse:
Reply 6865
Original post by Lara5
My mum just got an acceptance email for group 87 A too!!! :biggrin: She's thrilled!

Many congratulations to today's lucky people. At least offers are slowly trickling out.
Get a bit scared to look on here now, or check my emails. The anticipation of 'yes' or 'no' is constant. :sigh: The continual 'no news' is excrutiating! :tumble: Casting must be extra busy now that rehearsals have started - how much longer is it going to take?
I have my next GM training on Saturday and I will be going with some slight reservation, which is a shame. I would like to feel 100% up for it. I thought that, by now, I would have heard either way from Casting and if it was a 'no' - then I would have felt (disappointed) but completely up for my GM training.
Ah well.........................:confused:
Hi,

Just the dose of medicine you needed today eh?
Original post by Eve 58
Many congratulations to today's lucky people. At least offers are slowly trickling out.
Get a bit scared to look on here now, or check my emails. The anticipation of 'yes' or 'no' is constant. :sigh: The continual 'no news' is excrutiating! :tumble: Casting must be extra busy now that rehearsals have started - how much longer is it going to take?
I have my next GM training on Saturday and I will be going with some slight reservation, which is a shame. I would like to feel 100% up for it. I thought that, by now, I would have heard either way from Casting and if it was a 'no' - then I would have felt (disappointed) but completely up for my GM training.

Good luck with GM training on Saturday (and I hope the sun shines again too by then for you) - I am doing my LA Module 2 training this weekend too and know exactly what you mean about mixed emotions but I am going to give it my best shot, come this far already and all that.
Original post by Dancerwoman
Having attended my first rehearsal, just to let you know that there were some "no shows" in my section plus a handful of Understudies.

The way I can see this working is that if the people who don't show end up not attending, the Understudies will (most probably) upgrade to "Cast" Status. Should this be the case, then I can imagine that Casting will look at the pool of "Reserves" to replace the Understudy roles. So I still feel that there is still hope.

Another reason why I think this could well be the case was during the rehearsals, I spoke to one of the Understudies who informed me that should a role become vacant (due to someone dropping out), as the Understudy has attended the rehearsals already, then they will be upgraded to "Cast".

Obviously, this is speculation on my part but I believe that this method would make sense from the Casting point of view because, as an Understudy, you are slotted in in various sections, whilst at the same time, you are memorising what your section is doing so that should a spot become available, you would already know the choreo / movement relating to the section you're in.

I THINK, that the Understudies remain in the same Segment and not be moved around from Segment to Segment because of this.

I still feel CornishScot that you and many of the Reserves are still in with a chance as the rehearsals have only just started.

Yes, that does sort of make sense from a planning perspective I agree.

Thanks for the support (that I might still get cast yet) meantime. We live in hope but, I am still thinking that, for me, this will probably be in the drumming team, if anything, given that's what my second and role specific audition was for, and that would be absolutely fine too. I most certainly do not feel in any shape or form that I am missing out on the dancing or acting rehearsals by not being cast yet, particularly in this weather (which is awful, specially today - I really feel for you that's having to make that journey to and from the rehearsal venue and hope they are looking after you when you get there, can;t have you all getting chills and colds can we?).

Feeling like this doesn't make the wait for news any easier (without any idea of dates at this stage specifically) - can't help feeling frustrated by that regardless of whether I have just reason to be anxious of otherwise. Wouldn't have done any harm to give us a few pointers on that score, and would certainly not have breached security for the casting team to have approached things this way.

Hey, but I guess you all know how I feel about this side of the arrangements so far by now. Please don't tell me (again) that I'm wrong for thinking this way as some on here have already tried. I will think exactly what I want to think thanks !
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6869
Original post by Lara5

Hi,

Lara5 and ThrilledNurse (go the NHS) absolutely great news. Fantastic :smile:
Original post by Lara5

Congratulations to your mum Lara5 !!!
Original post by Flakeydom
Congrats jimbo23 - our first reserve promotion! Woo hoo!!!! :biggrin:

So that's confirmed now eh? In which case .......... woo hoo indeed !
Reply 6872
Original post by Flakeydom

And congrats to lanza101 and oncewasastudent...

So long as you're moving, it's amazing how warm you'll stay.

Thankyou yes True- will get extra wear for my running rain gear- thanks for the recomms for good brands.
Reply 6873
Original post by Eve 58

Oh Eve58 please dont feel despondent, no news is good news and offers are coming albeit slowly. Please dont give up hope and hang on in there - you will hear soon I'm sure and hopefully it will be the news you want. Fingers (and toes) crossed :goodluck:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6874
Whoop whoop! A Reserve promotion - that's sooo encouraging! Well done and i'm so pleased for you! Unfortunately this means that I'll be 'refreshing my inbox' (so to speak!), twice as often as previously haha! x
Original post by geejohn
this means that I'll be 'refreshing my inbox' (so to speak!), twice as often as previously haha! x

Myes, it seems a few people got offers today. I'll be checking the old inbox quite regularly tomorrow too haha
Reply 6876
It's Jenny Sealey and Bradley Hemmings directing the Opening Ceremony for Paras.
http://www.london2012.com/games/ceremonies/the-creative-team/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Eve 58

Ooo Eve I really feel for you. I remember feeling the same way - unless you've been through it I don't think anyone can understand. Hang on in there and really enjoy the fantastic opportunity you've been given with your GM role. Chin up! ........ and that goes for RAFIKI, Galactica and all the others trying to keep sane during this impossible wait ..... we're all hoping for good news for all of you.:grouphugs:
Reply 6878
Hi,

Whoops! I was trying to like your post, but I'm on my iPhone reading tiny text. Massive. Congratulations to you and the others that have been cast today (yesterday?). Your excitement is palpable. Each ceremony is going to be spectacular. How lucky we all are to be a part of this!
Reply 6879
I accidentally disliked it