The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by ZeeBurb
I just got my rejection letter,

It was put very nicely, saying that there was nothing wrong with my interview or application, just that the number of applications increased by 15% this year.
And how if they oversubscribe by even one student, they could face bad consequences, which I do understand for such a small medical school.
They said that with such a strong application, they highly encourage me to re-apply in 2013 if I have no other offers.

They also mentioned that they have my name on the Reserve list, where after exam results they may offer out additional offers and call you to ask if you still want to come, basically going through clearing but with a guaranteed place I guess if they have places open from people missing grades...

The reserve list sounds like a post-post-interview hold list slightly though haha
Good luck everyone else, but this shows that even if you receive a rejection there is a possibility of an offer later.

Ah sorry to hear but I'm glad BSMS gives much better and empathetic responses than other schools.

For example, Leeds reason for rejecting me was: you're rejected because you're rejected. Lol
Reply 1401
Do you think thats it for the time being? Ie Have all the offers / rejections been given out for now ? The next offers woud be given out only if and when applicants with conditional offers fail to meet their requirements this summer?

😳
Original post by Ruby10
Do you think thats it for the time being? Ie Have all the offers / rejections been given out for now ? The next offers woud be given out only if and when applicants with conditional offers fail to meet their requirements this summer?

😳

Yeah pretty sure all offers have been given out now
Reply 1403
But what happens now if applicants from the post interview list with offers turn them down in the next few data/weeks? Will more offers from the post interview his list come out? What does that say about post interview hold applicants who have just been rejected ? 😢
when can we apply for accommodation?
Reply 1405
Original post by .eXe
Ah figured. I kept thinking that the deadline was in August for some reason. I'll just assume June for the time being. Better safe than sorry :smile:

Have you made your picks yet?

Yeah the deadline is the 8th of August - if memory serves me right - but that's just for BSMS students, don't forget that there are a whole load of other courses and thousands of other applicants. If you think about it, they couldn't possibly just start allocating rooms that close to the date the courses start.

Also, thought I might add something else they said. If you apply to a Brighton hall they will try to put you living next to other medics, if you apply to Sussex you will be spread around the halls. Just something else people might like to consider :smile:

At the moment my first choice is Paddocks Field - Catered!!, of course, me in the kitchen = fire brigade call seconds after :tongue:; Northfield and then Lewes Court. Still need to pick some more. Apparently minimum is 4 and max of 8 picks.

What about you? Do you need to get a 50 week contract?
Reply 1406
Original post by bluebells1234
when can we apply for accommodation?

You can apply for accommodation now. Did you get an email from Brighton Accommodation with your Applicant number?
Reply 1407
Original post by Ruby10
But what happens now if applicants from the post interview list with offers turn them down in the next few data/weeks? Will more offers from the post interview his list come out? What does that say about post interview hold applicants who have just been rejected ? 😢

Universities work in a way that they always make more offers than they have places, to take into account people declining offers and not making the grades.
Although, there is still a possibility that more offers might come out - very very soon as the deadline is fast approaching - this is very unlikely.

As positive as you may want to look at it, if you have been rejected, you will most probably stay that way unfortunately.

Just a sort of thumb statistic, unis make about 15% more offers than they have places. The offers given out from the post interview hold list were probably enough just to fill that 15% bracket, if say they were to rejected everyone from the list they would most likely still have more than enough offers per place anyway. Which is why it is almost impossible to get an offer after being rejected.

Sorry, if I didn't keep your hopes up. Just trying to be realistic. I know how tough it is to be rejected, was there last year with 4 rejections. :smile:
Reply 1408
Original post by Ruby10

������

Original post by andrewpeters
Yeah pretty sure all offers have been given out now

andrewpeters is right. I've never heard of any offers been given out after results day. There's always a first though... you never know.

IF a lot of people with conditional offers, and I mean A LOT fail to get their grades, then people who have been rejected MIGHT be in for a chance as mentioned in a post before. But guys, admission tutors are masters at their jobs, they know what they are doing. We hope.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1409
I'm beginning to wonder if they even used UKCAT...

Original post by .eXe
I don't think they did this year. On the website it was clear that they use the UKCAT for borderline candidates post interview, but I guess their policies changed this year.

I have to disagree, I'm sure they did, they would be stupid if they didn't. Maybe just maybe, they aren't one of them stupid med schools that solely base their offers on a ridiculous test. Say they had two excellent applicants but candidate 1 had a slightly more promising PS that would suit them just a tiny bit more than candidate 2; but candidate 2 had 15 points more in the UKCAT than candidate 1. Maybe they would consider that little interest seen in the PS more than they would 15 points in the UKCAT. Having said that, say the difference is 100 points perhaps they would think differently.

If they put less emphasis on the UKCAT, good on them. I'm glad some med schools are still sane. Just my opinion.
what is the difference between Lewis court 1 and Lewis court 2?
Original post by bluebells1234
what is the difference between Lewis court 1 and Lewis court 2?

Ensuites. Phase 2 has them, phase 1 doesn't. Oh, and price obviously.

I never lived there but have visited both; they are both pretty nice inside. They're maybe not the most social places, but that really depends more on you and your housemates rather than the set up of the halls :smile:

Original post by diurno
andrewpeters is right. I've never heard of any offers been given out after results day. There's always a first though... you never know.

There is one person in my year from the reserve list, so it does happen. It is still 1 in about 130 though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Is it just me or is anyone else phased by the number of halls to choose from? I can't get my bearings on the campus as to be honest, didn't really pay attention at the interview tour really, didn't think my interview went that well.
Is it just me or is anyone else phased by the number of halls to choose from? I can't get my bearings on the campus as to be honest, didn't really pay attention at the interview tour really, didn't think my interview went that well.

yepp i'm stuck on accommodation too
Reply 1414
Hi. I'm not very good at all this tech stuff. I'm a mother of one of the successful (yay!!!:smile:) applicants to BSMS ( who has no idea I have been trawling TSR trying to stay calm during all the stressful application process :biggrin:). I have left a heartfelt message for .exec on the other site you posted. Just invade you no longer visit it as you have now firmed your choice - please take one more look.
Good luck to you all. I have been so impressed by your comments and have lol and shed real tears too. ( I have also learnt a whole we language too btw!). If you were unsuccessful this time around and really have your heart set on becoming a doctor. - don't give up. My son didn't and this time around was given two offers I am so glad he will be studying with people like you .exec
Goodbye and good luck to you all. I think you are all smashing :smile::smile: and k ow you will make great doctors. Bye bye
Reply 1415
Sorry. Two typos: 'also learnt a whole new languagr'
And
Know you will make great doctors"
And:
'just Incase ( not invade!!!) you no longer visit'

Sorry

iPads do so much auto correction. I Learnt Pitmans Shorthand and Typing on Casio typewriter, carbon copy paper and Tipex( oh dear- ask your mums ) :colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 1416

Why has .exec got banned above us name?
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Nope :nah:
I'm going to Barts and The London.. just wanted to watch what happens at other applications.. and I might be able to answer questions (but I don't know that much about BSMS atm I'm afraid :colondollar:)

This is amazing! What did you send as your predicted grades (In UCAS)?
Anyone worried they might not get the grades? My only concern is biology, it's not that I don't know or understand the content, just the way the exam is written hence the numerous protests against the exam board :/
Reply 1419
hi. Just wanted to say thank you for your kind reposes. Actually I am a mom f a nw (successful ( yay!!!![)]Universities work in a way that they always make more offers than they have places, to take into account people declining offers and not making the grades.
Although, there is still a possibility that more offers might come out - very very soon as the deadline is fast approaching - this is very unlikely.

As positive as you may want to look at it, if you have been rejected, you will most probably stay that way unfortunately.

Just a sort of thumb statistic, unis make about 15% more offers than they have places. The offers given out from the post interview hold list were probably enough just to fill that 15% bracket, if say they were to rejected everyone from the list they would most likely still have more than enough offers per place anyway. Which is why it is almost impossible to get an offer after being rejected.

Sorry, if I didn't keep your hopes up. Just trying to be realistic. I know how tough it is to be rejected, was there last year with 4 rejections. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending