The Student Room Group

OCR AS Law exam - Sources of Law- May 30th

Hey I couldn't find a recent/previous thread for this exam so thought I'd create one. Just if anyone has any revision notes/useful websites/ideas and thoughts on questions then we could help each other out! :smile:

Looking at the topics that have came up on Past Papers;
Stat. Int = comes up every January since '09 (4 times)
Judicial Prec. = comes up 2009, 10, 11, 11 (4 times)
Legislation = comes up 2009, 10, 11 (3 times)
EU = comes up 2009, 2010, 2012 (3 times)

... From this I have a horrible feeling (just a guess!) that EU law and Legislation will be the questions for us. My teacher isn't even teaching us EU law in depth because she says it's too hard/we're better off focusing on others...

How's everybody feeling about it? How much revision have you done? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the paper in january and trust me if delegated legislation comes up you might aswell start dancing in the exam hall, its by far the easiest. Did you do your English Legal System in January then?
My think your paper will be precedent and legislation since eu law and SI came up in jan but who knows: )
Reply 2
Original post by deano0417
I did the paper in january and trust me if delegated legislation comes up you might aswell start dancing in the exam hall, its by far the easiest. Did you do your English Legal System in January then?
My think your paper will be precedent and legislation since eu law and SI came up in jan but who knows: )

As long as EU doesn't come up I'll be happy! I find SI the easiest though.
Yes, I did the English Legal System in January, you may have found what questions came up in January 2012 already, but if not then I wrote down what they were (incase I needed to resit), if it helps:

Section A:
ADR (on mediation), police powers (on street arrests), juries (their role and dis/advantages), then solicitors and judges (didn't do those 2 so didn't write down what on).
Section B:
sentencing (youth+adult custodial), and civil courts (didn't do- don't remember what it was on).

And if you're not even taking that paper this time around, hopefully someone else will find it useful :smile: Thanks for the info though!

In January I had "exceptional circumstances" but managed to scrape a C, meaning I need a grade A this time around to scrape a B overall (I might resit English Legal next January to boost my grade though) :smile:
Reply 3
Ah fair dos, my college sat Sources of Law in january and I managed to get 85% but I sort of need to pull my UMS upto 90% (Cambridge) So hoping to do as well as I can on this next module as its worth 60%.
Reply 4
Well done to you then! I was hoping to end up in Durham but I'm not sure what they'll think after I only got C's in January, even with the circumstances and such, so gutted! Good luck in your next module then, I personally think the content of ELS is far easier anyway :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Perceptive
As long as EU doesn't come up I'll be happy! I find SI the easiest though.
Yes, I did the English Legal System in January, you may have found what questions came up in January 2012 already, but if not then I wrote down what they were (incase I needed to resit), if it helps:

Section A:
ADR (on mediation), police powers (on street arrests), juries (their role and dis/advantages), then solicitors and judges (didn't do those 2 so didn't write down what on).
Section B:
sentencing (youth+adult custodial), and civil courts (didn't do- don't remember what it was on).

And if you're not even taking that paper this time around, hopefully someone else will find it useful :smile: Thanks for the info though!

In January I had "exceptional circumstances" but managed to scrape a C, meaning I need a grade A this time around to scrape a B overall (I might resit English Legal next January to boost my grade though) :smile:

Hey.. you know you said in jan 2012 street arrests came up in the police powers question do you mean powers of arrest or stop and search??
Reply 6
Original post by jk122
Hey.. you know you said in jan 2012 street arrests came up in the police powers question do you mean powers of arrest or stop and search??

Powers of arrest (95% sure, I didn't write that part down, sorry) :redface:
Reply 7
thank you
Reply 8
do you guys have any idea what topics may come up? i have a feeling it could be judicial precedent :frown:
Reply 9
I think your looking at a Delegated Legislation/Judicial Precedent paper :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by deano0417
I think your looking at a Delegated Legislation/Judicial Precedent paper :smile:

I completely agree with this. At a push, they might substitute one of them for EU law. I'm pretty sure SI won't come up though (unfortunately!) :redface:
Reply 11
I really hope eu law doesnt come up its the hardest one out of all of them im not even going to bother learning it :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by jk122
I really hope eu law doesnt come up its the hardest one out of all of them im not even going to bother learning it :biggrin:

same, my teacher has only went through it briefly and told us not to bother, so I'm just focusing on the other 3 :biggrin:
What about Acts of Parliament? That came up in June last year with JP, but it hardly comes up I believe. Delegated legislation is easy and will hopefully come up then.
Reply 14
Do we need to apply all our answers to the sources? and if so how do we do that like do we quote it from the source?? im so confused ive done nothing on this unit :colondollar:
Original post by jk122
Do we need to apply all our answers to the sources? and if so how do we do that like do we quote it from the source?? im so confused ive done nothing on this unit :colondollar:

Only quote the source if it says so in the question. You just really need to put something so they know you've looked at it, it will be on the topic of your question, so if it was on the problems of precedent you may say.
"As stated in source B there are many problems with Precedent other than (whatever it says in the source) but courts have ways to deal with these"

Not how helpful that was but feel free to ask more :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Harriet : )
Only quote the source if it says so in the question. You just really need to put something so they know you've looked at it, it will be on the topic of your question, so if it was on the problems of precedent you may say.
"As stated in source B there are many problems with Precedent other than (whatever it says in the source) but courts have ways to deal with these"

Not how helpful that was but feel free to ask more :smile:

Ohh ok so we dont copy out chunks of the source just kinda summarise it in our answers.. also how do we structure the questions eg do we need a introduction and conclusion on every question or just go straight into the answer? :biggrin:
Original post by jk122
Ohh ok so we dont copy out chunks of the source just kinda summarise it in our answers.. also how do we structure the questions eg do we need a introduction and conclusion on every question or just go straight into the answer? :biggrin:

No not really, just saying something with reference to the source so the examiner knows you've read and understand it :smile: Pretty much just go straight into it, it doesn't need that much of an introduction, say you were doing delegated legislation, you could say " There are many uses of legislation, not all can appropriatly be made by parliament, consequently we have delegated legislation..." You don't really need a conclusion in all fairness, they won't mark you down for it :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Harriet : )
No not really, just saying something with reference to the source so the examiner knows you've read and understand it :smile: Pretty much just go straight into it, it doesn't need that much of an introduction, say you were doing delegated legislation, you could say " There are many uses of legislation, not all can appropriatly be made by parliament, consequently we have delegated legislation..." You don't really need a conclusion in all fairness, they won't mark you down for it :smile:

Greatt thanks for your help.. are you sitting this exam in may also have you done English legal system?? i have both in may :frown:
Original post by jk122
Greatt thanks for your help.. are you sitting this exam in may also have you done English legal system?? i have both in may :frown:

I sat source of law in january :smile: and am sitting ELS in may- I really feel for you- both in May is a hell of a lot to remember :/ I have something that might help- I made a resource for all the topic that can come up cases and AOP you need/ are helpful to know- I'll post them for you, let me know if they were any good :smile:

The ELS one has a few gaps in as I haven't covered those topics yet :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest