The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skunky x
Or do a me and miss revision sessions to do what I'm calling 'On site revision'.

Alas I cannot, somehow I don't think the British Museum could be used as 'on site revision' for Land Law. :frown:
dissertation written :woo: :woo:
Original post by beesbees
dissertation written :woo: :woo:

:party2::party: well done
Original post by RedDragon
Alas I cannot, somehow I don't think the British Museum could be used as 'on site revision' for Land Law. :frown:

Ahahah. Fair enough. Lectured my boyfriend all about it causing him to have a nose bleed nearly all over a sarcophagus and the rosetta stone. Fun times in the British Museum.

On the plus side IT WAS AMAZING. Will do it again and just focus more on the bits I want instead of walking around aimlessly. The boyfriend pointed out my nose is exactly the same as 'this roman bloke over here'. 'this roman bloke' turned out to be Augustus, so I'm not annoyed. Quite proud of my Roman nose =].

A rather nose related day.
Reply 1744
Any ideas about phychosomatics in Classical Athens? Just wondering whether this chap in a speech might be doing so badly not only because of his bad health, but also because an experience really got to him. Or rather, whether the ancients would have thought that that was possible.
Original post by Sappho
Any ideas about phychosomatics in Classical Athens? Just wondering whether this chap in a speech might be doing so badly not only because of his bad health, but also because an experience really got to him. Or rather, whether the ancients would have thought that that was possible.

Erm not very helpful but I remember coming across a German dissertation on this sort of stuff re: Greek performance culture a while ago, so there must be a body of literature? If its not mad urgent I can check some of my old notes on the rhetors, law and lawcourts later if that would help. I guess your best bet is comparing various commentaries? If not and you have reasons to believe it, push it yourself.

Though bear in mind the role of logographers in the speech writing process, the fact that you're dealing with a specific, written and revised, speech etc. I bet the Carey book in general will help.
Reply 1746
Original post by The Lyceum
Erm not very helpful but I remember coming across a German dissertation on this sort of stuff re: Greek performance culture a while ago, so there must be a body of literature? If its not mad urgent I can check some of my old notes on the rhetors, law and lawcourts later if that would help. I guess your best bet is comparing various commentaries? If not and you have reasons to believe it, push it yourself.

Though bear in mind the role of logographers in the speech writing process, the fact that you're dealing with a specific, written and revised, speech etc. I bet the Carey book in general will help

Sometimes I wonder how you think get on if you assume I might have missed something like this :tongue:

Well, that's exactly my point, that Demosthenes might be wanting to show that the guy making his speech is such a poor sensitive little boy. It's not that important actually, and my lecturer is a bit gullible anyway, so I'll just claim it, put a quotation, and she'll believe it :colone:
Original post by Sappho
Sometimes I wonder how you think get on if you assume I might have missed something like this :tongue:

Well, that's exactly my point, that Demosthenes might be wanting to show that the guy making his speech is such a poor sensitive little boy. It's not that important actually, and my lecturer is a bit gullible anyway, so I'll just claim it, put a quotation, and she'll believe it :colone:

What speech of Demosthenes' is it?
Original post by Sappho

Reply 1749
Original post by toronto353

54 against Konon.
Original post by Sappho

Just reviewing, that's all. :tongue:

Basically you could use the scene from Wasps where the old men are bragging about how much power they have/enjoying the show to point that kind of stuff out. Also, if you look at Lysias on the murder of Eratosthenes (Lys. 1?) you can see quite a bit of logical gaps here and there, which suggest that the logographer is trying to create a specific persona in order to play to the audience.

the Konon speech (where he eats the testes or kicks the crap out of someone and crows like chicken? either way he was a massive dickhead) definitely follows these lines. I think its generally recognisable actually. It might be useful drawing up a handbook of tropes if you're doing a lot of work with speeches, it really highlights a lot of this stuff.

Aww man Konon was such a dude though, I definitely took his side for some things.
Can anyone lend me a hand?

I'm writing an essay on Why geographical descriptions were more important than maps in the Latin west, primarily focusing on the Classical period. (We can do Classical, Early Antique/Early Med., Late Med., Early Modern).

Now one of my arguments was going to go that descriptions could protray the ideas and facts known that a map could not show, one of which was that the Earth was spherical. I did have down Martianus Capella for this (Book VI- although I'm not too sure how his works actually work as the part that says it is [590-595] which as Book VI starts somewhere else in the 500s then I assume it was just one long narrative split into the chapters by him.)

Anyway, can anyone reconmmend me where else in Latin literature it was said that the Earth was spherical? Has to be in Latin as it is for my Latin module.

Edit: Looking back at the bibliography the tutor has it written that Capella was writing in the Classical period so as he'll be the one marking it (pretty certain it will be) then it should be fine to use him afterall. I just need to find him in Latin now. Not on Peruses which is annoying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1752
Does anyone know what this ring says?

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-14115583/FDWR2.jpg.html
Reply 1753
hello,

please can anyone of you guys help me. i really really need some help on my A2 revision for the aenied! how to get a good mark? i keep reading the story but i cant get my head round it as it is so long :s-smilie: i'm really panicking about this exam in two weeks, i also don't know anything about augustus, does anyone have any notes or anything they want to share?

please please please, im really stressing.

can exchange any notes in return!
Reply 1754
Original post by tsveta
hello,

please can anyone of you guys help me. i really really need some help on my A2 revision for the aenied! how to get a good mark? i keep reading the story but i cant get my head round it as it is so long :s-smilie: i'm really panicking about this exam in two weeks, i also don't know anything about augustus, does anyone have any notes or anything they want to share?

I sometimes find podcasts helpful when I just can't look at my books any more. Try the Caesar Augustus one in the "The History of Rome" podcast on iTunes for example. There's also stuff on the Aeneid, just browse through podcasts and iTunesU. You might also have a look at this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Aeneid-York-Notes-Advanced/dp/0582431549

Good luck!
Original post by tsveta
hello,

The York Notes should be good if you want a quick book-by-book summary. It provides you with an account of the cultural background as well. If you're struggling to translate it, I'd recommend Pharr: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aeneid-Bks-1-6-Virgil/dp/0865164215/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336945273&sr=1-1 .

Good luck!
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the impending exams that most of you have, hope all goes well and that the revision isn't too, y'know, soul-sapping!

I'm in an uncharacteristically good mood today, as I've just been offered a new job. :biggrin:
Original post by jismith1989
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the impending exams that most of you have, hope all goes well and that the revision isn't too, y'know, soul-sapping!

I'm in an uncharacteristically good mood today, as I've just been offered a new job. :biggrin:

oh, congratulations! What job is it?

Thanks for your wishes...I can't wait for this year to end :frown:
btw anyone going to Cambridge next year?? Hopefully, if everything goes well with exams, I 'll be starting my PhD at Peterhouse. I cannot wait :smile: I fell in love with the place when I visited for the interview.
Original post by *Corinna*
oh, congratulations! What job is it?

Thanks for your wishes...I can't wait for this year to end :frown:
Well, I'm going to be working as a web developer. I've, as you may be aware, always been a bit of a geek, so I know a few programming languages anyway, and the work's reasonably well paid and not too taxing, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. Plus it's not too far from where I live, in the same buildings where the BBC's moved to up here.

Aww, finding it all very stressful? I'm sure you'll be able to breathe easy once the exams are over. And it sounds like good news that you've got a PhD lined up too. Bene vale! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending