The Student Room Group

Is an Economics degree hard and is it worth doing

I want to pursue a career as a business analyst / working in firm possibly.
Which degree has more value?
Accounting and Finance or Economics

REGARDS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's a business analyst?
sorry financial analyst, or working in a firm not really sure what I want but something along those lines and possibly working with the council / government wouldn't be bad either I suppose....
Reply 3
Original post by ineedtorevise127

REGARDS

lol @ 'working in a firm possibly'

If you want decent advice, you need to give decent context.

Give us your grades/predicted grades, career aspirations, potential university destinations etc
I think the generic TSR response would be that uni generally matters more than degree, as long as the degree is quantitative.

If by financial analyst you mean sort of sell-side IBD? Go to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL or Warwick. Degree won't matter as much, but I'd say Economics would probably be more beneficial than A&F. Maths or Engineering are two other good options.

'working in a firm' could literally mean anything. A firm is a business, not necessarily finance-based. If you're going to be that vague then people could suggest you go work for a dry-cleaners in your local high street, but assuming you mean as a treasurer, internal auditor etc. then again both Economics and A&F are good degrees.

Of course they are hard degrees though... why would they be easy? The point is, if you want to do this as a career there is no easy way about it - you have to do a hard degree to be recognised as intelligent and hard-working, why would an investment bank hire someone with a degree in Surf Studies?

Edit: I'd also suggest doing some research, no one will hire you based on not really being sure what you want to do. If you aren't dedicated to a career then employers will spot it, it's a hard enough industry for people dedicating their lives to it, let alone for people that aren't really sure what they want to do. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
No
Do Maths

Maths will get you anywhere.
Or Engineering.
Reply 6

REGARDS

sorry financial analyst, or working in a firm not really sure what I want but something along those lines and possibly working with the council / government wouldn't be bad either I suppose....

Neither of those job titles exist. You're plans are extremely vague. You don't need Economics do work in business/finance however.
what jobs can get you into economics?
Reply 8
Original post by Jeester
No
Do Maths

Maths will get you anywhere.
Or Engineering.

You have listed what you got in Key Stage 2 and 3 in your academic info.

OP, disregard the opinion of this lame-o.
Reply 9
Original post by RocknRap
You have listed what you got in Key Stage 2 and 3 in your academic info.

OP, disregard the opinion of this lame-o.

Bit Harsh

People obviously want to know all my academic progress.
You, yourself looked.

REGARDS

If you are talking about working as an analyst in investment banks, then Finance and/or accounting would be very useful, also something along the lines of applied maths/statistics.Keep in mind that some of the big investment banks have graduate schemes that people from any discipline can apply to.Keep in mind that no matter what you study, you should go to a good uni and have 2:1 and above, that;s the most important part.
Original post by yothi5
Neither of those job titles exist. You're plans are extremely vague. You don't need Economics do work in business/finance however.

lolwhat?

Business Analyst is a real job :teehee:
My dad is a business analyst and he makes > 70k doing **** knows what.

He did try explaining to me what he does, but I'm not interested in the world of business, so I struggled understanding anything he said :c

OP, my dad did Applied Mathematics at university, but I'm sure Economics can lead you down the same path.
Reply 12
Original post by Jeester
Bit Harsh

People obviously want to know all my academic progress.
You, yourself looked.

Nah, if you're offering it, people are just interested in your uni and degree or failing that GCSE's/A-levels. By showing your KS2/3 marks it looks like you're trying to compensate for your not-so-stellar achievements later on. Or that you're just being a bit of a ponce.

Original post by Id and Ego seek
lolwhat?

Business Analyst is a real job :teehee:
My dad is a business analyst and he makes > 70k doing **** knows what.

He did try explaining to me what he does, but I'm not interested in the world of business, so I struggled understanding anything he said :c

OP, my dad did Applied Mathematics at university, but I'm sure Economics can lead you down the same path.

Business analyst roles do exist but their nature varies according to the industry/firm/postition. 'Business analyst' on its own is extremely general.

And you know your dad's income? Interdasting....
On the whole talking about salaries with friends/family/co-workers is pretty taboo

And you know your dad's income? Interdasting....
On the whole talking about salaries with friends/family/co-workers is pretty taboo

It's terrible: he uses it as a means of reminding me the importance of a degree's starting graduate salary; i.e. 'study a degree in demand which has a prospective high salary; do not follow your heart' :rolleyes:
Can't say he's too impressed with me wanting to study psychology, linguistics or philosophy.

And, ah right, I didn't know that :wink:
Reply 14
It's terrible: he uses it as a means of reminding me the importance of a degree's starting graduate salary; i.e. 'study a degree in demand which has a prospective high salary; do not follow your heart' :rolleyes:
Can't say he's too impressed with me wanting to study psychology, linguistics or philosophy.

Well that's a shortsighted line of thinking because there isn't a perfect correlation between starting salaries and future earnings potential - it does vary.
Reply 15

ahh and your username is very relevant
Reply 16
Don't study economics. It's really boring, and not even relevant to anything in the real world. Beyond the first term, the course just becomes an intellectual masturbation over mathematics and equilibrium concepts. Do something you enjoy, and so long as it's quantitative, it should be as if not more highly regarded than econ when it comes to the financial sector.
Yes it's very hard, prepare to have headaches on a regular basis :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Blutooth
Don't study economics. It's really boring, and not even relevant to anything in the real world. Beyond the first term, the course just becomes an intellectual masturbation over mathematics and equilibrium concepts. Do something you enjoy, and so long as it's quantitative, it should be as if not more highly regarded than econ when it comes to the financial sector.

Says the person who will be studying philosophy
Reply 19
Says the person who will be studying philosophy

I'm not gonna lie, a lot of philosophy can be wishy-washy but I still find it fun and fundamental. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending