The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurarachelle
Hey guys! I have a question if any of you are up for it...
If you had to rank the halls from quietest to busiest/loudest, what would your order be??

I'm coming on exchange and it says on my application that most non-European exchange students (which would be me) are put in Birkbeck. However, they still give us an opportunity to request other halls as well.

Loudest/busiest - Birkbeck
Quietest - Chancellors/James Young/Goold

The rest are in the middle of the two really.

Also, be prepared for the Scottish sense of humour. We can be appear to be very derogatory to each other, but that can just be how we interact and is more a sign of endearment :tongue:
I remember meeting a Candian in Edinburgh who said it had really confused him, as in Canada, he said, it wasn't quite the same.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 61
Hey, I applied to halls about a week ago and I was wondering when you get to hear what you've gotten? Is it somewhere around June or even later?

I'm really bad at waiting. :biggrin:
Original post by FinnLassie
Hey, I applied to halls about a week ago and I was wondering when you get to hear what you've gotten? Is it somewhere around June or even later?

I'm really bad at waiting. :biggrin:

Closer to June if you have an unconditional, yes :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by GingerGoat
Closer to June if you have an unconditional, yes :smile:

Yeah I've got an unconditional. :smile: Thanks for the info!
Yeah I've got an unconditional. :smile: Thanks for the info!

Being from Finland I won't even have to warn you about the weather!
Was brilliant at Xmas when it snowed, all the Singaporeans were fascinated as they'd never seen snow before!
Reply 65
Being from Finland I won't even have to warn you about the weather!
Was brilliant at Xmas when it snowed, all the Singaporeans were fascinated as they'd never seen snow before!

I've gone to Scotland so many times and I love the weather! The only thing I'm concerned about is the wind but I'll get used to it haha. And I'm glad that I won't have to look at snow that long as I have to in Finland - this year we were lucky and had snow for only 3 months...
I've gone to Scotland so many times and I love the weather! The only thing I'm concerned about is the wind but I'll get used to it haha. And I'm glad that I won't have to look at snow that long as I have to in Finland - this year we were lucky and had snow for only 3 months...

Aye, it's the wind that generates the famous "horizontal rain" :tongue:
3 months though, that's mental :eek: Even I'd get bored of building snowmen and igloos in that time!
Are you used to the Glaswegian accent then? :lol:
What are you coming to study? :smile:
Reply 67
Aye, it's the wind that generates the famous "horizontal rain" :tongue:
3 months though, that's mental :eek: Even I'd get bored of building snowmen and igloos in that time!
Are you used to the Glaswegian accent then? :lol:

Well, the 10-11 winter was 5 months of snow so... Three months is actually quite nice compared to that. :biggrin:

I'm good with Glaswegian if the person is not drunk phaha! I've been told I have Inverness accent by a Glaswegian and Glasgow area accent by someone from Aberdeen so... I guess I'll blend in somehow. :tongue: Already kind of have, no one sees me as a foreigner except my bf and his family and friends.
Well, the 10-11 winter was 5 months of snow so... Three months is actually quite nice compared to that. :biggrin:

I'm good with Glaswegian if the person is not drunk phaha! I've been told I have Inverness accent by a Glaswegian and Glasgow area accent by someone from Aberdeen so... I guess I'll blend in somehow. :tongue: Already kind of have, no one sees me as a foreigner except my bf and his family and friends.

So...never? :lol: I jest :tongue:
I'm from directly between Aberdeen and Inverness. I get told by my Glaswegian friends that I sound English, 'cause I speak properly. Apparently apart from my voice I'm every inch the Scottish stereotype!

Glasgow's great though, make sure to check out Ashton Lane. It was the inspiration for Diagon Alley in Harry Potter!
Reply 69
So...never? :lol: I jest :tongue:
I'm from directly between Aberdeen and Inverness. I get told by my Glaswegian friends that I sound English, 'cause I speak properly. Apparently apart from my voice I'm every inch the Scottish stereotype!

Glasgow's great though, make sure to check out Ashton Lane. It was the inspiration for Diagon Alley in Harry Potter!

