The Student Room Group

hill start help

ive been learning to drive for nearly 2 months in my instructors car...its a diesel car btw. i never stall unless i panick for whatever reason. i went out in my mums car for about 30 mins today and i stalled numerous times especially on slopes and hills!

ive heard that diesel cars are alot more forgiving which is probably why i find my instructors car easier to drive in and why i stall more in my mums petrol car.

my test is in just under 7 weeks so i need to get my driving up to standard!

just need help or advice on what to do when driving a petrol car and i want to do a hill start or start on slope? like is there a technique to it? i tried applying more gas but still stalled and i quickly got flustered as kept holding up traffic.

any tips would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
You're doing the right thing, you just need more practice! Don't get nervous or panic, you have to realise that you CAN drive the car and you're more than capable of starting it on a hill. Apply more gas definitely, but overcompensate - apply lots of gas and really rev that engine as you bring the clutch to the biting point, releasing the handbrake. You have to keep revs high because that car is trying to get up a hill! Once you've done a few you'll master it and then you'll know how much gas to give it in future.
Hope that helps, but overall, keep your confidence up!!!
Steve
Reply 2
Keep practising.

My mum found the steepest possible hill in a 30 minute proximity of my house, I was forced to do 15 hill starts before dinner.

Biggest tip from me is keep a hand on the handbrake, as you hit the bite point, slowly release the handbrake. If you use this tip you should theoretically never roll back.
Just to explain this a bit more, come off of the clutch slowly, applying enough gas (with your hand/thumb pressing in the handbrake), then as you get to the bite point release push your thumb in and release the handbrake, come off of the clutch and accelerate.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies. My mum tried to explain it but didn't do a very good job so needed to ask. I'll definately use the advice given here..I guess I need to find a quiet hill somewhere aswell and practise more. Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sparklees
ive been learning to drive for nearly 2 months in my instructors car...its a diesel car btw. i never stall unless i panick for whatever reason. i went out in my mums car for about 30 mins today and i stalled numerous times especially on slopes and hills!

ive heard that diesel cars are alot more forgiving which is probably why i find my instructors car easier to drive in and why i stall more in my mums petrol car.

just need help or advice on what to do when driving a petrol car and i want to do a hill start or start on slope? like is there a technique to it? i tried applying more gas but still stalled and i quickly got flustered as kept holding up traffic.

I would set the engine speed to 2500 rpm, find the biting point, gently release the handbrake and be prepared to come off the gas if necessary. Its ok to rev harder at first, you do get better at it. I find I can't get it all done smoothly so I end up killing any momentum and have to start again :frown:
Reply 5
I had the same problem. First time I drove a petrol car I stalled 4 times in a row on the same hill start at the front of a line of traffic. Mortifying! The people who couldn't see L plates were all beeping behind me! Unfortunately my car doesn't have a revs dial so I have to guess! I prefer to set the bite with the cluth then apply the gas before releasing the handbrake. Works for me anyway. Takes some practice to do hill starts but you will get it :smile:
Reply 6
I apologies if I go over anything that's already been said as I've not read through other peoples replies.

I'm also in the process of learning to drive, and like you, I've found there to be quite a difference between driving my instructors car which and driving my mum's car of which we're going to be sharing when I pass.

I think the main thing to remember is that you're not used to your mum's car, I've been learning for about 5 months (I only have a one hour lesson a week, so it takes longer) after about 4 months I got insured on mum's car, and couldn't wait to get in it and show the rents what I could do! Thinking i'd be able to drive it completely fine, I actually found it pretty strange and challenging, and often stalled etc at first! This was because I was so used to my instructors car, the bite, clutch control etc is completely different to my mum's car.

Also, there's a huge difference between the bite point in a petrol car then there is to a diesel.

However, do not worry, you'll get used to it within a few drives! :smile:
Reply 7
thanks for the replies alot of useful info here. im hoping i'll get the hang of driving my mums car quickly as if i pass my test i'll be going on her insurance and will be driving her car now and again. when im able to get my own car though i'll definately be opting for a diesel car instead. thanks again and i hope i get the hang of it soon!
Select 1st gear, with handbrake on, and push the gas until the revs needle is steady, and release the clutch slowly until the revs drop a little. Then add some more gas, release the handbrake and SLOWLY let the clutch up. You don't have to speed off. You can keep the clutch held, but just above the biting point (when the needle drops) until you are moving, then release the clutch slowly and completely.

Try it on flat ground first.
To put it simply, it's a case of getting the gas/clutch to the point where the car just really wants to go forwards. Don't just find the biting point, make sure the car is wanting to move, and then drop the handbrake without adjusting your feet.

Practise on a hill with no parked cars if you can. The thought of running into whatever's behind you is offputting if you're not used to it.
Reply 10
Original post by Sparklees

hahaha this is exactly me!!When I drive my mums car I stall SO bad.I've found that it needs a lot of gas when setting off whereas when I drive my own diesel car it just needs a tiny a bit as its already chugging just when you reach bite.Its just driving different cars are different.Youll get used to it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending