The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I confirmed Aquatic Zoology at Hull a few weeks ago. Only just found this place!
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Can someone tell me what the gym facilities/classes are like? There's not much on the website, and I'd really like to know. :smile:
Reply 302
Original post by DoubleNegative
Can someone tell me what the gym facilities/classes are like? There's not much on the website, and I'd really like to know. :smile:

The gym facilities are pretty standard really, it's not a huge gym. I was a member there for my first semester but this semester I've moved to the fitness first on clough road because it's bigger and nearer to where I live.
Reply 303

Pretty dire to be honest... It's okay if you want to focus purely on cardio but there isn't a lot for anything else... you'd be better off joining a sports team (if that's your interest) and then going to the Clough Road gym or the Beverley Road Gym would be your best option.
Original post by Keckers
The gym facilities are pretty standard really, it's not a huge gym. I was a member there for my first semester but this semester I've moved to the fitness first on clough road because it's bigger and nearer to where I live.

Original post by Samus2
Pretty dire to be honest... It's okay if you want to focus purely on cardio but there isn't a lot for anything else... you'd be better off joining a sports team (if that's your interest) and then going to the Clough Road gym or the Beverley Road Gym would be your best option.

Thanks guys. :smile: I might give the Clough Road gym a look, since you've both mentioned it. I'll probably join a sports team too though. Thanks again for the help though. :smile:
Reply 305
Thanks guys. :smile: I might give the Clough Road gym a look, since you've both mentioned it. I'll probably join a sports team too though. Thanks again for the help though. :smile:

It's pretty good - about 10 minutes away from uni, it's 11.99 for students per month with a 10 pound joining fee but there's no contract length and no notice needed when cancelling. It's a modern gym. If you wanted to go swimming though I'd recommend the Bev Road baths gym - £25 a month but access to gym and pool.
Confirmed place for Zoology anyone else, doing biologcal sciences?
Original post by Samus2
It's pretty good - about 10 minutes away from uni, it's 11.99 for students per month with a 10 pound joining fee but there's no contract length and no notice needed when cancelling. It's a modern gym. If you wanted to go swimming though I'd recommend the Bev Road baths gym - £25 a month but access to gym and pool.

Sounds like a good deal. I'll definitely check them both out, but probably closer to the time. :P Thanks for all your help though, I'll keep it in mind. :smile:
Reply 308
Hello! Just firmed Politics and International Relations at Hull for ABB a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering whether anyone else firmed it too?

Also, are they strict about the entry requirements? I got BBB at AS....

:cool:
Original post by ThisaraD
Hello! Just firmed Politics and International Relations at Hull for ABB a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering whether anyone else firmed it too?

i chose it as my firm (but i'm doing film studies) and i was wondering the same thing! my offer says i have to get 300 points with a minimum of a B in film studies, but at the applicant day they said anywhere between 260-300!
have you been there btw? i'm trying so hard to get the grades, it looks so good honestly i'm so excited!
Reply 310

Hey there, I am currently in my first year at Hull Uni. My flat-mate is currently studying international relations. He needed ABB to get in and he got BBB at A-level and got in fine. I was 20 points short myself and managed to get in to do Accounting and Financial Management so they are quite lenient with the ucas score so i think you will be fine. If you have any other questions then feel free to message me or i can chat to my flat-mate if you wanted to talk about the course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 311
Original post by EmmaStokess
i chose it as my firm (but i'm doing film studies) and i was wondering the same thing! my offer says i have to get 300 points with a minimum of a B in film studies, but at the applicant day they said anywhere between 260-300!
have you been there btw? i'm trying so hard to get the grades, it looks so good honestly i'm so excited!

I know, I can't wait to go either! Hopefully we might meet up there at some point! :smile: The course looked absolutely spectacular, which is why I was so easily convinced to turn down Sheffield, even with it's amazing rep. Internet Hi-5! :smile:

I have indeed, the open day was probably one of the best experiences I've ever had, and considering I thought my cat was being put down back at home, I find it utterly remarkable that I managed to enjoy going to Hull so much. Luckily he's downstairs destroying aesthetic figurines now. ^_^

Any idea what kind of accommodation you're going for?! :smile:

Original post by Jomow
Hey there, I am currently in my first year at Hull Uni. My flat-mate is currently studying international relations. He needed ABB to get in and he got BBB at A-level and got in fine. I was 20 points short myself and managed to get in to do Accounting and Financial Management so they are quite lenient with the ucas score so i think you will be fine. If you have any other questions then feel free to message me or i can chat to my flat-mate if you wanted to talk about the course.

Oh brilliant, thank you. That is SUCH a relief. Hopefully I'll be able to get those grades. Thanks so much for taking the trouble, and now that you mention it, I was wondering what are the gym prices like? Not that I'm remotely healthy, but I figure I may as well get balance out the extortionate amount of binge drinking I intend to do! :smile:
Hello, I firmed Hull for Human Biology last week. My offer is unconditional so it's just a waiting game! Anybody else doing Human Bio?
Reply 313

Oh brilliant, thank you. That is SUCH a relief. Hopefully I'll be able to get those grades. Thanks so much for taking the trouble, and now that you mention it, I was wondering what are the gym prices like? Not that I'm remotely healthy, but I figure I may as well get balance out the extortionate amount of binge drinking I intend to do! :smile:

Hey, yeah you will need to do some exercise to counter the amount of drinking you will do, especially in freshers where i expect you out every night :wink:

The Uni gym is about £20 a month i believe and £200 for a full years membership. There is a fitness first about 10 minutes away from the uni which a lot of people go to as well but im not sure about the prices on that.
Reply 314
Original post by Jomow
Hey, yeah you will need to do some exercise to counter the amount of drinking you will do, especially in freshers where i expect you out every night :wink:

The Uni gym is about £20 a month i believe and £200 for a full years membership. There is a fitness first about 10 minutes away from the uni which a lot of people go to as well but im not sure about the prices on that.

Actually the university gym is only £99 for the year if you are a member of the AU (athletic union-play on any sports teams) but its £179 if you aren't a member, basically AU members get an £80 discount.
Just firmed Hull :smile:
Reply 316
Original post by Jomow

Original post by Mr. OG
Actually the university gym is only £99 for the year if you are a member of the AU (athletic union-play on any sports teams) but its £179 if you aren't a member, basically AU members get an £80 discount.

Brilliant! Thanks so much for the info, though I doubt that I'd be good enough to get onto any sports teams - My greatest sporting achievement is just about qualifying for the discus at sports day in Year 10 and javelin in Year 11, and I came last... Both times... :'(

Original post by Darkphilosopher
Just firmed Hull :smile:

Awesome, I shall see you there! Hopefully....
I got a conditional offer for a PGCE course in Hull, I need to do a French extension course in the summer and get a C in GCSE Maths. Sounds terrifying!!!!! :eek:
fingers crossed!
Reply 318
Hey all,

Currently stuck between a rock and a hard place in deciding on my insurance place, with Hull being one of the two choices. Just wondering if anybody has a run-down of the compulsory and optional modules on the Marine and Freshwater Biology (C163) course, I've been looking but I'm only finding a general description of the course. If anybody has any info on this, it'd be much appreciated!

Original post by codyh
Hey all,

Currently stuck between a rock and a hard place in deciding on my insurance place, with Hull being one of the two choices. Just wondering if anybody has a run-down of the compulsory and optional modules on the Marine and Freshwater Biology (C163) course, I've been looking but I'm only finding a general description of the course. If anybody has any info on this, it'd be much appreciated!

I have a offer for a zoology course and i know first year all the modules are the same between most of the marine and zoo courses (:

Quick Reply

Latest