Haha yeah basically! :P I have yet to meet a sober Glasgowman... Pfft, proper English, that's for fools. But, I do speak the British standard (it's what we're taught in school), just not when I'm in Scotland. It's just impossible for me to speak with the "standard" when you're in the land of pure awesome. :biggrin:

Coming to study Primary Education. Sooo glad it's finally moving to the city centre campus, I don't have to battle with public transport. :smile:
Already been to Ashton Lane! There's not much new stuff to see in Glasgow for me... Apart from East End and Govan but they're no have-to-dos. :biggrin:
Reply 70
Did anybody apply for Garnett, James Blyth or Thomas Campbell? :smile: I am pretty interested where I will end up in the end, because I have said that I am neither a totally quiet person or partying the whole time. Oh well, I guess I won't receive an answer too soon anyway as I only got a Conditional (but it still didn't change to Unconditional :s-smilie:). I really hope I get a place in Halls though. Travelling from Germany would not be the easiest option .... :biggrin:
Original post by alaska.
Did anybody apply for Garnett, James Blyth or Thomas Campbell? :smile: I am pretty interested where I will end up in the end, because I have said that I am neither a totally quiet person or partying the whole time. Oh well, I guess I won't receive an answer too soon anyway as I only got a Conditional (but it still didn't change to Unconditional :s-smilie:). I really hope I get a place in Halls though. Travelling from Germany would not be the easiest option .... :biggrin:

Du wirst definitiv eine Stundentenwohnung bekommen, wenn du aus weiter als 40km von der Uni kommst :smile: Ich glaube, dass Deutschland nicht in der Nähe von der Uni ist... :tongue:

Dein angebot wird "unconditional" werden, wenn die Uni deine Noten im August bekommen :smile: Bist du schon nach Schottland gefahren? :biggrin:
Reply 72
Du wirst definitiv eine Stundentenwohnung bekommen, wenn du aus weiter als 40km von der Uni kommst :smile: Ich glaube, dass Deutschland nicht in der Nähe von der Uni ist... :tongue:

Dein angebot wird "unconditional" werden, wenn die Uni deine Noten im August bekommen :smile: Bist du schon nach Schottland gefahren? :biggrin:

Oh, du kannst deutsch :smile: Hast du deutsch an der Schule gelernt? Ich habe meine Abitur-Ergebnisse aber schon zugeschickt. Eigentlich dachte ich auch, dass ich ein Unconditional bekommen würde. Meine Condition war: Beweiskopie von Abitur und TOEFL-Test. Das habe ich vor einem Monat hingeschickt, mal sehen :smile:

Aber das ist ja super, dann weiß ich, dass ich auf jeden Fall irgendwo auf dem Campus unterkomme.

Mein Freund wohnt in Schottland, deshalb bin ich sehr oft in Schottland :smile: War schon an sehr vielen verschiedenen Orten in Schottland, ich finde es so schön dort, deshalb freue ich mich umso mehr, dass es jetzt mit einem Studienplatz hier geklappt hat!

Sorry everybody else for the german response. If anybody wants to know what I said, ask me again :smile:
Original post by alaska.
Oh, du kannst deutsch :smile: Hast du deutsch an der Schule gelernt? Ich habe meine Abitur-Ergebnisse aber schon zugeschickt. Eigentlich dachte ich auch, dass ich ein Unconditional bekommen würde. Meine Condition war: Beweiskopie von Abitur und TOEFL-Test. Das habe ich vor einem Monat hingeschickt, mal sehen :smile:

Aber das ist ja super, dann weiß ich, dass ich auf jeden Fall irgendwo auf dem Campus unterkomme.

Mein Freund wohnt in Schottland, deshalb bin ich sehr oft in Schottland :smile: War schon an sehr vielen verschiedenen Orten in Schottland, ich finde es so schön dort, deshalb freue ich mich umso mehr, dass es jetzt mit einem Studienplatz hier geklappt hat!

Sorry everybody else for the german response. If anybody wants to know what I said, ask me again :smile:

Nein, ich lehre mich selbst Deutsch :tongue: Meine Freundin aus Deutschland spricht perfektes Englisch und ich habe mir schlecht empfindet, dass ich kein Deutsch gesprochen hat. Ich gehe nach Deutschland im Sommer arbeiten, daher ich die Übung brauchen :colondollar:

Ah normalerweise werden sie nicht das Angebot bis August anderen. Haben Sie Geduld! :tongue: In Schottland bekommen wie unsere Noten im August. Ich habe meine Noten an einem Musikfest in meinem letzten Jahr bekommen :tongue:

Wahr, dass Schottland schön ist. Glasgow ist toll auch. Byres Straße liebe ich :love: Aber wirst du alles schon kennen, wenn du schon nach Schottland gefahren hast. :smile: Woher in Deutschland kommst du?

I'll switch to English here, so if you have questions others can benefit too :smile:
But aye, Strathy is great! Und remember, Glasgow is better than Edinburgh, always :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by alaska.

I applied to the exact same halls, haha! :smile: I'm coming from abroad as well, so going to the halls is really the easiest choice - but I'll still try to find a place to live from somewhere else. I'm not a fan of living with too many people, especially when there's students in every direction.
Original post by alaska.

Das ist kein Problem. I was curious about what you were saying, but I was able to understand it! Yay for the 2 years I was taught German at school.
Reply 76
Nein, ich lehre mich selbst Deutsch :tongue: Meine Freundin aus Deutschland spricht perfektes Englisch und ich habe mir schlecht empfindet, dass ich kein Deutsch gesprochen hat. Ich gehe nach Deutschland im Sommer arbeiten, daher ich die Übung brauchen :colondollar:

Ah normalerweise werden sie nicht das Angebot bis August anderen. Haben Sie Geduld! :tongue: In Schottland bekommen wie unsere Noten im August. Ich habe meine Noten an einem Musikfest in meinem letzten Jahr bekommen :tongue:

Wahr, dass Schottland schön ist. Glasgow ist toll auch. Byres Straße liebe ich :love: Aber wirst du alles schon kennen, wenn du schon nach Schottland gefahren hast. :smile: Woher in Deutschland kommst du?

I'll switch to English here, so if you have questions others can benefit too :smile:
But aye, Strathy is great! Und remember, Glasgow is better than Edinburgh, always :wink:

Wow, I should tell my boyfriend! :biggrin: I think he is too shy to try to speak and use the german language! It is great you put so much effort into learning a language all by yourself.
Ah good to know, I am also in contact with a lady from the Undergraduate office. So I know my documents have been received.
I am from North-Rhine-Westphalia, maybe you've been there? :smile: Whereabouts is your girlfriend from?

Haha, I keep that in mind! :biggrin: I guess I will agree after my first year at Glasgow (my boyfriend studies in Edinburgh, so the discussion will be heated up all the time :biggrin:)
Reply 77
I applied to the exact same halls, haha! :smile: I'm coming from abroad as well, so going to the halls is really the easiest choice - but I'll still try to find a place to live from somewhere else. I'm not a fan of living with too many people, especially when there's students in every direction.

Oh wow, were you too afraid of Birkbeck as well?! :biggrin: I already studied a year in Germany, so I do not need the super-party flat. I think it will be very handy to live on campus the first year. I am really looking forward to it. I just hope I get a place, because I do not really want to look for other options.
But if I heard right, then the Residence Service of Strathclyde really tries to put you together with people who prefer the same things or have a similar way of life, so possibly you will still enjoy it :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by alaska.
Oh wow, were you too afraid of Birkbeck as well?! :biggrin: I already studied a year in Germany, so I do not need the super-party flat. I think it will be very handy to live on campus the first year. I am really looking forward to it. I just hope I get a place, because I do not really want to look for other options.
But if I heard right, then the Residence Service of Strathclyde really tries to put you together with people who prefer the same things or have a similar way of life, so possibly you will still enjoy it :smile:

Hahahah yeah! Couple of my bf's mates from uni have lived in Birkbeck and they said it's an absolute no if you want a quiet life. :biggrin:

I'm going to be 20 when I start uni, I had my party days when I was 17... The application was good, ticking wether you're a morning or a night person, what you like to do on your leisure time and all that. :smile:
Reply 79
Hahahah yeah! Couple of my bf's mates from uni have lived in Birkbeck and they said it's an absolute no if you want a quiet life. :biggrin:

I'm going to be 20 when I start uni, I had my party days when I was 17... The application was good, ticking wether you're a morning or a night person, what you like to do on your leisure time and all that. :smile:

I'll be 21. Even older. So I am really interested how it will work out with people who might be 4 years younger than me. The degree I'd like to do would be 5 years, so when I finish I'll be 26 (I think that counts as a mature student in the UK :biggrin:). Haha, lucky I didn't put in down. My boyfriend put it that way: If you like to party, you like to be invited to those parties, not giving them and cleaning all the mess up afterwards :biggrin:. He has a point :biggrin: Is your boyfriend a Scot as well? :smile: how interesting!

Quick Reply