The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

That film, with the director it has, is going to be great. Providing he finds an editor as good as Sally Menke was, and isn't just allowed to run amok without anyone daring to stand up to him. Oh god please don't turn into George Lucas, Quentin.
Oh **** yeah, he needs to be reined a bit. It does look amazing though. I find the idea of a "Southern" outstnding tbh. Has it been done before?
Reply 6122
Got a bunch of DVDs when on holiday this time around, very pleased with my acquisitions. :biggrin:

Original post by aja89
I like the look of this.

I wanted to watch that when it came out, but didn't quite get the time. :frown: From what I hear, it's fairly good but not outstanding.

Ape Gone Insane
Hm, The Hobbit's new 48 frames per second didn't leave good impresssions.

I know what s/he means, that happens to me when I watch HD stuff sometimes. Hopefully, something can/will be done about it such that it only enhances the viewing experience...

Christien
Lawless trailer. Doesn't look great, but I'm a fan of the setting and I'll watch Oldman and Pearce in anything. Shia LaBoeuf, through no fault of his own, just reminds me of Christopher Moltisanti from The Sopranos and I have trouble taking him seriously as a result.

Plus Tom Hardy and Jessica Chastain. :drool: LaBoeuf will have to work to screw this one up. (Though yeah, I'd agree it doesn't look particularly fantastic at first glance, but it could be good; there's a potential interesting premise there, I think)

philistine
I just finished watching Uzo's Tokyo Story, at long bloody last. Absolutely brilliant film.

The amount of comprehensive hemming and hawing did get on my tits at times, mind.

Very high on my to-watch list, having difficulty finding it. :sadnod:

I did finally find and get Seven Samurai, though, looking forward to seeing that. :h:

Colonel.

Oh **** yeah, he needs to be reined a bit. It does look amazing though. I find the idea of a "Southern" outstnding tbh. Has it been done before?

Here's something else that might interest you (in particular) if you haven't seen it already: the Cannes Festival's Classics Wing have released their list for 2012 - old films they're going to remaster, or première, or re-release - and one of the standouts is that they're finally going to release, for the first time, the extended version of Once Upon a Time in America: the version Leone intended to be shown, and that was cut down by the studio before the original release.
(edited 12 years ago)
K. I'm going to Cannes then.
Reply 6124
Original post by Colonel.
K. I'm going to Cannes then.

Surely it means they will now (eventually) release it in DVD/Blueray/whatever format?
Original post by Abiraleft
Surely it means they will now (eventually) release it in DVD/Blueray/whatever format?

Yeah, but imagine being there, the first time anyone sees this "true" version :daydreaming:

I will probably end up with the Blu-Ray though :colondollar:
Reply 6126
Original post by Colonel.
Yeah, but imagine being there, the first time anyone sees this "true" version :daydreaming:

Oh absolutely. :coma: I was just unsure because I re-read it and thought your comment might have been an allusion to the fact that it's (quite assertively) proper film, not digital content. :colondollar:
Original post by S-man10
Just watched The Avengers ...

Thoughts?
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Thoughts?

go watch it is all i can say :colonhash:
Reply 6129
Original post by S-man10
go watch it is all i can say :colonhash:

I'm quite looking forward to it given the great reviews it's been getting, but I'm also a bit cautious due to being disappointed by the last two superhero films I watched that were similarly hyped - X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger. In relation to this, particularly the latter, for obvious reasons. :holmes:
Original post by Abiraleft
I'm quite looking forward to it given the great reviews it's been getting, but I'm also a bit cautious due to being disappointed by the last two superhero films I watched that were similarly hyped - X-Men: First Class and Captain America: The First Avenger. In relation to this, particularly the latter, for obvious reasons. :holmes:

Captain america was a bit of a a let down but I primarily watched because of the avengers. I didn't look at it too much from a critical eyes but it was one orgasmic superhero orgy to say the least :sogood:
Reply 6131
Original post by S-man10
Captain america was a bit of a a let down but I primarily watched because of the avengers. I didn't look at it too much from a critical eyes but it was one orgasmic superhero orgy to say the least :sogood:

Yeah, that seems to be the general view. :teehee:

In other news, Robert Redford has criticized David Cameron for having a 'narrow view' of the film industry, speaking ahead of the Sundance Fest in London. On which note, is anyone here going to Sundance? :coma:
Okay, so The Avengers is great. I was worried about it doing justice to all the characters in the limited screentime; worried about Loki being a compelling antagonist again; worried about the presumed dominance of Downey Jr's Iron Man over the rest of the team (based on the trailers). I am an idiot and should be violently killed. The Avengers is ridiculously fun, sharply written and as excellent a superhero film as you're likely to get this summer. *

*I care more about TDKR than this, but we can't really call Nolan's Batman films superhero movies at this stage.
I'm going to be very interested in seeing it at 48fps. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a little like the first time I saw Public Enemies in the cinema. That was shot in a HD digital format that looked so unlike 35mm that it initially looks really jarring - the backdrops pop out of the screen in a way that you think doesn't look real, whereas in reality what is happening is that it doesn't look like other films, which are actually quite far removed from an accurate picture a lot of the time. But you sink into it, and by the end of the film I really appreciated the visuals, which planted you in the film to a much better extent than most period films could dream of managing. If you only saw ten minutes of it though you'd probably think it looked pretty weird too.
Reply 6135
Re-watched In The Name of the Father (which I only recently got on DVD) today - still as good as the first time I saw it. :h:
He doesn't address the complaints of seeing through the costume and makeup, as if you can see certain wigs are fake. I'll discount it when I properly see it though.
Avengers was so good.
Just finished René Clair's À nous la liberté. I enjoyed it, though can't decide whether or not it was better than Le Million (which is often considered to be a bomb in comparison).

I'd recommend both though, definitely.
Watched my first Woody Allen film today, Hannah and Her Sisters.

It was immense, interesting and surprisingly sophisticated. I can't believe such good films existed at that time! Not I just need to dig in all Woody Allen's films!

Quick Reply

Latest