The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9840
I've got an offer to study maths and economics at both Edinburgh and Bristol but am having a hard time deciding, Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply 9841
Original post by tjunior
Can anyone help me choose between Bristol and nottingham for straight economics. i am really confused
thank you

Original post by JayXVIII
I've got an offer to study maths and economics at both Edinburgh and Bristol but am having a hard time deciding, Anyone have any suggestions?

You both have hard decisions, because it is not clear cut. I would personally choose where you think you will have the most fun and where you liked the feel of better, as there really isn't a lot in it!
Original post by JayXVIII

I had the same choice and I chose Edinburgh (for straight Econ).
Hello Everyone,

I have offers for Economics & Statistics at UCL, and Economics & Maths at LSE. After going to the open day, i prefer UCL over LSE.

However, I am getting mixed opinions from family/friends, with many focusing on the brand name of LSE.

Would I be put at much of a disadvantage at picking UCL over LSE?

Kind Regards,

David
Original post by stackemup
Hello Everyone,

I have offers for Economics & Statistics at UCL, and Economics & Maths at LSE. After going to the open day, i prefer UCL over LSE.

However, I am getting mixed opinions from family/friends, with many focusing on the brand name of LSE.

Kind Regards,

David

You prefer UCL, so pick UCL.
Reply 9845
Hello Everyone,

Kind Regards,

David

For the last time no you will not be at a noticeable disadvantage. LSE has the better brand name, UCL also has an excellent brand and reputation, the slight disparity will have no bearing on your prospects. Stop worrying about whether or not the lay-person on the street will say wow at your degree and choose the one you prefer!
If we had a pound for every time someone asked this. Brand name really won't matter that much in the real world.

In other news, recession :cry2:
Hello Everyone,

Kind Regards,

David

Why does almost everyone who asks a question like this, almost always go for the more prestigious choice, kinda seems like a futile question:unimpressed:
Would I be able to make a competitive app for Economics at Durham, Bristol or Edinburgh with A*A*A* (Maths, Economics, Sociology) as a post A2 applicant and taking Further Maths in my gap year, but with only AAAAABBBCC at GCSE?
Reply 9849
Original post by Scorcher
Would I be able to make a competitive app for Economics at Durham, Bristol or Edinburgh with A*A*A* (Maths, Economics, Sociology) as a post A2 applicant and taking Further Maths in my gap year, but with only AAAAABBBCC at GCSE?

Possibly not so much Durham and Bristol due to GCSEs, but you have 5 choices so there's harm in trying one or both of them. And of course if you get 3 A*s that would help a great deal and if you get a decent grade at further maths that could help balance the choice of sociology (which is not particularly favoured). Did you do a 4th AS subject?
Reply 9850

Seeing as you've already achieved your A levels, I'd bank on you getting an offer from Durham with those grades - in fact, with those grades, an (presumably) an A* prediction for FM, I imagine you would certainly be automatically pooled for Cambridge (which is useful if your interview goes badly).
Reply 9851
Original post by Brand New Eyes
If we had a pound for every time someone asked this. Brand name really won't matter that much in the real world.

In other news, recession :cry2:

Exactly, no one gives a toss in reality!

Flatlining :wink:

Original post by Tsunami2011
Why does almost everyone who asks a question like this, almost always go for the more prestigious choice, kinda seems like a futile question:unimpressed:

Exactly. It truly amazes me. Still no one has been able to answer me what doors you would close by turning down LSE for UCL/Warwick :laugh:

Absolutely. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Reply 9852
Original post by FDR
Seeing as you've already achieved your A levels, I'd bank on you getting an offer from Durham with those grades - in fact, with those grades, an (presumably) an A* prediction for FM, I imagine you would certainly be automatically pooled for Cambridge (which is useful if your interview goes badly).

Being autopooled for economics at Cambridge isn't something to look forward to, it happens to so many people that your chance after being pooled is worse than when you originally applied (for most colleges).
Original post by Trizzle
Possibly not so much Durham and Bristol due to GCSEs, but you have 5 choices so there's harm in trying one or both of them. And of course if you get 3 A*s that would help a great deal and if you get a decent grade at further maths that could help balance the choice of sociology (which is not particularly favoured). Did you do a 4th AS subject?

Original post by FDR

Original post by Tateco

Absolutely. Ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Thanks for the advice. I get so put off reading TSR and seeing everyone with A*'s in literally everything.

I never had any ambition in life and went to a **** state school in London where nobody cared about school including me, but as soon as I moved to a good sixth form college I started enjoying it more. I didn't revise for any of my GCSE exams, literally didn't open a single book or do a single past paper, so I always get depressed that those exams could determine my future when things have changed so much since then for me. Re assuring that good A Levels can partly make up for average GCSE's though!

Again, thanks for the advice lads.
Reply 9854
Original post by thegenius31416
I had the same choice and I chose Edinburgh (for straight Econ).

thegenius31416 can I just ask why you chose Edinburgh over Bristol?
Hello Everyone,

Kind Regards,

David

surely this comes down to whether you want to do Stats or Maths.

this is personal preference really as they're different courses.
Reply 9856
Hello Everyone,

Kind Regards,

David

Well, if you prefer UCL it looks like you've made your choice. Personally, I went for LSE Maths & Econ over UCL Econ as my insurance. Walker.Prince chose LSE over UCL too. COME TO THE DARK SIDE.

But seriously, you seem like you've made your mind up. Which ever you pick, I'm sure you'll be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9857
Original post by Tateco
Being autopooled for economics at Cambridge isn't something to look forward to, it happens to so many people that your chance after being pooled is worse than when you originally applied (for most colleges).

It's not something to look forward too, but that isn't what I was getting at - I was saying that with A2 grades that the poster had, he would very likely get an interview, and in the absolute worse case scenario (he completely messes up his interview) he gets pooled - and given the fact that he would already have a couple of A*s at A2, and possibly predicted a third, if he was autopooled, he would still be in a relatively decent position.
Original post by FDR
It's not something to look forward too, but that isn't what I was getting at - I was saying that with A2 grades that the poster had, he would very likely get an interview, and in the absolute worse case scenario (he completely messes up his interview) he gets pooled - and given the fact that he would already have a couple of A*s at A2, and possibly predicted a third, if he was autopooled, he would still be in a relatively decent position.

Not many people are fished out of the pool though

say hello to the new leader of the World Bank
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Not many people are fished out of the pool though

say hello to the new leader of the World Bank

Interestong, at my school of the (approx.) 7 pooled only 1 wasn't fished (had another interview but didn't get an offer :frown:)

Latest

Trending

Trending